targeting system

When I first began playing SWTOR, I was able to go into settings & change how the targeting system was set up. Now I can no longer do that, & every time I go into combat, it locks onto the farthest away target, even though I have two enemies in my face, hitting, shooting, & stabbing my character. I know I can change targets, but I am tired of it always locking onto the farthest away. Sometimes it won't lock on to a target at all. I have had many times where I attacked an enemy & when he is killed, the other two shooting away at me, & my targeting will not go to the next one until I actually click on that enemy. 

I know I can usually defeat them easily anyway, but there have been times where I was attacking a group of four, & after killing the first, my targeting system locks onto a different group & my next shot goes in their direction causing more to join the fight, & in situations where those groups have a leader or boss, it becomes more difficult to beat, & often I end up getting killed quickly because my targeting system will not lock onto the correct enemy. 

Does anyone know if I can change the targeting system? I looked and could not find anything.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have found the settings to make my next target the closest one. but it still keeps targeting the farthest one away from me, if it locks onto anything at all. Often I have to manually click on the target to fight them, even though I have four enemies standing right in front of me hitting me with their swords or blasters. I have also found that many times, even though the enemy is locked in as my target, even my basic strike will not do anything until I manually click that target again. It gets frustrating when in battle & you can't do anything. None of strikes seem to work even though they are ready for use, & finally after clicking again on the one already with the red circle showing its my target, then the strikes work again. 

I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem. or is it just my system, which is a new pc with good graphics way beyond the requirements of this game.

• Like 1

In the Settings, under Keybindings, I usually bind "Target Nearest Enemy" to the R key. I don't need R to open chat, since I can already do that with the Enter key. And then, if I need to toggle to other enemies, the Tab key works.

Usually, if you're not targeting anyone, then as soon as an enemy hits you, the default is to target them. In some situations, when your teammates or companions interact with (i.e. heal) you, it causes you to target them as well (which is particularly annoying with the B3-S1 Basilisk Droid, who is constantly pulling you off target and making you target them instead). But with this change in keybind, you'll have a quick way to target the nearest enemy, and then Tab will give you further options to cycle through.

• Like 1

I realize it is the nearest in view, however, that is not what it is doing as many times the nearest enemy who was standing in almost the exact same spot as the one I just killed, yet it does not target him, instead, targeting the one farthest away & off to my left. 

The targeting in this game can be a bit wonky at times. A few times it has targeted an enemy behind me, not in view, and sometimes it targets some one in view, but that belongs to a different NPC group, and I don't notice, and start attacking that group along with the one I'm currently fighting. Very annoying.

There are settings you can try. I had to play around with it for some time before figuring out which setting did what in regards to targeting. Since the game is down for an update, I can't really help you, and I don't remember on the top of my head the settings I'm using.

Edited by Otowi
Corrected a minor typo.