Replay Class Story, Onslaught and forward

juanmf

I still find it odd we can replay KoTFE/KoTET but not the old/new story missions, although now that I think a bit more about it, would even be possible to implement something like that? Maybe through a terminal in your ship that grants you the Planet's class quests.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, juanmf said:

I still find it odd we can replay KoTFE/KoTET but not the old/new story missions, although now that I think a bit more about it, would even be possible to implement something like that? Maybe through a terminal in your ship that grants you the Planet's class quests.

"Possible"?  Sure.  (Almost) anything is possible in software if you're willing to pay the development and hardware costs.

"Feasible"?  A bit less.  You have to understand that "feasible", in this context, means "possible, but at a reasonable cost".

If they haven't retrofitted repeatability onto the pre-KotFE main story, it's because they don't think it's feasible, and they clearly didn't think that the post-KotET story would benefit from it.

Or maybe they saw that too many weird bugs were directly caused by the KotFE/ET repeatability, and they decided it was a bad idea to continue it.

Caveat Lector: I have been a professional software developer (although not of games(1)(2)) since 1989, soon-to-be 34 years.

(1) I mostly dismiss arguments based on "you've done this kind of developer stuff in the past, therefore you can't have a job doing that kind of development stuff".

(2) I could have had chance at a job at Eidos (the folks who originally developed the Tomb Raider games) back at the end of 2008, when I was looking for a new job and Eidos were recruiting for a new soccer management simulator.  The problem was that I wasn't really a big footie fan, not at the level they were searching for for the team, so I turned down the chance.  It was suggested by Every. Single. G. D. M. F. Recruiter. Who. Called. Me.(3), and I still turned it down.

I'm still torn about that decision today, fourteen years later.

(3) Except the one that got me my current job, obviously, but he was based in a different country...

• 3 months later...

Was going to post this same thing, but as it is already a post, giving it a bump.  Replaying the entirety of the single player story (or any individual missions therein) on the same character is literally the #1 thing I wish I could do in this game that I can't do.

Just replaying the flashpoints (some of which don't even contain a single original cutscene - looking at you, fractured alliances flashpoints with zero Theron or Lana in them) is not the same.  Making a new character to replay it, also just not the same.

I definitely understand the potential cost prohibitive nature and the fact that they haven't done it already meaning it may not even be possible, but nevertheless if it did happen I would be so happy to even be replaying it at all that I honestly wouldn't even care if it was vaguely jank and full of bugs lol

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 4/7/2023 at 6:42 AM, cannibithobbal said:

Was going to post this same thing, but as it is already a post, giving it a bump.  Replaying the entirety of the single player story (or any individual missions therein) on the same character is literally the #1 thing I wish I could do in this game that I can't do.

Just replaying the flashpoints (some of which don't even contain a single original cutscene - looking at you, fractured alliances flashpoints with zero Theron or Lana in them) is not the same.  Making a new character to replay it, also just not the same.

I definitely understand the potential cost prohibitive nature and the fact that they haven't done it already meaning it may not even be possible, but nevertheless if it did happen I would be so happy to even be replaying it at all that I honestly wouldn't even care if it was vaguely jank and full of bugs lol

Creating a new character and using the level 80 boost token to get all abilities, and then playing through the class story is effectively the same thing as far as player experience, but and it gives BioWare/EA revenue.  I feel they're not likely to implement a class story "replay" for existing characters because of this.

Edited by Deelmackey

20 minutes ago, Deelmackey said:

Creating a new character and using the level 80 boost token to get all abilities, and then playing through the class story is effectively the same thing as far as player experience, but and it gives BioWare/EA revenue.  I feel they're not likely to implement a class story "replay" for existing characters because of this.

At the risk of being a total contrarian, making a new character and using level 80 boost then replaying is not even remotely the same thing for player experience as being able to go in an individually replay a single mission from anywhere in the story (as you can currently do with KotFE/KotET), it restricts you to a single run of every mission, all the way through in order from the beginning OR all the way through in order starting later but have it auto complete everything before and NEVER let you play through the previous content.  You may be right that the devs are not going to implement it and that money is almost certainly a major reason why, but what we want from mission replayability is very different from what is offered by a level 80 boost on a new character.

