SWTOR to begin moving servers to the cloud beginning August 15th!

JackieKo

We are targeting August 15th to migrate the Leviathan server over to the cloud. 

That's a catastrophically bad choice.

The Leviathan is the French server, and August 15th is a nation-wide public holiday in France, and you are proposing to take the server down from 2pm to 8pm on that day.

What in the world made y'all think that was a good idea?

• Like 5

there is one thing i like to know and maybe jackie can answer it or somebody else can do it.

if the servers are moving to the cloud do's that also mean that the networking conection between the cloud server and the player can be inproof?

2 hours ago, meddani said:

good luck with that, they said there's no cross server queues...and this was in 2014 lol

Yeah they said it was a large undertaking for the physical servers at the time in 2014 when there were a lot more of them and healthy population. A lot has changed since then don't u think? At this point it's common sense to make it happen, it's still probably not going to but its probably easier now that the servers are aws based. Do you think it would be easier to accomplish than say change the game to 64 bit? 

Great choice team, on a holiday in France. Should probably push further updates on Christmas and New Years while you're at it. One step forward, three steps back. Did anyone really think this wasn't how it was going to go... lol

Different name, same results. 

10 hours ago, Samcuu said:

but its probably easier now that the servers are aws based

The change hasn't happened yet.

And whether it's easier depends very strongly on exactly why they didn't do it before, and (probably) almost not at all on the distinction between physical servers and AWS instances.  It is, after all, not harder to make physical servers talk to each other than it is to do the same for virtualised servers.

4 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

And whether it's easier depends very strongly on exactly why they didn't do it before, and (probably) almost not at all on the distinction between physical servers and AWS instances.  It is, after all, not harder to make physical servers talk to each other than it is to do the same for virtualised servers.

As long as at the end of the day it all works well for players in France, Germany, Australia and other countries that play SWTOR as well as it does for those of us here in the US.  I KNOW ... I KNOW ...  that's probably a bit of a stretch ... but simply my thoughts on the matter at hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OlBuzzard said:

As long as at the end of the day it all works well for players in France, Germany, Australia and other countries that play SWTOR as well as it does for those of us here in the US.  I KNOW ... I KNOW ...  that's probably a bit of a stretch ... but simply my thoughts on the matter at hand.

Sure, but I still want to tell them to see Figure One(1) about the choice of the date for taking down The Leviathan for six hours:

On 8/12/2023 at 12:32 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

The Leviathan is the French server, and August 15th is a nation-wide public holiday in France, and you are proposing to take the server down from 2pm to 8pm on that day.

(1) Figure One is clearly visible in this page: See Figure 1 (dourish.com)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

I won't profess to know the ins and outs of the way the servers work. I'm talking more from a necessity standpoint. If they are willing to move to cloud based servers, and change the game to a 64 bit client, both of those things take time and money...resources that wouldn't be spent on things that aren't necessary for the longevity of the game. Then for me it makes sense to reason with the population like it is, cross server would alleviate a lot of issues in the queue finder ect without having to merge servers, which would cause its own set of problems. Drastically different set of circumstances from when they said they didn't want to go through the process 10 years ago. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 5:32 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

GOOD GRIEF !!!

🤦‍♂️

Yeah ...  I cleaned that up a LOT!

Could someone on the team please look into this and actually help?  Surely a small delay wouldn't hurt THAT much!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Samcuu said:

I won't profess to know the ins and outs of the way the servers work. I'm talking more from a necessity standpoint. If they are willing to move to cloud based servers, and change the game to a 64 bit client, both of those things take time and money...resources that wouldn't be spent on things that aren't necessary for the longevity of the game. Then for me it makes sense to reason with the population like it is, cross server would alleviate a lot of issues in the queue finder ect without having to merge servers, which would cause its own set of problems. Drastically different set of circumstances from when they said they didn't want to go through the process 10 years ago. 

OK, from a "what should we work on" policy point of view, it probably *is* easier to make the time and what-not to work on cross-server, but once begun, the work itself is probably neither easier nor harder on AWS than on physical servers.

• Like 1

Let me explain something to both of you (if I may).

I have no regrets for the post I made.  I stand by my words.  The ONLY regret that I have is the lack of authority to pick up my cell and send a text message to the right person insisting that the knucklehead who set that date (without checking more closely) change it ASAP!

If that works for ya ... fine!

If not ... so be it!

I may not be worth that much ... but I don't apologize for standing up for what I believe in!

On 8/11/2023 at 12:16 PM, JackieKo said:

Hello everyone! 

Mark your calendars! We are beginning the process to migrate the live servers over to the cloud beginning next week. More info here!

Nice! That's great news! Opens up a lot of options for the future.

Very glad to hear it.

