Romance gift for those that choose to skip content.

GregoriusV

A "gift", sort of like the commanders compendium or regular companion gifts that would allow you to have a actual working romance with for example Lana after players choose to buy a master datacron / commanders character token. Its such a shame that you're allowed to pay to skip certain content but are being "punished" by being limited to generic choices.

This gift would be awesome with a storyline, but i understand that this is extra work and i would be fine with just a mail that says congrats you are now married/ together/ a pair...... as long as the new date nights and such become available and it would be as if you chosen to be together in the skipped content

Same "rules" would apply as normal play, you can only gift it with current companions that are able to be romanced. So no Kira for you soldier 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great idea, Gregorius!!! +1000. Perhaps one could also change your romance (of course only to eligible characters). An Email confirming the change would be enough, so it's low effort for devs. I second the suggestion.

If you skip the content do the chapters unlock so you can play them all individually? If so you can probably just play the right chapter to begin the romance with the character. If not, not much you can do.

But this feeds into my suggestion from the past of something akin to the Tapestry we had for dragon age where you could choose the "canon" choices for your playthrough to fix a scuffed story or if you didn't play the older games. Kotfe and kotet just need that at this point and you could add the romance into it again just like it was on the dragon age tapestry (which still exists on dragon age keep btw)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rohndogg said:

If you skip the content do the chapters unlock so you can play them all individually? If so you can probably just play the right chapter to begin the romance with the character. If not, not much you can do.

As far as I'm aware, once you've completed a chapter any hard-locked choices are irreversible (Ala. If you confirm the romance with Lana in your initial playthrough of Ch.9, you can't replay Ch.9 and lock in a romance with Theron) so I suspect this wouldn't work

7 hours ago, GregoriusV said:

allow you to have a actual working romance with for example Lana after players choose to buy a master datacron

The Master's Datacron does not prevent you from starting a romance with Lana.

Using it, then skipping ahead to Jedi Under Siege most definitely does, but that's because you skipped ahead past KotFE, not because you used the Master's Datacron.  (If you level up manually from level 1 to level 70+ without beginning KotFE, and then jump to JUS, you end up with the same problem.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

The Master's Datacron does not prevent you from starting a romance with Lana.

Using it, then skipping ahead to Jedi Under Siege most definitely does, but that's because you skipped ahead past KotFE, not because you used the Master's Datacron.  (If you level up manually from level 1 to level 70+ without beginning KotFE, and then jump to JUS, you end up with the same problem.)

I understand that you're able to do this, my point is it would be used mostly by players actually choosing to skip this content, maybe because they've played it on several other toons and just want to (insert reason). I believe that if you're allowed to skip content you should not be limited to a default choice. for example, i have a knight in a romance with Kira, i would like one with Lana as well. I am willing to use the above means of fast leveling (i.e.) datacron/ commander token but don't want to play the entire kotfe chapter to make that choice. this would be a simple solution. 

10 hours ago, DaddyAlduin said:

As far as I'm aware, once you've completed a chapter any hard-locked choices are irreversible (Ala. If you confirm the romance with Lana in your initial playthrough of Ch.9, you can't replay Ch.9 and lock in a romance with Theron) so I suspect this wouldn't work

Yes they are irreversible, but this would not be that choice, its an entirelly different means to a romance. Similar to being able to influence comp to 50 with an item. I would even be fine with an from now on scenario, meaning that every choice you made was as a single, from the moment you take it you make new choices as if in a romance. Also this would be a one time thing, after all you wouldn't want to be know as the person who has a go with your entire alliance

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rohndogg said:

But this feeds into my suggestion from the past of something akin to the Tapestry we had for dragon age where you could choose the "canon" choices for your playthrough to fix a scuffed story or if you didn't play the older games. Kotfe and kotet just need that at this point and you could add the romance into it again just like it was on the dragon age tapestry (which still exists on dragon age keep btw)

Nah, they don't unlock individually, because you need to actually play them, or make the game think you've played them by skipping and having generic choices made in them.

I like the idea of a player input when skipping, maybe not very elaborate, but the some parts..i.e. romance choices, sparing people, etc. but i'm afraid this would be more intense to implement then an item

• Like 1

I know skipping makes generic choices. I just meant after you skip are they still greyed out. KOTFE and KOTET are the worst content in the game and I avoid it as much as possible only playing it on characters that would not make the "default" choices. So I never desire to go back to it. As such I wasn't sure if skipping caused them to become available because I literally never looked. But it sounds like even if you can go back that you likely won't be able to choose the romance. I figured since you technically didn't choose there's a chance you could go in and choose and THEN you'd be locked from there forward.

And frankly I don't think it would be that intense to do a simple menu with dropdowns for the choices. Or a decision tree. Literally just needs to set status/quest/mission/whatever they call them flags for the story. If the skip can arbitrarily do it, if dialog locks it in, etc. then all we need is a way to access those triggers. Hell a "mission" similar to the second role "mission" where you basically just get asked a series of questions, like an interview with the commander or something. They have so many items for companions, why not a mission unlock for skipping?

I have about 4 different ideas for how it could be effectively implemented. I've spent more time on this topic in this game than ANY other. KOTFE/KOTET is the biggest weight this game drags behind it imo. Stuff like this is why. It so arbitrarily locks so many unchangeable details behind a horrible slog of repetitive missions and enemies.

Onslaught dropped 5 years ago. There has been plenty of time to make skipping better lol

12 hours ago, GregoriusV said:

I believe that if you're allowed to skip content you should not be limited to a default choice.

Unfortunately, that's not what the studio believes.  (They said so explicitly one time.)

12 hours ago, GregoriusV said:

Nah, they don't unlock individually

I suspect that @Rohndogg meant "do the chapters unlock so [[you can play them all individually]]" rather than "[[do the chapters unlock individually]] so you can play them".  That is, the "individually" referred to the ability to play each one by itself after unlocking them all by skipping.

And the answer to the question is yes, once you skip them, the whole lot is unlocked for individual replay, just the same as if you play through them manually.

14 hours ago, GregoriusV said:

Yes they are irreversible, but this would not be that choice, its an entirelly different means to a romance. Similar to being able to influence comp to 50 with an item. I would even be fine with an from now on scenario, meaning that every choice you made was as a single, from the moment you take it you make new choices as if in a romance. Also this would be a one time thing, after all you wouldn't want to be know as the person who has a go with your entire alliance

I was replying to someone asking a hypothetical question about whether playing chapters after skipping them would potentially allow you to initiate the romance, not referring to a hypothetical item/whatever that would allow you to make choices!

On 3/27/2024 at 3:23 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

Unfortunately, that's not what the studio believes.  (They said so explicitly one time.)

I suspect that @Rohndogg meant "do the chapters unlock so [[you can play them all individually]]" rather than "[[do the chapters unlock individually]] so you can play them".  That is, the "individually" referred to the ability to play each one by itself after unlocking them all by skipping.

And the answer to the question is yes, once you skip them, the whole lot is unlocked for individual replay, just the same as if you play through them manually.

That WAS my question. So hypothetically replaying the chapter may allow it as you've not technically made that decision yet. It may not, idk how they set the flag. But yes, you've at least understood what I was getting at, so thank you. Sorry if I was unclear

1 hour ago, Rohndogg said:

So hypothetically replaying the chapter may allow it as you've not technically made that decision yet

Unfortunately, all those decisions count as already made.  (It's as if you send the character off to play through the missions in a split-second, and the character makes all those decisions along the way.)

• Thanks 1