• Like 3

I see your point; it isn't *exactly* the same experience.  Although I think "not even remotely the same" is a bit of a stretch.  😉

Because, let's face it, there are people who do exactly what I mentioned, and it gives them the satisfaction of a class story replay-through without the hassles of a brand new level 1 character with limited abilities, and they're perfectly fine with that experience.

But anyway, to your point, it would be a cool thing for them to just allow replaying of any of the stories like they do with KOTFE/KOTET, but I don't think they'll find enough of a justification from a business perspective for this unfortunately.

Edited by Deelmackey

Just now, Deelmackey said:

Although I think "not even remotely the same" I think is a bit of a stretch.  😉

Ok, I see you calling out my hyperbole there, you are correct, technically both involve replaying so they are REMOTELY the same 😂

I will add that another reason I want to be able to replay missions from an existing character because this very specifically does not work on a boosted character: I record my playthroughs and for continuity reasons I want to be able to replay earlier missions with companions you don't get until later, and companion customizations/gear you can't get/add until later, particularly stories post-KotET (like, I very very much want to put Theron's undercover hair on for fractured alliances, and I would love to have Quinn and Elara have custom outfits when they arrive on Iokath, would like to have Kira and Scourge show back up in custom outfits, etc etc)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cannibithobbal said:

Ok, I see you calling out my hyperbole there, you are correct, technically both involve replaying so they are REMOTELY the same 😂

I will add that another reason I want to be able to replay missions from an existing character because this very specifically does not work on a boosted character: I record my playthroughs and for continuity reasons I want to be able to replay earlier missions with companions you don't get until later, and companion customizations/gear you can't get/add until later, particularly stories post-KotET (like, I very very much want to put Theron's undercover hair on for fractured alliances, and I would love to have Quinn and Elara have custom outfits when they arrive on Iokath, would like to have Kira and Scourge show back up in custom outfits, etc etc)

Ahhh, okay, that's an interesting consideration from an RP perspective and I'd never thought about how cool it might be to do some of those stories with later companions.  Although, the expense of recording voice-overs for all of the possible companion combinations you could have in the early stories would be rather gigantic.  Unless you're not concerned about cut-scenes, and just want them to be there by your side through the missions for RP purposes, that is.

Also chiming in that I would love to be able to replay class stories. Definitely from an RP perspective, but for me, also just from a 'remind me what happened here?' perspective. I use a lot of class story content as fanfic research, and even just being able to access areas that are otherwise inaccessible for environmental study would be fabulous. Sure, I've gotten better about recording cutscenes, but it's a bit of a pain to have to play through a whole fresh character to get back to one particular point, especially if it's later in the story. And sure, I could maybe find playthroughs on youtube and such, but I've never enjoyed watching other people play games, and in the past it's been a hassle to find a playthrough that has the one particular dialogue choice I might be looking for. So very much agreed - it'd be really useful to be able to jump in at various points like with KOTXX and replay.

1 hour ago, Deelmackey said:

Ahhh, okay, that's an interesting consideration from an RP perspective and I'd never thought about how cool it might be to do some of those stories with later companions.  Although, the expense of recording voice-overs for all of the possible companion combinations you could have in the early stories would be rather gigantic.  Unless you're not concerned about cut-scenes, and just want them to be there by your side through the missions for RP purposes, that is.

I guess I worded my thing badly, the playing with companions from later would be more for funsies (like, for example, playing through class story missions with Theron or Lana for totally canon breaking giggles!) and I would not mind at all if they were silent in the background of cutscenes the way companions are later on in the story.  The more RP/recording stuff would be the continuity of having people show up in the outfits I give them after I acquire them as companion and getting Theron's hair on him earlier and stuff that I mentioned in the other example.  So, two different situations but both fun for different reasons and both impossible on a fresh character.

Edited by cannibithobbal
  • Like 1