Star Forge Down

Ixcoria

1 minute ago, mrgoo said:

Can we get an update on the status of Star Forge Please?

According to the banner up there in nice orange, they are aware there are problems.

What, you want communication?  They used orange for a background!  Communication!

Now excuse me whilst I bring up my morse-code enigma encoder, I have secret annoying messages to spam in the message system.
/Never_cost_coder_playtime

53 minutes ago, Ixcoria said:

Of all the timing Star Wars I'm trying to exit out of Black Talon after finishing it  which jams randomly anyways.  I thought it was that but no.  You brought the server down?

I was mid-conversation with a quest giver on Nar Shadda when I got kicked out. I just hope this doesn't mess with my conversation choices :D

8 minutes ago, myrdinn said:

According to the banner up there in nice orange, they are aware there are problems.

What, you want communication?  They used orange for a background!  Communication!

Now excuse me whilst I bring up my morse-code enigma encoder, I have secret annoying messages to spam in the message system.
/Never_cost_coder_playtime

I am sure they are working on getting it back online asap. I am hoping for a larger update on a long-term solution. Seems like this has been happening to StarForge a lot lately which makes me worry there is a more serious hardware failure in play on StarForge. I am more curious about any findings and long-term solutions. I don't want to lose 11 years of progress and I hope they have backups.

5 minutes ago, Azraael said:

So if the server is down... why doesn't the launcher let you choose another server instead of an endless loading screen?

It will let you pick another server restart your computer and it will clear your cache try and connect again and fail after 30 seconds you should now be able to select another server.

2 minutes ago, mrgoo said:

I am sure they are working on getting it back online asap. I am hoping for a larger update on a long-term solution. Seems like this has been happening to StarForge a lot lately which makes me worry there is a more serious hardware failure in play on StarForge. I am more curious about any findings and long-term solutions. I don't want to lose 11 years of progress and I hope they have backups.

Good news: with distributed systems like an MMO?  There are most definitely a ton of backups.
Loss of more than a few hours or days (to to a last build) is in a "ludicrously unheard of" territory.

3 minutes ago, Exly said:

Investigation is good but it would be nice if they could give us some indication of when they expect to have the server back up and running again.

Eh, I have been in scenarios wherein I thought I would have my university's system up in minutes...
and twelve hours later finally succeed.

Twice in twenty-seven years.

2 minutes ago, myrdinn said:

Eh, I have been in scenarios wherein I thought I would have my university's system up in minutes...

Did you give people updates along the way, or did you keep the information to yourself?  I understand that sometimes troubleshooting problems takes time, and implementing fixes can uncover new problems, but still, keeping people who depend on you informed seems like the right thing to do.

4 minutes ago, myrdinn said:

Historically this server has had great uptime just not compared to recent stats. I am sure they will figure it out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrgoo said:

Historically this server has had great uptime just not compared to recent stats. I am sure they will figure it out.

Cool. I think that too.  I just want to know if they think the fix will be put into place soon, or if they think it will take several hours.

If they can get things working soon, then I can be patient and wait, but sill plan on playing tonight.  But, if they think it will take several hours I will stop waiting around and just move on and do something else.  I can live with either answer, I just want to know which to expect.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Exly said:

Did you give people updates along the way, or did you keep the information to yourself?  I understand that sometimes troubleshooting problems takes time, and implementing fixes can uncover new problems, but still, keeping people who depend on you informed seems like the right thing to do.

Normally I gave updates and eta as I knew them... but sometimes even the best guess is in the wrong solar system.
When I did not, it was because it was either five minutes away, or I did not want to say "f*ck if I know, this line here is just changing between a dot and a star whilst I want for the kernel to finish this command."

Incidentally, a LOT of my various script files have "put in good notation sometime" or "you should put comments in here telling yourself what genius coding this was meant to be sometime" and "I know we do not drink, but what is THIS scribble of code supposed to mean?!"