The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Game Plus

Can you cite even *one* other MMORPG that has anything remotely like New Game Plus?  (Not saying that's a reason to not do it, but NGP doesn't seem like a very MMORPG thing to do.)

And how would class-companions work for a character that goes down the NGP route?  Would you be able to, say, have M1-4X with you as Garza briefs you about the battle droid on Nar Shadda, the one that is, indeed, M1-4X?

And if it's *just* to replay over-levelled, well, that's what the Master's Datacron is for.

8 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Can you cite even *one* other MMORPG that has anything remotely like New Game Plus?  (Not saying that's a reason to not do it, but NGP doesn't seem like a very MMORPG thing to do.)

And how would class-companions work for a character that goes down the NGP route?  Would you be able to, say, have M1-4X with you as Garza briefs you about the battle droid on Nar Shadda, the one that is, indeed, M1-4X?

And if it's *just* to replay over-levelled, well, that's what the Master's Datacron is for.

To be fair, the class stories are a single player game within an MMO. Even the heroics and Storymode flashpoints can be done solo. Group content seems to be in the minority. An ever-growing trend in so-called "MMO's".

One would assume you would require the companions during the story; however, when you get them they would retain their influence level. The OP also wants to keep all his gear/items. A simple level increase on a brand new character would not achieve this.

3 hours ago, Dayshadow said:

The OP also wants to keep all his gear/items. A simple level increase on a brand new character would not achieve this.

Agreed, which is why I emphasised "just" in this:

12 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 9:12 PM, HisShadowX said:

Allow people to purchase a New Game Plus so they can restart all the content well keeping their armor, companions and level so that way they can replay the game over leveled. 

Or just make a new alt with the same appearance and put on xp boosts / victorious pioneer armor. Or Steve's suggestion of the master's datacron. 

The point of NGP in other games generally isn't to completely faceroll content, which is what you would get with this setup. 

New game plus makes sense for single player games, but a simple fix for this request is to make the main story class re-playable, kind of how Knights of the Fallen Empire is (I have been saying they should do this for years). This allows you enjoy the story all over again, with out having to make an alt, and still hold on to your existing gear/companions. The only thing missing is the "label" of NG+, which is sort of pointless anyways in an mmo since your story is never ending and the game keeps updating with new story. That being said, the only thing for the devs to decide would be if there should be any rewards. Maybe they have options to do it with increased difficulty for better rewards. Personally I'd be completely ok if they didn't reward you for anything, I'd get enough joy for just playing the story again. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 4:14 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

Yes, Final Fantasy XIV didn't have to resort to a free-to-play model. When the developers faltered at launch, the company opted to give people what they wanted.

Now, from your post, it seems that you're a member of the hardcore minority. You're likely puzzled as to why games like City of Heroes and Matrix Online were shut down. There are people like you who are a minority who play Final Fantasy XIV and often wonder why anyone would engage in New Game Plus, where there are no tangible rewards. You might even have a tendency towards masochism, preferring challenging, difficult games that offer a sense of "accomplishment," a unique form of pleasure for you. For instance, games like Everquest and launch SWTOR are considered easy in your eyes. And, you're baffled as to why 2 million people left SWTOR because it was too hard at launch as you saw launch as easy mode.

Now, I don't mean to insult your impassioned post. I understand that your question may be rhetorical, but on the off chance that it isn't, I must say that it's unlikely you would comprehend what average gamers gain from New Game Plus. This disconnect might be why many of the games you enjoy either go free-to-play or shut down.

When SWTOR launched, we saw an influx of SWG players who were surprised when users demanded that DKP Guilds publicly declare and carry their affiliation like a badge of dishonor. These SWG players, being a minority and mostly reclusive, found themselves in a game that was not widely played. They became so insulated that when they eventually emerged into a changed gaming landscape, they were shocked to discover that society viewed DKP Guilds as dubious or fraudulent.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 2:48 AM, HisShadowX said:

Yes, Final Fantasy XIV didn't have to resort to a free-to-play model. When the developers faltered at launch, the company opted to give people what they wanted.

So where in FF14 do I find the New Game Plus option?  I ask this because the rest of what you say about it has exactly no relation to what I asked.

Now, from your post, it seems that you're a member of the hardcore minority.

I'm going to go out now and laugh myself silly about this.

OK, I'm back.  I feel weak.  No, I am in exactly no way any part of any so-called "hardcore minority".

