The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Lag in Warzones

Lord_Ranon

Most of the lag is due to animations and buff/debuffs. This is why larger raids lag so badly. PvP is basically the same thing. It's far too much for the game to handle right now. 64-bit is likely to help a lot here but doesn't change the fact those things specifically need optimized. 

On 2/27/2023 at 2:49 AM, Beyrahl said:

Most of the lag is due to animations and buff/debuffs. This is why larger raids lag so badly. PvP is basically the same thing. It's far too much for the game to handle right now. 64-bit is likely to help a lot here but doesn't change the fact those things specifically need optimized. 

What gaming system you're using?? i.e Type of graphic card, cpu processor, motherboard, rams etc...

And monitor.. 2k - 4k resolution?? 

Internet: Wireless or cable.. 

And can you tell if other playes in your group have Overclock their gaming system.. Compare their speed to yours.. If they're traveling at light speed Then Yes they have overclock

I build gaming Pcs, easy for ppl like me to tell. 

You can see the rendering latency spike into the hundreds when the game has to load a new player into an instance in PvP, you see it before the match even starts. 
I have a 5600x undervolted at 4.6ghz with a 3070. I could go into further detail but it's not quite going to help because the situation isn't that reliant on hardware. I have played both PTS, and non PTS the rendering latency is a problem on both, however, much better on PTS. 

Edited by Beyrahl

1 hour ago, Beyrahl said:

You can see the rendering latency spike into the hundreds when the game has to load a new player into an instance in PvP, you see it before the match even starts. 
I have a 5600x undervolted at 4.6ghz with a 3070. I could go into further detail but it's not quite going to help because the situation isn't that reliant on hardware. I have played both PTS, and non PTS the rendering latency is a problem on both, however, much better on PTS. 

Just trying to help you.. I been playing for a yr.. no lag, but I play directly connected not wireless.. anyways go luck

3 hours ago, Monhnich said:

Just trying to help you.. I been playing for a yr.. no lag, but I play directly connected not wireless.. anyways go luck

The question is location more than hardware. Where are you located & what server do you play on & what ping do you have. Also what type of connection do you have to the internet, fibre, cable, DSL?

38 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

The question is location more than hardware. Where are you located & what server do you play on & what ping do you have. Also what type of connection do you have to the internet, fibre, cable, DSL?

The hardware can have an effect, though it is usually less than the distance and quality of the internet between you and the server. Laptops tend to run hot (both the CPU and graphics card) which slows them down and a lot of people use laptops wirelessly, which is an inherently slower connection speed than a wired connection. The slowest leg in the pathway determines your lag. If you are doing "twitch gaming", a wired connection to a desktop is best (that's about all you can control, everything else is your internet provider).

4 hours ago, DWho said:

The hardware can have an effect, though it is usually less than the distance and quality of the internet between you and the server. Laptops tend to run hot (both the CPU and graphics card) which slows them down and a lot of people use laptops wirelessly, which is an inherently slower connection speed than a wired connection. The slowest leg in the pathway determines your lag. If you are doing "twitch gaming", a wired connection to a desktop is best (that's about all you can control, everything else is your internet provider).

A mid range desktop connected with a network cable shouldn’t have hardware induced lag unless they run the game at max settings on a high resolution monitor. 

Most lag for the majority of players will be network lag. Therefore distance to the servers plays a much bigger role than hardware. 

When diagnosing a players lag in swtor. It’s always best to first find out how far they are from the server. 

For instance, if they are in Australia like me, they will always have “x” amount of lag, regardless of how great their system is. 

But if they’re just up the road from the server & have excessive lag, then it’s most likely not the network. That’s when you can start looking at hardware & software on their systems. 

