Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

This game is a failure as multiplayer. Develop single player aspects only

SoonerJBD

Forced group content doesn't necessarily produce good group players. It tends to produce players that have to be carried because all they really did was follow along. I think that (story) flashpoints produce better group players, because if you mess up then it's all on you. Dying because you're standing lava (e.g. red circles) teaches, not having someone use Rescue or otherwise pull you out.

As far as FF14 goes, I got tired of having to stop every fourth or fifth mission (about 5-8 minutes) in order to sit in queue for an hour has the opposite effect for me. I was spending more time just waiting (as I tend to play during off times) than actually doing anything.

Forced group content doesn't necessarily produce good group players. It tends to produce players that have to be carried because all they really did was follow along. I think that (story) flashpoints produce better group players, because if you mess up then it's all on you. Dying because you're standing lava (e.g. red circles) teaches, not having someone use Rescue or otherwise pull you out.

As far as FF14 goes, I got tired of having to stop every fourth or fifth mission (about 5-8 minutes) in order to sit in queue for an hour has the opposite effect for me. I was spending more time just waiting (as I tend to play during off times) than actually doing anything.

This doesn't really make sense to me. In the early story FPs, you have Jesus!Droid to ensure you can't die, so you can ignore hazards that would kill you in harder modes. In more recent story FPs, you're on your own but the difficulty has been reduced and you usually have some gimmick like a 'pet' companion, so again, you're able to faceroll most of the challenges. Bugs aside, Ruins of Nul and Spirit of Vengeance are hard FPs because you can easily die; the difference is that it takes a boss to kill you in those story FPs whereas in higher difficulty modes you can die to trash if you're not paying attention.

tl;dr story FPs didn't prepare me at all for the mechanics on Vet and with that in mind I'm too scared to do MM.

Edited by Ardrossan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.