You're likely puzzled as to why games like City of Heroes and Matrix Online were shut down.

Well, I don't know why they were shut down because I never played either of them.

There are people like you who are a minority who play Final Fantasy XIV and often wonder why anyone would engage in New Game Plus, where there are no tangible rewards.

No.  There are not people like me that do that, because I don't do that.  Stop making stuff up about me.

Now, I don't mean to insult your impassioned post.

You're doing pretty well at insulting it, and also at insulting me.

I understand that your question may be rhetorical, but on the off chance that it isn't,

It isn't.

I must say that it's unlikely you would comprehend what average gamers gain from New Game Plus.

I'm well aware of what NGP *is*, and why people like it, but I still don't see how it applies to any sort of MMORPG.

This disconnect might be why many of the games you enjoy either go free-to-play or shut down.

Maybe you should ask me which games I enjoy instead of inventing stuff about me.  (For reference, when Allods Online cranked up its hardcorishness, I quit.)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the whole point of the entire "Legacy" system was the closest realistic avenue to "New Game Plus", especially in the context of 1) other story stuff where events overlap between all 8 types, and 2) Heroic Moment gets more cool after each one completed, capping at all 8 and "Legendary Player" status (which seems to be the overwhelming majority of players I encounter out in the wild these days - and this isn't just an SWTOR thing, this is for MMOs more in general).

In other words...maybe we can see some more usefulness out of Legacy besides convenience and some Presence buffs that only help companions to some small degree. Not a lot of games in general utilize such a feature, especially in MMOs. So it helps SWTOR stand out from the competition, especially when put to one of my favorite questions: "What makes your game different from the competition?"

Playing overleveled would be fun, except areas forcefully shunt your power level down to a semi-hard cap, so the Master's Datacron isn't as beneficial as it might seem on the surface. It sure would make going through the motions arguably less tedious, but you're not normally one-shotting Battle Droids like Obi-Wan was during Star Wars Episode 1.

Personally, I was THERE for SWTOR launch. It wasn't hard, just tedious. So I can see why people just didn't have the patience for it. Even NOW, at this writing, going through the Original Chapters (1 and 2 especially) feels like a SLOG! Don't really know how to explain it, just that Knights of the Fallen Empire feels A LOT better! Not just stakes, but pacing...can't yet put my finger on it, just that my review of SWTOR on the whole would be like, "It could easily be repackaged as KotOR 3 if Bioware and EA just gutted all the MMO elements." And Fallen Empire seems like their first strides towards taking that advice to heart. The second stride would be the ignoring of the patent on wheel dialogue (yes, there was an actual patent on it; look it up - except upon looking it up, the patent may actually still be active, until 2029...source - https://patents.google.com/patent/US20070226648A1/en ), and thus went back to, how we say, "classic" conversation mechanisms.

Edited by JayForerunner
Extra details, correction of personal errors, and grammar double-checks

FFXIV has something like that.  It is unlocked after you finished a certain part of the Main Story Line (not your class quest) and you can run it but:

(1) You do not get xp, rewards or credits when you do it.

(2) You are basically locked out of the quests you have until you either finish that chapter or suspend it.

This is exactly what I've been hoping for! Class Story Plus or something like it. We don't want to create new characters just to re-experience the amazing stories we've all come to love, but we want to keep our level, our companions, and our gear. Just scale the level for the class story bosses to level 75 or 80 so that we can experience the story boss fights as they were intended to be -- a challenge. I'm aware that this would be a sizeable project to take on for it to work correctly, but it would bring a lot of people in, maybe even tie some achievements into it if we make choices that are different from our original choices. Maybe completionist type of achievements that could give us a title for making every possible choice with outcomes, without affecting our original choices of course.

11 hours ago, InnateNobility said:

We don't want to create new characters just to re-experience the amazing stories we've all come to love, but we want to keep our level, our companions, and our gear.

Who is this "we" that does or does not want all that?  I can say for sure that I'm not part of it.

In general, it's best to speak for yourself, and not assume that everyone else agrees with your point of view.

3 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Who is this "we" that does or does not want all that?  I can say for sure that I'm not part of it.

In general, it's best to speak for yourself, and not assume that everyone else agrees with your point of view.

You're a notoriously argumentative person. I will not engage with you further. Feel free to carry on, but you won't get any more responses. 👋