Of course there can be outliers to every situation. But I find it best to eliminate or identify the most likely & easiest reasons first because it can save time & money in the long run.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Sorry for the delay in replying - I actually thought there was going to be a heap of toxicity in replies, so haven't rushed back hehehe, and was pleasantly surprised by the normal responses. Regarding my PC:

Intel i9 12900, 64GB DDR4 RAM RGB,  NVIDIA RTX 4080 16GB Video Card, loaded on SSD's. monitor 1ms 240Hz

Game suggests I use Ultra graphics setting - I actually have to use very low

My Internet speed (I'm cable, not wifi) using Cat 8 Ethernet high end cables) is per below:

Internet speed test 015102050100+Testing upload…

105.4 Mbps download, 35.5 Mbps upload Latency: 8 ms Server: Sydney

Your Internet connection is very fast. Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos, video conferencing and gaming at the same time.

The MS from the SWTOR to me is circa 360-380ms (milliseconds) - and worse than any game I play - which is many. I use Exitlag, and re-route my traffic through San Jose and it reduces my ms to 220-240ms.

The game is literally unplayable for me. I listed in another thread previously all the "actual" in game issues I have, but the forum moderators pulled it down and gave me a warning (expecting the same here), despite not being toxic, being rude or throwing any abuse. I'm guessing they don't like real examples of under performance. I hope 64 bit improved things a bit. Some issues for example:

1. Despite animations going off, showing full cast, they don't work, and need to be re-cast

2. instant abilities don't often work (for example force bubble, stealth etc) - and need to be pressed 5-6 times

3. Movement is completely hampered (example) - rolling - I roll but don't actually move - I roll in place, walls etc don't work (people can shoot me through and around walls), bridges don't appear (voidstar), power pickups and health pickups, I can run over them 5-10 feet before an american player, yet they still get it , force leap needs 4-5 attempts if someone is moving - there's so many more, but you get the idea.

4. I literally can't move through populated parts of fleet. I cannot move in quesh huttball (so just go stealth, stand in a corner, and my team plays one down and lose generally). When I say cannot, I basically glitch through at say 15% of total speed.

I've tried to interact with the forum moderators, but they refuse to reply - all they do is delete, warn and ban. I've written to the CEO of EA, but he also ignores. I'm tempted to make public posts on linkedin. Anyways, I probably sound like a complete whinge (which is Un-Australian) - I used to have heaps of mates who play, but I can't convince them to return because of the lag (which kinda sucks).

Anyways, I've downloaded FF14, and am getting wait for this (6ms !!!) haha, game runs like a dream - ultra graphics, populated servers (much more populated than SWTOR), much, MUCH less toxic - if only they had the PVP Star Wars has - that's the ONLY reason I stay here. But I think my times up tbh.

Thanks everyone for not being nasty.

Edited by Lord_Ranon
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lord_Ranon said:

Sorry for the delay in replying - I actually thought there was going to be a heap of toxicity in replies, so haven't rushed back hehehe, and was pleasantly surprised by the normal responses. Regarding my PC:

Intel i9 12900, 64GB DDR4 RAM RGB,  NVIDIA RTX 4080 16GB Video Card, loaded on SSD's. monitor 1ms 240Hz

Game suggests I use Ultra graphics setting - I actually have to use very low

My Internet speed (I'm cable, not wifi) using Cat 8 Ethernet high end cables) is per below:

Internet speed test 015102050100+Testing upload…

105.4 Mbps download, 35.5 Mbps upload Latency: 8 ms Server: Sydney

Your Internet connection is very fast. Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos, video conferencing and gaming at the same time.

The MS from the SWTOR to me is circa 360-380ms (milliseconds) - and worse than any game I play - which is many. I use Exitlag, and re-route my traffic through San Jose and it reduces my ms to 220-240ms.

The game is literally unplayable for me. I listed in another thread previously all the "actual" in game issues I have, but the forum moderators pulled it down and gave me a warning (expecting the same here), despite not being toxic, being rude or throwing any abuse. I'm guessing they don't like real examples of under performance. I hope 64 bit improved things a bit. Some issues for example:

1. Despite animations going off, showing full cast, they don't work, and need to be re-cast

2. instant abilities don't often work (for example force bubble, stealth etc) - and need to be pressed 5-6 times

3. Movement is completely hampered (example) - rolling - I roll but don't actually move - I roll in place, walls etc don't work (people can shoot me through and around walls), bridges don't appear (voidstar), power pickups and health pickups, I can run over them 5-10 feet before an american player, yet they still get it , force leap needs 4-5 attempts if someone is moving - there's so many more, but you get the idea.