On 8/11/2023 at 2:27 PM, vancaos said:

I am hoping for the return of a more west coast friendly cloud server out of this heres hoping for one of the servers moved to the cloud in the us they will use central or west coast based aws cloud server and stop screwing over west coast players. Or that by moving to the cloud on east coast the route my isp takes to get there hopefully changes so i get better service(this being much more unlikely cause east coast but one can hope) If not ill probably end up quitting cause the constant random disconnects simply because of the servers location is really irritating.

If it makes you feel any better, I am an East Coast player that plays on Star Forge, and I get disconnects too.

On 8/11/2023 at 4:52 PM, Toraak said:

I don't. Cross server queu's just mean far more toxic players. 

Yeah, but at least it would shut up those people constantly calling for server mergers.

On 8/11/2023 at 6:32 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

They probably had no idea about that. It's news to me as well. I had no idea that August 15th was a national holiday in France.

But, I hope they change the date, it would be nice for people to be able to enjoy the holiday and use the time they have to play the game if they want.

19 minutes ago, IanGiese said:

I don't care if it's off topic. Where I'm supposed to bring this complaint has been wholly ignored for years now.

Fix the holsters.

Ummm....umm.......I'd think suggestion box would be the obvious answer to that question. Which I see you already did.

If they're ignoring it, putting it in a place that is totally inappropriate for it won't likely change anything.

You might also consider including what about holsters they should fix.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

@WayOfTheWarriorx The reason I don't want cross server is because I saw how it has affected WoW community before and after Cross Server was implemented.

Before Cross Server if you acted out in a dungeon or raid people took note of it on your server and there was a chance you would start getting a bad reputation for such behavior. Keep acting like this and eventually people would blacklist you for PvE content.

After Cross server was implemented nobody cared any longer how poorly they behaved and started treating everyone like garbage. Why not it's cross server and you'll never see them again after all. 

I know this wouldn't affect PvP or GSF much, because those 2 game modes do have some toxicity in them naturally (thankfully not as much in GSF), however it would start to creep into Flashpoints and raids through group finder if cross server is implemented.

Edited by Toraak

2 minutes ago, Toraak said:

@WayOfTheWarriorx The reason I don't want cross server is because I saw how it has affected WoW community before and after Cross Server was implemented.

Before Cross Server if you acted out in a dungeon or raid people took note of it on your server and there was a chance you would start getting a bad reputation for such behavior. Keep acting like this and eventually people would blacklist you.

After Cross server was implemented nobody cared any longer how poorly they behaved and started treating everyone like garbage. Why not it's cross server and you'll never see them again after all. 

I know this wouldn't affect PvP or GSF much, because those 2 game modes do have some toxicity in them naturally (thankfully not as much in GSF), however it would start to creep into Flashpoints and raids through group finder if cross server is implemented.

Well, those are all fair points.

I never played WOW so I don't have any first hand experience on these effects that cross server had there, but, what you describe certainly isn't something I'd like to see happen. But than again, I also wouldn't like to see a server merge happen. I think that having only one server for the entire NA would sign the death warrant of the game so based on that I guess I'm more disposed to cross server queces than I am to server mergers.

From what you describe, it sounds like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

4 hours ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

They probably had no idea about that. It's news to me as well. I had no idea that August 15th was a national holiday in France.

I don't buy that *at*all*.  After all, it's a public holiday, not a state secret, and information about it is trivially available on the Internet.  What it tells me is that they didn't even *bother* checking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveTheCynic said:

I don't buy that *at*all*.  After all, it's a public holiday, not a state secret, and information about it is trivially available on the Internet.  What it tells me is that they didn't even *bother* checking.

They could have checked but on the plus side once it's finished all of us will have less downtimes going forward.

It's the whole point of going to the cloud. (I can imagine something like update 8.0 downtime in minutes instead of hours maybe not that fast but better than what we have now).

4 hours ago, Toraak said:

Before Cross Server if you acted out in a dungeon or raid people took note of it on your server and there was a chance you would start getting a bad reputation for such behavior. Keep acting like this and eventually people would blacklist you for PvE content.

The overall game population is so dead that they could implement cross-server and the entire PvE and PvP endgame community wouldn't be more than 20 people. The social blacklist you describe would still be entirely possible in cross-server. That's how dead endgame content is at this point. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, septru said:

The overall game population is so dead that they could implement cross-server and the entire PvE and PvP endgame community wouldn't be more than 20 people. The social blacklist you describe would still be entirely possible in cross-server. That's how dead endgame content is at this point. 

I don't agree with this honestly. People do plenty of PvE end game content on SF, Far more then 20 people. Remember Cross server would most likely only affect Group Finder activities, and there are a ton of people that do FP's and Ops. It's not just 20 people.

Vet Mode Ops, and MM Ops wouldn't be affected by cross server unless they make new categories for those inside of GF as options. They would still be based on your specific server unless these categories were added.