Sith Warrior Class Story quest "Arm Yourself" reward vibrosword is bugged.

Dayshadow

When you retrieve the Sith Warblade it's not the warblade you pick up in the cutscene. It's looks just like the basic training sword you start with. This contradicts story elements in the Sith Warrior Story. Characters talk about your blade and the fact you got one early, but you don't have one. You still have a "practice blade of lesser acolytes." It's immersion breaking. Even its icon in the inventory is bugged and shows a lightsaber. Apparently, this has been bugged for nearly a year. I don't see how this is a hard fix.

Do you simply not care? If not, please let us know so we can stop wasting time reporting bugs and having false hope in regard to things you consigned to leave broken and immersion breaking.

6 hours ago, Dayshadow said:

. I don't see how this is a hard fix.

Because you aren't considering the spiderweb entanglements of 10-12 year old game CODE.

Basically, the short version is:  This issue is  widespread  (not isolated to your  'Sith Warrior'  mission situation)  and would require a complete rewrite/refactor'ing of the original  cutscene-interpretation system ( by "interpretation"  i mean how the server  interprets what your character looks like  within certain story-triggered cutscenes ---Example:  sometimes they show you with a helmet on , but  other times with helmet off , even though you might have 'show headslot'  option clicked 100% ) .

6 hours ago, Dayshadow said:

Do you simply not care?

Your frustrated sarcasm aside, you make a mistake by going down that  "Devs just don't care!"  type road.

Devs (coders) always care, especially about their own code.  If they didn't care, they'd be fired.

Instead, think of it how Developers (and their EA bosses)  think:  It's all about....priorities.

Right now---or even over the past year--there are certain benchmarks & infrastructures that absolutely MUST be coded  ASAP , or else  certain new updates (like 7.2, for example)  won't be able to release on time (or whenever) .  So, the small bare-bones team of BioWare coders  still here only have a very short window to do any minor (as in, non-gamebreaking) bug-fixing , much less full  rewrites or refactors.

Who knows though,  it's very possible someone at BioWare (coder) is watching your thread right now and thinking:  "hmm, maybe after i finish  ______ lines for 7.2  , i'll go down this rabbit-hole"  and  then *bam* you get an exception that proves the rule  posted in subsequent Patch Notes. :ph_win:

This was reported way back before 7.0 even launched (in the pre-delay PTS testing). It occurred as a result of the 7.0 coding probably due to reassignment of the internal identifiers for the various pieces of equipment with the changes to gear in general (or perhaps even the combat styles themselves as they tried to make the mirror classes more alike).

3 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

Because you aren't considering the spiderweb entanglements of 10-12 year old game CODE.

Basically, the short version is:  This issue is  widespread  (not isolated to your  'Sith Warrior'  mission situation)  and would require a complete rewrite/refactor'ing of the original  cutscene-interpretation system ( by "interpretation"  i mean how the server  interprets what your character looks like  within certain story-triggered cutscenes ---Example:  sometimes they show you with a helmet on , but  other times with helmet off , even though you might have 'show headslot'  option clicked 100% ) .

Your frustrated sarcasm aside, you make a mistake by going down that  "Devs just don't care!"  type road.

Devs (coders) always care, especially about their own code.  If they didn't care, they'd be fired.

Instead, think of it how Developers (and their EA bosses)  think:  It's all about....priorities.

Right now---or even over the past year--there are certain benchmarks & infrastructures that absolutely MUST be coded  ASAP , or else  certain new updates (like 7.2, for example)  won't be able to release on time (or whenever) .  So, the small bare-bones team of BioWare coders  still here only have a very short window to do any minor (as in, non-gamebreaking) bug-fixing , much less full  rewrites or refactors.

