Legacy System?

FlyingGroundhog

I'm not sure what the Legacy system is, at first I thought it was a way to put your character's name into your alt's name? I am confused. :confused:

it unlocks surnames that are shared across all of your toons and it gains xp and levels after unlock, but I don't think gaining legacy levels does anything yet.

Correct on the part that Legacy does nothing else besides unlocks a last name for all of your characters on that server. However, the devs have plans to add a LOT of things to the legacy system, including special abilities, powers, titles, gear, and probably more that hasn't been mentioned.

All in all, if you want to get any of these nifty things, I'd suggest trying to unlock Legacy as soon as you can, so you start earning Legacy XP ASAP. They've said that all legacy XP will carry over and be used retroactively once everything goes live.

it unlocks surnames that are shared across all of your toons and it gains xp and levels after unlock, but I don't think gaining legacy levels does anything yet.

Which is why I won't be bothering. Never had any two MMO characters with the same last name. Not even in different games. Not something I'm interested in. IF, however, they let us have last names(so that we could have more naming options), and made Legacy an option, that'd be fine.

Unfortunately for you, the Legacy system, from what I've seen in the forums, is not an option! Too many people have said the window wouldn't go away until they entered something. And it also appears to be unchangeable once chosen, so you just might want to think of some decent names to keep on hand, just in case you change your mind.

Fortunately for you it isn't something you have to display. It is an optional display just like titles are. I've only seen a few running around but I think it displays under your name similar to quild affiliation.

Darth John

The Doe Legacy

<Morgue Mother's>

Or something like that.

On the good side, if you don't want to take advantage of what it may give in the future, at this time it all appears to be passive things that will benefit you but don't have a dramatic impact on the game.

Some games don't even have last names so if you don't like having multiple characters with the same last name, just don't display it, or you can use it as the title option "The xxxx Legacy"

Also it's not ALL characters. It's all characters on that server. You can have the legacy name xxxx on server 1 and the legacy name yyyyy on server 2

Some games don't even have last names so if you don't like having multiple characters with the same last name, just don't display it, or you can use it as the title option "The xxxx Legacy"

Also it's not ALL characters. It's all characters on that server. You can have the legacy name xxxx on server 1 and the legacy name yyyyy on server 2

Not a matter of seeing it, they'd still have the same name. None of my characters are ever related, and, unless you're into RP(I'm not, at all), I see no reason to have them have the same last name.

I'm aware of that, but it makes no difference.

Not a matter of seeing it, they'd still have the same name. None of my characters are ever related, and, unless you're into RP(I'm not, at all), I see no reason to have them have the same last name.

I'm aware of that, but it makes no difference.

If you don't display it then no one will know that you have the same last name. If you can't get over the fact that you know then, and sorry if this sounds harsh, but seek professional help. This is the system that they designed and they made it so that you're not forced to display the same last name.

You don't understand my point, I see. It isn't anything to do with whether or not the legacy name is displayed, or knowing it exists myself, it's that's it's automatically applied to all characters on that server. They should add a checkbox in character creation, so you can choose to make it a Legacy character, and have the last name applied automatically, but leaving the option of a different last name available to the player.

You don't understand my point, I see. It isn't anything to do with whether or not the legacy name is displayed, or knowing it exists myself, it's that's it's automatically applied to all characters on that server. They should add a checkbox in character creation, so you can choose to make it a Legacy character, and have the last name applied automatically, but leaving the option of a different last name available to the player.

That's not the way the system works though. The Surname isn't the beginning and end of the legacy system, it's just the beginning. You can have the last name apply or you can not display it, those are your options and they're just fine for most people. If you're not into RP i'm not sure why you care anyway.

Edited by Dasffion

I wasn't suggesting that that's how the current system works, only that that's how I'd like it to work, because I feel it's a better system. I saw the post stating that there will be benefits to the Legacy system later on. As to "If you're not into RP i'm not sure why you care anyway.", it's because it seems really odd, as well as restrictive, to have a character with only one name. When I was making my first character, I was surprised and dissapointed to find out I wasn't able to have a last name, since I already had a few last names in mind to use. Edited by HuYuMi

I saw the post stating that there will be benefits to the Legacy system later on. As to "If you're not into RP i'm not sure why you care anyway.", it's because it seems really odd, as well as restrictive, to have a character with only one name. When I was making my first character, I was surprised and dissapointed to find out I wasn't able to have a last name, since I already had a few last names in mind to use.

Granted I haven't played a whole lot of MMOs but the ones I have never had a last name option. The only game I have played with a last name option was a MUD so what is normal to you isn't normal to others.

Is it actually like this?

Rather than 'John Doe' you could have a Legacy name that is not necessarily a surname, but more of a title your legacy stands for?

you can choose to display it as a surname...

John Doe

choose to display it as a title, kinda like a guild name under your first name...

John

<The Doe Legacy>

or you can choose to not display it at all.