Ping has gone crazy after cloud servers

AmreshS

Hi I don't really use the forum so sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

I live in Australia so my ping is normally high at 290-340 ms, which while not great is still playable. But after the cloud servers were brought in my ping goes crazy and can vary from 340-2000ms, and ping spikes are more common now as well. It's gotten to the point where I launch the game, play for 2 minutes, get super bad ping spikes and quit. It's hard to play the game when your character is 5 seconds behind everyone else.

IDK if this is a problem on my part or on SWTOR's but I would be interested in some suggestions to help make my ping more stable.

• Thanks 1

Not as extreme as yours but playing from the UK on SS server I used to get between 80-90ms ping, since the transfer to cloud servers my ping never goes below 99ms and usually averages around 140ms with spikes up to 900ms which often causes a 'soft lock' where I can't move or do anything until it recovers.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tantala said:

Hmmm.  I've been noticing that the system seems to be ignoring key commands at times.  I was considering buying a new keyboard.  How are you measuring ping?  

Using Interface Editor, you can add "Signal" on Utility Bars. Hover over it to see ping/latency.

I have an older machine. Ping is 160+ on non US servers for me as I'm in the US. But, yesterday, Windows Updates were downloading and installing and I basically couldn't hardly move in warzones or Sparks of War 24 man group. Lag was unplayable (almost). 

There is also some HUGE disconnect with what I've seen called server drop or some such naming. Ever since 7.0 and worse with Cloud. Commands clicked, buttons pushed, seem to not take effect at times. Or there is some lag where the server drops your command.

Companions are also lagging big time.

Something is definitely wonky in this new server environment.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Saeten said:

[...]

Something is definitely wonky in this new server environment.

this something is called AWS.

since they announced that the server will move to AWS i tracked the latency playing on different servers,
via a network tool and checked it with the ingame information. on bioware servers, both were pretty close.

when they moved to the cloud, i also tracked that and also checked it with the ingame signal. here there
was a hugh difference. so the ping shown by the network tool was way higher than what is shown ingame.

so compared to pre-aws i got a slightly shown higher ping, but higher ping in general. also the ping is
way more fluctuating. 

i did that, because i talked with some guys playing other games on AWS servers and they told me,
that AWS is pretty unstable there, too. it's okaying for what they are doing, but they also noticed
ping fluctuations and random disconnects, while everything else is still working fine.

My ping is all over the place. Starts at 215ms & constantly spiking to 330-400ms. It makes PvP or anything competitive nearly impossible. The only thing playable is easy story or space barbies. I can’t even use WTFast anymore since swtor ported to AWS because the IP address & routing changes each time you login in now. If BioSword don’t open an APAC server soon, I’m not sure APAC players will stick around for this type of erratic ping. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

they always try to sell everything as shiny as possible,
but at the end, it's mostly just a strategic decision.

it's the same with moving to the cloud. 
if there will be tons of new players, they adjust their plan
and increase ressources for a time. if they leave again,
you fall back to the old one. so you won't get massive
additional stability problems and don't sit on high costs,
because you speculated that they stay in the game. 
and even if a hugh chunk of players leave the game,
you can adjust it to a bare minimum and still be some
kind of cost efficient. 

so it is just some kind of safety in planning.

5 hours ago, fabsus said:

since they announced that the server will move to AWS i tracked the latency playing on different servers,
via a network tool and checked it with the ingame information. on bioware servers, both were pretty close.

when they moved to the cloud, i also tracked that and also checked it with the ingame signal. here there
was a hugh difference. so the ping shown by the network tool was way higher than what is shown ingame.

What network tool are you using to measure your PC's latency to SWTOR servers that shows you significantly different latency numbers than SWTOR's in-game latency meter shows?

6 hours ago, Char_Ell said:

What network tool are you using to measure your PC's latency to SWTOR servers that shows you significantly different latency numbers than SWTOR's in-game latency meter shows?

From what I can tell, there are zero tools that will actually show you the actual ping outside the game now. Because Amazon block ping requests on the end ip address. They just time out, no matter what tools you use. 😡😡😡 The best you can hope for is pinging the ip just before the final hop. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

There is also some new exotic form of DDOS going on this week. It seems able to generate a ton more traffic with fewer compromised systems. Reports are it is heavily targeting Amazon, Google and major Social Media servers. So that might be some impact. It could also be AWS's traditional habit of not delivering the actual bandwidth and server response that they promise the client they can. 

1 hour ago, Faefrost said:

There is also some new exotic form of DDOS going on this week. It seems able to generate a ton more traffic with fewer compromised systems. Reports are it is heavily targeting Amazon, Google and major Social Media servers. So that might be some impact. It could also be AWS's traditional habit of not delivering the actual bandwidth and server response that they promise the client they can. 

But what about before this week 🤷🏻‍♀️

And if we could actually ping the server with our network tools, we could see if there are server issues.

But it seems AWS or maybe BioSword themselves have set them up to obscure the true latency to & from the servers.

Which is probably an anti-DDOS measure, but it sure makes diagnosing network issues much harder 😡