What are your Thoughts on Combat Styles one year later?

SentinalMasterWW

It's been about a year since the launch of 7.0, and I'm curious what people think of the current Combat Styles system.

For me it definatly can be improved to be better, I made a post here on the Forum Critiquing stating that it feels very dumbed down and that it locks players into basically do you want mobility or do you want a key defensive to not die.

It seems like Bioware is trying to at least improve on the ability pruning, they are making for instance Reestablish range a passive that all snipers get, so now you don't have to spec into it to get mobility cleanse on Countermeasures, and replacing that mod with vital regulators so now snipers/slingers can actually get heal in cover back.

Alongside this they are changing Mercs/Commandos so they get some of their abilities earlier.

It seems like at least for right now the Dev's are at least trying to straighten up the system since 7.0 shuffled so much of how classes play in the game.

Overall I prefer 7.x because I was starting to feel talent-bloat with 6.x. I mostly stepped away from the game when 3.x hit, playing less and less with each xpac. At the time, I could read skill trees for classes I had never/barely played and basically fully understand them. 

By 6.0, it got to the point where I barely knew what other classes talents were, unless I played the class deeply. Small utilities like the operative getting 6% DR on kolto probe were things I welcomed at the time as they would improve my gameplay but i think the game is better off with a smaller number of more impactful choices.

I like that some silly talents like the flashbang flash powder, or the holo-traverse TA-generation were merged into their base abilities. These talents are too insignificant to be a meaningful choice in the current Ability Tree system.

Legendaries are better than Set Bonuses for what BW wants. They introduced 6 piece sets because they wanted matching different sets for 4pc and 2pc bonuses to be viable. The problem was that 6pc bonuses were always way better than 4 piece bonuses, so everyone was just running the full set all the time. Legendaries let us mix and match 2 separate impactful choices (of course, for some classes there is basically no choice...it's not perfect)