Launcher will not start game after update 7.2.1

TrippleOGJedi

So i just started playing the game a couple months ago and it was working fine, then came 7.2.1 and i cant get the game to open, the launcher opens i can log in but when i click on "play" nothing happens ...  can anyone help me? please and thank you

Edited by TrippleOGJedi

1 minute ago, TrippleOGJedi said:

@OwenBrooks it says "DirectX setup had determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already.  No installation is necessary" 

Then Directx is not the issue 

Some historically have needed to update .net and c++ optional windows updates 

worst case try installing via steam , historically the steam install will install any missing packages to enable a non steam install to work

I am having the same issue. I had added the exe to Allowlist (Firewall) for both public and private. I was surprised the 64 bit client installed into Program Files (x86) instead of Program Files. I assume that the way forward is run as a 64 bit application..... sigh..... cant you change it to run in 32 bit or 64 bit, as it downloaded another 35GB of files into the same folder.

When I run the app it just sits there doing nothing.

1 minute ago, MajorCorwin said:

I am having the same issue. I had added the exe to Allowlist (Firewall) for both public and private. I was surprised the 64 bit client installed into Program Files (x86) instead of Program Files. I assume that the way forward is run as a 64 bit application..... sigh..... cant you change it to run in 32 bit or 64 bit, as it downloaded another 35GB of files into the same folder.

Thanks, the 35G DL is not an issue for me, or most of my family. Knowing to Force install in /Program Files makes total sense. Win 11 is 64 bit native. I'll give it a try to see if a redirect will work as a way around Steam.

What build number was the 64 bit client compiled under? I believe this information can be found by typing VER at a command prompt. If the Build Number is higher than what I have installed thats the answer. As a rule I dont install updates.... to be honest I will go the Steam road if it works. It makes me wonder if the installation and playing of the game was tested under Windows 10 and 11.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MajorCorwin said:

Thanks so Much for this quick and simple fix. I was too lazy to copy the Directory structure, so I just dragged and dropped the EA folder from (x86) into /program files. Defying all Logic, there was No Download and the game Works!! Cant give enough THANKS !!!! 

I just tried that fix, it sadly did not work. On reflection it would have been simpler to ask the player to uninstall the old 32 bit version of the game, reinstall using the 64 bit version (download the launcher.exe from the web site). It could then be installed in C:/Program Files. I am hoping that they can patch the launcher process as whilst my client is installed, when I hit play nothing happens.

I even tried run program in compatibility mode for Windows 8

• Like 1

I have tried going through steam, downloaded directx, checked the firewall to allow the game, checked the compatibility and nothing seems to work. I log in and hit the play button and it goes to a black loading screen then kicks back to my home screen and the game closes.

4 minutes ago, PeaceMakerLuke said:

I have tried going through steam, downloaded directx, checked the firewall to allow the game, checked the compatibility and nothing seems to work. I log in and hit the play button and it goes to a black loading screen then kicks back to my home screen and the game closes.

Have you tried moving the Electronic Arts / SWTOR folder to C:/Progam Files? Installing Direct X solved the issue for me I am lucky to say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, PeaceMakerLuke said:

the swtor technical issues forum has a guide for black screen and closes , see https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/Guide-Game-failing-to-launch-on-Clicking-Play/m-p/4809830/highlight/true#M70795

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/INFO-Known-Information-and-Current-Alerts-29th-March-2023/m-p/4886775#M40174

known workaround: 
Some have found they have needed to install directx 9 legacy files https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35
otherwise try installing C++ via https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe , all else fails install the game via steam

Edited by OwenBrooks
  • Thanks 1