I keep dying in the origin story as a healer

loremastercampbe

I'm trying to play the healing spec in the origin story. Some mobs are fine but on the more difficult mobs I just keep dying. I've tried setting my companion to both dps and tank and I still have the same problem. I heal fine and I know my combos fairly well. It's just every time I fight a group of enemies they target me instead of my companion and I just ending up dying because I can't heal myself except for like one defensive ability that doesn't heal enough for the dps they're doing. I really want to keep levelling as a healer after the origin story as well as play other content as a healer so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

10 minutes ago, loremastercampbe said:

I'm trying to play the healing spec in the origin story. Some mobs are fine but on the more difficult mobs I just keep dying. I've tried setting my companion to both dps and tank and I still have the same problem.

I really want to keep levelling as a healer after the origin story as well as play other content as a healer so any advice would be much appreciated.

hi,  first  a few questions:

1.  Are you playing  Sith Sorcerer or Jedi Sage ?
  2.  What  'level'  are you currently?
  3.  Which  planet are you having trouble on?
  4.  When you say  "fight group of enemies" ,  exactly how many do you mean?  And they 'trash' mobs  or  silver-elites or gold-elites  too ?
  5.  Are you equipping all the  'green' GEAR  you loot from mobs & crates & such?
  6.  Have you done any of the beginner/progressive  Flashpoints yet?  ( like  'The Esseless'  or  'The Foundry'  or  'Hammer Station' , etc. etc. )
  7.  Exactly which companion  are you using?  ( most companions have been homogenized & neutered  by BioWare nowadays, unfortunately, but  still some are slightly more effective than others )

Secondly,  when you have some time, checking out these  GUIDES  might help you a bit:

Hey, 

I'm playing Sith Sorcerer 

I'm level 38, I was thinking of maybe getting some levels up before I tried again

I'm having trouble on Hoth 

They are trash mobs with a silver elite usually and it's the trash mobs that keep killing me because the silver elite will generally attack my companion

Yes I'm equipping all that gear and they've been repaired

I'm using the jedi girl that becomes your apprentice in the story

Thanks I'll check out those guides and see if it helps. I was thinking of using the helmet your given as my helmet as your able to modify it. I'm not sure if I can buy mods at my level but maybe they added the helmet in the story for this reason. 

5 minutes ago, loremastercampbe said:

. I'm not sure if I can buy mods at my level but maybe they added the helmet in the story for this reason. 

Well,  tbh  you don't even really need to worry about  gearing  until  Level 80 nowadays , because of  7.0 era & 'bolster' .

However, if you feel like  'modding'  just for fun , there are still  a series of  'Modification'  vendors up within the Supplies section of  FLEET.

On 11/4/2022 at 11:04 PM, loremastercampbe said:

Alright thanks for the advice guys. I'm alright with leveling as a dps. As long as I can play solo content as a healer once I'm 70+, that was my main concern. 

Unfortunately, leveling with a healer is very difficult.  It's much easier to level as a DPS and put your companion on heals.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 12:04 AM, loremastercampbe said:

Alright, thanks for the advice guys. I'm alright with leveling as a dps. As long as I can play solo content as a healer once I'm 70+, that was my main concern. 

I leveled at launch as a healer, scoundrel healer to be exact. It was difficult but I was able to do it.   Lucky for me, I had a guild so if I ran into some problems, they would help.  Sometimes some of the NPC decide they would rather attack you instead of your companions.  You might want to raise the level of companion some as well, if you have a low-level companion, that can cause trouble as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Idk what you are talking about. I am currently leveling as a sage healer and i can do hero missions no problem. Either you are underleveled or you waste too much focus on damage. Just put your 2 dots on a mob and then put up shields for you and your companion, then heal as needed. Maybe throw out some interrupts or rockthrows.

• 5 months later...
On 6/3/2023 at 6:39 PM, Khoxion said:

I guess the best companion for a healer would be Shae Vizla, as she has the best DPS.

And she's also available for every Player Character, so yes, she may be the best, I'll have to level up her Influence and try her out. 

On 11/4/2022 at 11:11 PM, loremastercampbe said:

Hey, 

I'm playing Sith Sorcerer 

I'm level 38, I was thinking of maybe getting some levels up before I tried again

I'm having trouble on Hoth 

They are trash mobs with a silver elite usually and it's the trash mobs that keep killing me because the silver elite will generally attack my companion

Yes I'm equipping all that gear and they've been repaired

I'm using the jedi girl that becomes your apprentice in the story

Thanks I'll check out those guides and see if it helps. I was thinking of using the helmet your given as my helmet as your able to modify it. I'm not sure if I can buy mods at my level but maybe they added the helmet in the story for this reason. 

Something I've been doing for a long time, that might help you, is to visit a Medical Droid and BUY some Stims.  Specifically, you can either buy the best Stim they have that boosts Endurance and Defense, OR you can buy the one that boosts Mastery and... something else.  Both kinds last 60 minutes.  The Endurance/Defense one keeps you alive longer, the Mastery/Whatever one makes you more effective in combat, so pick your poison.

The other thing to do is visit a Bartender (such as the one at your Fleet Space Station) and BUY both the consumable food and drink items, and use those.  The food item will give you and your companion auto Health Regen when out of combat that lasts for 30 mins, and the drink will boost your Presence stat that improves how well your Companion performs, also for 30 mins.

Before doing any Flashpoints, I use both the food and drink, as well as the stim of my choice, because all 3 will stack and give a bump to the stats for both myself and my Companion.

Hope that helps, it definitely seems to keep my characters alive longer, but some of those trash mobs are REALLY trashy, and the game allows WAAAY too many characters to "gang bang" you and your companion all at once.  The Flashpoints need a major overhaul for game balancing reasons, and to allow Solo players to run the older ones on their own. 

Edited by ReKabNad