Complaining about maintenance again post #372

Spitsworth

They have to do updates now before the holidays starts and the devs go on vacation. 

And update days will allways hit some ones prime time, or days they have available to play on. It's unfortunate, but at same time it's something that needs doing.

• Like 3

If 7.4 came later *and yes they have run new content updates later in the month of December* there would be little to no time to fix anything.
It's not great that 7.4 had issues but at least we got at least a week earlier to get it and them fixing it in a day means they want it to be running optimal before they go on vacation.
I only see this as a plus :D

8 minutes ago, Otowi said:

They have to do updates now before the holidays starts and the devs go on vacation. 

And update days will allways hit some ones prime time, or days they have available to play on. It's unfortunate, but at same time it's something that needs doing.

Game was working just fine for me. Now it's not working at all.

• Like 1

If it is any consolation, this has become a Christmas tradition.  

We are very lucky they launched on time otherwise we would have had to live with the problems until January as they seem to take a huge amount of time (like government scale time) off towards the end of December.  I my opinion, except the crashes and horrendous new GTN, this launch was smoother than prior December launches.  

17 minutes ago, Morningbob said:

Complain when there are bugs, then complain when they fix them.  Geez.

At least they are reacting fast and trying to get some fixes in.

Please direct me to the post where I complained about bugs. You can check my posting history.

7 minutes ago, Spitsworth said:

Please direct me to the post where I complained about bugs. You can check my posting history.

Fair enough, not you specifically, but to your complaint about prime time in your region.  No matter when they do it, it will be prime time somewhere.   You can't make everyone happy, and they are based in the US, so it makes sense that they would be implementing updates/patches during "working hours" in the US.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, LanceDefender said:

My problem is however, why they always do maintenace in the middle of day in Europe. As always US>EU.

I guess you need to make sure the only online games you play are developed in EU then so they will make sure to do maintenance and updates that favor EU-based players 🙄.  It's like you want the US based SWTOR devs to work during EU working hours instead of US working hours.  Since SWTOR has never done updates by region but only for the entire game there will always be some region that experiences more inconvenient maintenance times than other regions.

9 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

I guess you need to make sure the only online games you play are developed in EU then so they will make sure to do maintenance and updates that favor EU-based players 🙄.  It's like you want the US based SWTOR devs to work during EU working hours instead of US working hours.  Since SWTOR has never done updates by region but only for the entire game there will always be some region that experiences more inconvenient maintenance times than other regions.

Expanding to Asia Pacific to attract players in a new market and then scheduling your maintenance time for peak hours in that region isn't the smartest move though is it

3 minutes ago, Spitsworth said:

Expanding to Asia Pacific to attract players in a new market and then scheduling your maintenance time for peak hours in that region isn't the smartest move though is it

You're right.  They should never have opened an APAC server (which many requested) and need to shut it down immediately.  /s

1 minute ago, Spitsworth said:

As I already stated, SWTOR has always done updates on a game wide basis, not by region.  Some region is always going to be more inconvenienced by downtimes for game updates.  Maybe you would prefer to not have an APAC server and just stick with down times in APAC peak hours and poor server latency.  After seeing all the complaints about the APAC server posted in these forums I've really started wondering if it was worth the devs time and effort to do APAC players a solid by getting them a regional server to play on after taking such servers away from them in 2013.

2 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

As I already stated, SWTOR has always done updates on a game wide basis, not by region.  Some region is always going to be more inconvenienced by downtimes for game updates.  Maybe you would prefer to not have an APAC server and just stick with down times in APAC peak hours and poor server latency.  After seeing all the complaints about the APAC server posted in these forums I've really started wondering if it was worth the devs time and effort to do APAC players a solid by getting them a regional server to play on after taking such servers away from them in 2013.

You completely ignored what I said because you can't defend scheduling maintenance for peak time in their new market.

Maintenance times in almost every MMO is scheduled for the benefit of US players. In this case, that is clearly poor planning as they literally just launched in Asia this week. Having 2 maintenances in 2 days during peak hours is going to lose them a lot of their new players in that region because their new customers' first experiences with the game are crucial to keeping them. 

Edited by Spitsworth

1 minute ago, Spitsworth said:

You completely ignored what I said because you can't defend scheduling maintenance for peak time in their new market.

I think you're just operating in your own fantasy world where everything and everyone is supposed to cater to your every whim.

Just now, Char_Ell said:

I think you're just operating in your own fantasy world where everything and everyone is supposed to cater to your every whim.

I think you are dodging the point because you can't admit I'm right about this.

Scheduling maintenance for peak time in their new market in the first week of launch is a very dumb decision.

18 minutes ago, Spitsworth said:

Scheduling maintenance for peak time in their new market in the first week of launch is a very dumb decision.

Maybe I can understand a new player from APAC region feeling this way.  All I can tell you is that SWTOR game updates typically (not always) occur in between 7 AM - 12 PM US Central time which is midnight - 5 AM AEDT.  Perhaps other veteran APAC players can confirm.  And now that I actually calculated out the time difference you consider this to be APAC peak time?

If APAC has the lowest number of SWTOR players compared to US and EU then it also makes sense to schedule SWTOR's down time that will be less inconvenient for the many at the expense of the few.  However I think the real reason is SWTOR's core dev team works on US Central time and they schedule maintenance time at the beginning of their normal work day.

2 hours ago, Spitsworth said:

2 maintenances in 2 days during the time I have for gaming. Makes me feel so good about returning as a player and paying a sub to have the game shut down so often :) Thanks, devs /s

One of the reason, was a new mission on Ord Mantel, for the new story.   The items were not working right when you had to click them, causing many problems.

I agree with the OP. There was no way we could have known where the ppl who worked on the game are based and what time the server goes down for maintenance every single time a patch is released. We've only had 11 years .. it's not a big enough sample size 🥴🥴 if I had known this info I would have never started to play swtor especially on an apac server because those few hours of down time will ruin my entire year and swtor might never come back online and this was my last ever chance to play 😭😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LMAO I guess it's better to not release any new contents and not hot-fixing any game breaking bugs.

LMAO every Tuesday maintenance is my Prime Gaming Time I guess I should demand Broadsword to refund 10% of my subscription fees.

/s if it's not obvious.

I do diss Bioware/Broadsword a lot but credit where it's due I'm actually impressed that they released a fix that fast and with a good communication about the what and why about it.

• Like 1