4. I literally can't move through populated parts of fleet. I cannot move in quesh huttball (so just go stealth, stand in a corner, and my team plays one down and lose generally). When I say cannot, I basically glitch through at say 15% of total speed.

I've tried to interact with the forum moderators, but they refuse to reply - all they do is delete, warn and ban. I've written to the CEO of EA, but he also ignores. I'm tempted to make public posts on linkedin. Anyways, I probably sound like a complete whinge (which is Un-Australian) - I used to have heaps of mates who play, but I can't convince them to return because of the lag (which kinda sucks).

Anyways, I've downloaded FF14, and am getting wait for this (6ms !!!) haha, game runs like a dream - ultra graphics, populated servers (much more populated than SWTOR), much, MUCH less toxic - if only they had the PVP Star Wars has - that's the ONLY reason I stay here. But I think my times up tbh.

Thanks everyone for not being nasty.

Ok, definitely not your Hardware & probably not entirely your internet connection. I can make an educated guess that it’s 99.99% your distance from the sever causing the majority of the lag. 

So, you’re probably wondering what your options are to reduce the lag? Sadly there aren’t many besides relocating where you live closer to the server. 

But there is one option that can use to reduce some lag & smooth out the ping spikes & make sure your connection to the server takes the best route. I can literally knock off 50-80ms from my connection from Australia to the server & it greatly reduced lag spikes. My usual Ping to Star Forge or Satele Shan servers is 220ms from NSW South Coast.

Look into a gaming VPN service called www.WTFast.com. 
You can do a free trial for 30 days that lets you use the full service. Then it’s $15 US a month or you get restricted to free version that is pretty useless because it limits your ability to minimise the lag.

If you want some help with this, let me know. But it would help to know what servers you play on & confirm where you’re generally located (I’m assuming Sydney). That way we can try & work out the best route to the servers from where you are. 

One last thing. If you’re on NBN cable (not Fibre) you might be limited by your own ISP’s routing to the US. I really hope your not with Telstra or Optus or an ISP’s that use their international connections & backbone infrastructure because they have the worst possibly routing for swtor & even sometime split the return packets to return via a different route. 

I have a Fibre connection myself. Since getting it a few years ago, I’ve been through 5 ISP’s to find one that gives the best gaming connections internationally. I’ve settle on Superloop as being the best as they have their own international sub cables to the US & don’t rely on Telstra. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Ok, definitely not your Hardware & probably not entirely your internet connection. I can make an educated guess that it’s 99.99% your distance from the sever causing the majority of the lag. 

So, you’re probably wondering what your options are to reduce the lag? Sadly there aren’t many besides relocating where you live closer to the server. 

But there is one option that can use to reduce some lag & smooth out the ping spikes & make sure your connection to the server takes the best route. I can literally knock off 50-80ms from my connection from Australia to the server & it greatly reduced lag spikes. My usual Ping to Star Forge or Satele Shan servers is 220ms from NSW South Coast.

Look into a gaming VPN service called www.WTFast.com. 
You can do a free trial for 30 days that lets you use the full service. Then it’s $15 US a month or you get restricted to free version that is pretty useless because it limits your ability to minimise the lag.

If you want some help with this, let me know. But it would help to know what servers you play on & confirm where you’re generally located (I’m assuming Sydney). That way we can try & work out the best route to the servers from where you are. 

One last thing. If you’re on NBN cable (not Fibre) you might be limited by your own ISP’s routing to the US. I really hope your not with Telstra or Optus or an ISP’s that use their international connections & backbone infrastructure because they have the worst possibly routing for swtor & even sometime split the return packets to return via a different route. 

I have a Fibre connection myself. Since getting it a few years ago, I’ve been through 5 ISP’s to find one that gives the best gaming connections internationally. I’ve settle on Superloop as being the best as they have their own international sub cables to the US & don’t rely on Telstra. 