Who knows though,  it's very possible someone at BioWare (coder) is watching your thread right now and thinking:  "hmm, maybe after i finish  ______ lines for 7.2  , i'll go down this rabbit-hole"  and  then *bam* you get an exception that proves the rule  posted in subsequent Patch Notes. :ph_win:

Apparently, they didn't need to rewrite the entire code to fix the Jedi Knight lightsaber forging scene. We're talking about a model swap. A model that is currently used on a Marauder offhand weapon reward from the "Judge and Executioner" quest. Wouldn't they just have to replace "itm.gen.quest.origin_story.imp.dps.ilvl_0006.premium.korriban_mainhand_lightsaber" with "itm.eq.class.war.base.vibroblade.premium.class_quest_01_a"? Something like that. The original weapon still exists in game for people who still have it and can be equipped. The least they could do if put the correct model weapon on the Specialty Vendor for a cheap price affordable for new players who just cleared the tomb. And make it usable for Sith Warrior only if they want to keep it Warrior only. It's jarring having the in-game dialog and imagery contradict itself.

If there is no hope for these types of fixes, I want to know so I can move on. Whether or not they care about such things isn't quantifiable. So, no, they wouldn't get fired if they didn't care. They get fired if they don't do their job. And when I said that I wasn't talking about whether or not they care about the entire games code as a whole, but the issue I'm bringing up specifically. Do they care that this bug is immersion breaking? All signs point to "No", but I can't confirm that. I'd like them to confirm it one way or the other.

20 hours ago, Dayshadow said:

. I'd like them to confirm it one way or the other.

If you expect to hear from the actual coders, you're gonna be disappointed.  ( They rarely ever post anything:  https://forums.swtor.com/discover/6/ )

But i hear you (and agree with you) about the immersion-breaking aspect.

* btw, forgot to mention: Sometimes the  helmet comes off in certain cutscenes  is intended, because of like when your character takes a drink in the scene.

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: correction

On 12/4/2022 at 5:54 PM, Nee-Elder said:

Close, but not much cigar.  It's a mission reward that's determined by your chosen combat style.  It should just be possible to change the item granted by the mission for the styles that were previously compatible with the character's origin (or maybe all the one-blade sabre styles, discuss), so that it gives a stat-balanced (compared to the other styles) item that looks like the old one.

All the Force User stories have the same problem *somewhere*, because they all show a single-sabre weapon at the end of the starter world that magically becomes whatever matches your style.  Gun stories don't seem to have that problem.

3 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Close, but not much cigar. 

You're speculating about SWTOR game code (specifically)  just as much as anyone.

At least until BioWare releases it publicly someday.

4 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

It should just be possible to change the item granted by the mission for the styles that were previously compatible with the character's origin

So if it's so easy/simple, then why hasn't BioWare coded/fixed it yet?

Let's see  if this issue becomes listed as resolved, once  7.2  Patch Notes go up:  https://www.swtor.com/patchnotes  ...  "soon" .  ( aka  "Winter" release )

2 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

So if it's so easy/simple, then why hasn't BioWare coded/fixed it yet?

Priorities.  For whatever reason, they have decided that other things were more important.

And the related problem (about the end-of-planet reward on starter planets) has been there since at least 5.0, and arguably since 4.0 added the ability to choose your advanced class directly at level 10 rather than *having* to wait until you took the Fleet shuttle.

On 12/4/2022 at 2:43 PM, Nee-Elder said:

If you expect to hear from the actual coders, you're gonna be disappointed.  ( They rarely ever post anything:  https://forums.swtor.com/discover/6/ )

But i hear you (and agree with you) about the immersion-breaking aspect.

* btw, forgot to mention: Sometimes the  helmet comes off in certain cutscenes  is intended, because of like when your character takes a drink in the scene.

Well, at least customer support will send you the proper Sith Warblade. But you have to stop everything and wait a day or two for them to get to your ticket.

They could make the starter planet gear part of collections. You do get a Sith warblade in the Jedi Knight (Sentinel) storyline (of course the icon and name are still wrong, but the appearance is right). Those two got swapped somehow during the original coding of 7.0.

12 hours ago, DWho said:

They could make the starter planet gear part of collections. You do get a Sith warblade in the Jedi Knight (Sentinel) storyline (of course the icon and name are still wrong, but the appearance is right). Those two got swapped somehow during the original coding of 7.0.

Marauders get it too. They just applied a one-size fits all approach to everything, which broke everything. I made a bug report and the customer service sent me the correct Sith Warblade for my juggernaut.