Returning player wanting pvp(Please red devs)

DrDrinking

Let me preface that I returned a few months ago after not having played since close to the original games release. Now I know pvp is not all that populated, but I'm doing it wrong maybe? I go to activites and queue. It never shows anybody else queued, even if I see people saying queue in game chat. I pvp instance lobby list or something similar would be a game changer for me for pvp. If i see that people are playing I may join, but currently the only way I know how to do that is wait for people hanging out in the telling others to queue. Bottom line is pvp is not intuitive at all and could use an overall just as much as the gtn post.

9 hours ago, Crystal_Mind said:

The PvP queue works the same way as any other queue in this game. You hit the queue button and wait for a pop. During prime time on your server, this may take anywhere from 2 to 20 HOURS (minutes) at level 80.

Sorry but PvP in a game that is tuned for PvE is an Oxymoron...

Oh fixed your post for you....

But yeah I hear you. Queuing for anything in SWToR is a lesson in futility....

PvP is active mostly on Tuesdays due to poor Dev changes killing the game mode & adding in the battle pass.

You can get active Qs on Starforge but the changes have basically destroyed all casual play & solo is just rough as you'll almost always get the crappy team. You will be at a significant disadvantage as most Q in groups now to try & have some level of enjoyment still. 

But PvP has been downright abandoned at this point. For YEARS the complaint has been the same: Get rid of Huttball, add a 8v8 deathmatch, add more levels, stop breaking the balance every patch cycle. 

7.0 era PvP is legitimately the worst its ever been no matter what style you play. We're heading in the absolute wrong direction. And we get no feedback on it at all. 

49 minutes ago, TheVoyant said:

7.0 era PvP is legitimately the worst its ever been no matter what style you play. We're heading in the absolute wrong direction. And we get no feedback on it at all

Meh I don't agree. I think 5.0 was just as bad because merc stacking and the insanely overpowered net made for some miserable matches. 

44 minutes ago, KathiosLorano said:

I would love more world PvP. That was what made PvP fun. Like more contested areas like Outlaws Den. But I’m content with just doing WZs and Arena. Though wish ranked PvP was still a thing. I get PvP seasons are a thing now but would love to see more from a community perspective. 

Wpvp doesn't exist because the engine can't handle it. It can handle small skirmishes here and there but for the big battles that make world pvp epic its not possible on the hero engine unfortunately. 

55 minutes ago, Samcuu said:

Meh I don't agree. I think 5.0 was just as bad because merc stacking and the insanely overpowered net made for some miserable matches. 

Sure, but people still played it & had a chance at solo q's, people still dueled often, there were active communities to teach people how to pvp, etc.

It might have been worse on a balancing aspect but not in every single category. Not to mention you see a large excess of mercs & juggs for similar reasons, being overpowered.

Edited by TheVoyant

On 9/1/2023 at 5:42 PM, denavin said:

Sorry but PvP in a game that is tuned for PvE is an Oxymoron...

Oh fixed your post for you....

But yeah I hear you. Queuing for anything in SWToR is a lesson in futility....

one might argue that the tool he's asking for is MORE important in a game that doesn't have a large pvp population as finding out if there are ppl in the queue is more of an issue.

fwiw, you can always search the instances for the various pvp maps. I've only done it for arenas (e.g., "corellia square" or just "square"). if there are ppl in it, then there is an active match.

I'd rather devs focus on a number of other issues regarding pvp atm, but gl on this.

31 minutes ago, krackcommando said:

one might argue that the tool he's asking for is MORE important in a game that doesn't have a large pvp population as finding out if there are ppl in the queue is more of an issue.

fwiw, you can always search the instances for the various pvp maps. I've only done it for arenas (e.g., "corellia square" or just "square"). if there are ppl in it, then there is an active match.

I'd rather devs focus on a number of other issues regarding pvp atm, but gl on this.

This is what I was talking about. Literally a pvp lobby with a list of lobbies going?