Oh, it's 100% the server response time. The disappointing thing here, is I play on other games with servers in almost exactly the same regions as SWTOR, and the actual response time is so much quicker, gameplay smoother, more rich, higher quality etc. I'm glad they are moving to 64 bit after all this time, but unfortunately, it's too late, and the population is already in heavy decline. The fact is, the actual quality of the servers (despite being a cash cow) are abysmal - they are basically a version of a rusted out Volkswagon with 3 wheels sitting in someone's backyard desperate for someone to pay her some attention & repairs.

Here are some actual recent stats (scroll to 4 minutes, 40 seconds) - but summarized as SWTOR is declining, and likely dead soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzXb3vbQWqU&t=1781s

SWTOR - Populations (with terrible performance)

Steam Charts: 6,850 (Peak), 3800 (Average)

Twitch Views Average: 150

Reddit Members: 211k

Twitter Followers: 306k

Youtube Subs: 241k

Estimated Daily Avg. Concurrent 10-20k

Versus say:

Final Fantasy XIV - Populations (with outstanding performance)

Steam Charts: N/A

Twitch Views Average: 3,500

Reddit Members: 750k

Twitter Followers: 537k

Youtube Subs: 588k

Estimated Daily Avg. Concurrent 750k - 1.2m

So do the DEVS take the time / effort to ask or wonder why? I know they both ignore feedback, and infringe / delete / ban feedback (despite being done appropriately / without abuse etc). I would listen to Asmongold in that videe, and the original Youtube author, and think twice about population (for instance, it takes 10-20 minutes between PVP pops already - which means standing on fleet, twiddling thumbs) - and it's only going to get worse. That, mixed with insipid performance is the reason I downloaded FF14.

Edited by Lord_Ranon
Adding content

4 hours ago, Lord_Ranon said:

Oh, it's 100% the server response time. The disappointing thing here, is I play on other games with servers in almost exactly the same regions as SWTOR, and the actual response time is so much quicker, gameplay smoother, more rich, higher quality etc. I'm glad they are moving to 64 bit after all this time, but unfortunately, it's too late, and the population is already in heavy decline. The fact is, the actual quality of the servers (despite being a cash cow) are abysmal - they are basically a version of a rusted out Volkswagon with 3 wheels sitting in someone's backyard desperate for someone to pay her some attention & repairs.

Here are some actual recent stats (scroll to 4 minutes, 40 seconds) - but summarized as SWTOR is declining, and likely dead soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzXb3vbQWqU&t=1781s

SWTOR - Populations (with terrible performance)

Steam Charts: 6,850 (Peak), 3800 (Average)

Twitch Views Average: 150

Reddit Members: 211k

Twitter Followers: 306k

Youtube Subs: 241k

Estimated Daily Avg. Concurrent 10-20k

Versus say:

Final Fantasy XIV - Populations (with outstanding performance)

Steam Charts: N/A

Twitch Views Average: 3,500

Reddit Members: 750k

Twitter Followers: 537k

Youtube Subs: 588k

Estimated Daily Avg. Concurrent 750k - 1.2m

So do the DEVS take the time / effort to ask or wonder why? I know they both ignore feedback, and infringe / delete / ban feedback (despite being done appropriately / without abuse etc). I would listen to Asmongold in that videe, and the original Youtube author, and think twice about population (for instance, it takes 10-20 minutes between PVP pops already - which means standing on fleet, twiddling thumbs) - and it's only going to get worse. That, mixed with insipid performance is the reason I downloaded FF14.

Does the server have issues sometimes? Sure. 
Is that what’s happening to you all the time? No.

How do I know it’s not the servers? Because I play from regional NSW. My connection actually has to travel to Sydney before going to the servers & I get 208-220ms using WTFast.

If youre in Sydney as I suspect, you should be getting 220-240ms Ping without WTFast. But you’re getting 330ms.

So you’re either trying to play on a European server or you’ve got bad routing to the server. I can try & help you get a better connection. But not if I don’t have all the facts.

Can you confirm what server you’re trying to play on? What ISP you’re using? And wether you use the Steam or  Standard game login?