Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Arguments against credit sinks are short sighted.

Diamaht

1 hour ago, ivanhedgehog said:

were you selling things you found on korriban or Tython? didnt think so. New players dont get tech frags until they do end game activities. It costs more to QT on coruscant than it does on Ossus.

Brand new players who have no money aren't using quick travel more than once every 6 minutes. New players aren't speed running every world like veteran players who have done all the class stories and missions countless times.

I'm still considered a new player with about a month of SWTOR and have just exceeded 5 billion credits. A good portion of that was from materials, rank 1-9 that I sold on the GTN. Some prototype and artifact rank 1-9 materials on Star Forge sell for 200k-350k each.

Quick travel prices on the starter and capital worlds could use a bit of rework, but the most expensive quick travel I found on any of the starter worlds was less than 800 credits.

Edited by remylion

1 hour ago, remylion said:

Quick travel prices on the starter and capital worlds could use a bit of rework, but the most expensive quick travel I found on any of the starter worlds was less than 800 credits.

On Tython, the jump back from the Forge to the Jedi Temple (where you "turn in" that mission is at least 1000 credits.

2 minutes ago, DWho said:

On Tython, the jump back from the Forge to the Jedi Temple (where you "turn in" that mission is at least 1000 credits.

yeah that is way too much. Prices on the starter worlds should be capped at 100 credits or scale with your legacy.

It costs more to QT on coruscant than it does on Ossus.

Ossus costs 5,000 credits to QT from starting point to any of the travel points. At least on Imperial side.

But there are better credit sinks than taxing newbies which is the worst possible introduction to the game.

They missed the boat on the seasons.

You advance your reputation, and all you get is an achievement. You can't BUY anything with credits for advancement in reputation. I.e. There are NO REPUTATION VENDORS for galactic seasons. (only for tokens, and those aren't for the reputation points). Implement these. Stronghold decorations, dyes, armor for the "space-barbie" folks.  This would take money out of the economy, and you'd have to earn your way there with the seasons. Win-Win.

Another idea on a credit sink.

For people who want to buy stuff from the cartel market : Specific items, without the "random" factor. I.E. Decorations. You buy them with a mix of RL $ and in-game $. Not either/or - a combination of both. So you're paying for the item NOT to be random. "What you see is what you get". This would be very popular.

so started a new char this weekend. was roughly lvl 5-6 wanted to QT to kalikori village well it costed about 600 credits while my character was earning 8-11 credits from mobs and maybe 50 from mission rewards while the taxi is either 0 or 10 credits, sure i could have gone to my stronghold take out 5 mil credits out of legacy and not worry about it but for a QOL feature that has been free of charge for 11 years untill this patch. then when i get to coruscant and go questing in migrant merchant area and wanted to QT back to senate plaza it cost 5K to do that while a taxi is just 25 credits

whoever keeps defending this you are ignorant and bioware needs to remove this QT fee nonsense

there ARE other things they can do to combat inflation QT fees AINT one of them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elimatorxv said:

so started a new char this weekend. was roughly lvl 5-6 wanted to QT to kalikori village well it costed about 600 credits while my character was earning 8-11 credits from mobs and maybe 50 from mission rewards while the taxi is either 0 or 10 credits, sure i could have gone to my stronghold take out 5 mil credits out of legacy and not worry about it but for a QOL feature that has been free of charge for 11 years untill this patch. then when i get to coruscant and go questing in migrant merchant area and wanted to QT back to senate plaza it cost 5K to do that while a taxi is just 25 credits

whoever keeps defending this you are ignorant and bioware needs to remove this QT fee nonsense

there ARE other things they can do to combat inflation QT fees AINT one of them.

quick travel fees are fine, new characters with brand new legacies should not be charged more than 100 credits on the starter worlds, maybe even the capitol worlds.

Edited by remylion

3 hours ago, DWho said:

It's actually closer to 1500 credits, checked it yesterday. Speeder costs on Tython cap out at 20 credits, for the record.

Another good example, the speeder from the Gnarls to the Elarian Trail on Tython is 20 credits. QT is 954 credits for the same distance. Obviously a QT would cost more since it's more convenient, but that's a 4670% increase over the speeder cost.

That honestly kinda highlights where I'm at with all of this. I wouldn't have really had an issue with QT fees if they'd been implemented in a thoughtful way, but it's incredibly obvious they weren't. As it stands, lower level planets end up with huge disparities between QT and speeder costs because speeders take the planet level into account while QT doesn't. That's BW completely ignoring an aspect of balancing these fees because they're only thinking about lowering credits in the game and not thinking about the player experience with these fees in place.

Yes, we need ongoing credit sinks, but that doesn't mean any credit sink is automatically good and immune to criticism. QT fees were implemented poorly and without nearly enough thought towards balance. Will they reduce credits? Yes, I'm sure they will, but if that comes at the cost of damaging player experience on low level planets, that's not an equal trade. The last thing this game needs to be doing is putting off newer players.

Ideally the QT fees should be calculated using the distance and the player's level, since loot and mission rewards are also scaled by level. That would make far more sense in achieving the stated goals and reduce the impact of these fees on newer players. They can make that change now, and I hope they do, but it never should have launched in this state. We shouldn't have to be doing this testing and brainstorming for them.

• Like 1

My main problem with the instant travel fees, if they MUST be a thing now, is that they do not scale correctly.

On (republic) Taris I was playing a character that is level 27 (mainly because he did planet story besides character story missions). I was getting around 950- 1950 credits per mission. It wanted 858 credits to take me from the bonus point for the rakghoul claw bonus mission point back to the cantina - it would have been over 1000 credits to get to the spaceport nearby which is where you turn in the mission item.  So this is way out of whack for a relatively beginner planet. I can't even imagine how much this would be for a preferred or free-to-play character that doesn't advance as fast so they earn less per mission.

Remember, before people subscribe, they have to think the game is worth it.  You get more flies with honey than vinegar, so applying fees every time you turn around will drive people away.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shayddow said:

My main problem with the instant travel fees, if they MUST be a thing now, is that they do not scale correctly.

On (republic) Taris I was playing a character that is level 27 (mainly because he did planet story besides character story missions). I was getting around 950- 1950 credits per mission. It wanted 858 credits to take me from the bonus point for the rakghoul claw bonus mission point back to the cantina - it would have been over 1000 credits to get to the spaceport nearby which is where you turn in the mission item.  So this is way out of whack for a relatively beginner planet. I can't even imagine how much this would be for a preferred or free-to-play character that doesn't advance as fast so they earn less per mission.

Remember, before people subscribe, they have to think the game is worth it.  You get more flies with honey than vinegar, so applying fees every time you turn around will drive people away.

That's a fair point, they could use better scaling.

It's annoying it exists now because it used to be free, but in my perspective as a Story only player it wasn't as if I was spending the credits on anything anyway. Taxis and repair. That's it. I don't do group flashpoints, raids, or other non-Story stuff, so I do not have billions of credits. In Class story I can get hundreds of thousands. I don't reach a million until Revan or something. I don't use the GTN. Credits are meaningless. What else am I to spend them on? They're just there as flavor text wealth that doesn't mean anything. Paying for Quick Travel is just something to spend them on, but it has the feels bad because it used to be free.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.