On 9/1/2023 at 7:54 AM, Crystal_Mind said:

The PvP queue works the same way as any other queue in this game. You hit the queue button and wait for a pop. During prime time on your server, this may take anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes at level 80.

or an hour, or never depending on the server and time.

12 hours ago, krackcommando said:

what has changed? I remember 5.x being the first reflect.

Merc dps was always decent but it was a glass Canon before 5.0. When they all of a sudden had the best dcds in the game plus crazy damage the meta changed and ppl were class stacking merc like crazy. So my point is that there's always been the OP class and fotm that stack and make the game seem unplayable at times. Nothing has changed as far as that's concerned, and imo 5.0 and 7.0 seem very similar. However as was mentioned in another reply to me the fact that the community has thinned out has compounded other issues... the pvp community is in a sad state currently. Gameplay wise I see very little differences tho.

Edited by Samcuu

32 minutes ago, Samcuu said:

Merc dps was always decent but it was a glass Canon before 5.0. When they all of a sudden had the best dcds in the game plus crazy damage the meta changed and ppl were class stacking merc like crazy. So my point is that there's always been the OP class and fotm that stack and make the game seem unplayable at times. Nothing has changed as far as that's concerned, and imo 5.0 and 7.0 seem very similar. However as was mentioned in another reply to me the fact that the community has thinned out has compounded other issues... the pvp community is in a sad state currently. Gameplay wise I see very little differences tho.

ah. thought you said net had changed. i know 5.x was when they got reflect and were op (hit hard too).

1 hour ago, krackcommando said:

ah. thought you said net had changed. i know 5.x was when they got reflect and were op (hit hard too).

Yeah sorry I'm not being clear. I was responding to the statement that "7.0 pvp is the worst its been no matter what style you play" by pointing out that OP classes especially when they stack, no matter what version of the game you play in, makes the pvp miserable at times. So my argument would be in 5.0 when merc was beyond broken could be compared to many matches you would experience right now. In 6.0 you could say that skank jugg/Guardian with greet teeth and force bound with a merc heals and a couple lightning sorcs could be the most annoying thing you've ever seen in the game. So there's always a meta there to be abused by those willing to do so. Difference being now instead of facing 4 doods who want to exploit what's broken in game now u can face 8 of them 😂😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

or an hour, or never depending on the server and time.

I did specify primetime, and I can only speak from my own experience. I've never had to wait more than 20 minutes for a pop on SF (or SS on the rare occasions I'm over there) at peak hours. I suppose maybe if you're playing on Leviathan or something you might not get a pop. /shrug

Edited by Crystal_Mind

43 minutes ago, Samcuu said:

Yeah sorry I'm not being clear. I was responding to the statement that "7.0 pvp is the worst its been no matter what style you play" by pointing out that OP classes especially when they stack, no matter what version of the game you play in, makes the pvp miserable at times. So my argument would be in 5.0 when merc was beyond broken could be compared to many matches you would experience right now. In 6.0 you could say that skank jugg/Guardian with greet teeth and force bound with a merc heals and a couple lightning sorcs could be the most annoying thing you've ever seen in the game. So there's always a meta there to be abused by those willing to do so. Difference being now instead of facing 4 doods who want to exploit what's broken in game now u can face 8 of them 😂😂

Good points all around. A limit to specs would be ideal but impossible to sync with their current system & it work out well.

The problem with PVP queue times is the change to having PVP seasons, at least on Star Forge. 

Before this was implemented, there was a steady queue time for regs at any reasonable time of day or night. 

Now, even at hours on Star Forge where matches were almost an insta-pop, there's a wait - and it's during a season 3. I find GSF pops faster than ground PVP sometimes, which is... not good. 

I'm not sure what BS plans to do, but it certainly seems like fewer and fewer people are queuing for PVP since PVP seasons were introduced. 

Perhaps better rewards, including subscriber-only ones, in the seasonal track might help somewhat. I can't be the only one who's seen the Season 3 PVP armor set and wondered how it relates to Star Wars?

Also, 8-person premade groups need to go - 4 should be the max. 

Edited by arunav
  • Like 1