The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Question: what will our old crates contain in 7.0?

fire-breath

Hi bioware,

When there is a bigger update some old currencies will be shafted. Usually, the old currency can be traded in for either credits or other rewards.

With 5.0 --> 6.0 we got credit chits in our old, defunct command crates

With 4.0 --> 5.0 we got credits for our data crystals and commendations.

Can you give us an update regarding your plans with:

1 - renown caches

2 - equipment crates (such as conquest and operation crates)

NB: Currently renown crates can't be traded in for anything. This is probably because the underlying system has been removed.

PS: If you haven't made a definite choice then feel free to say it. Just looking for clarity.

Its not just old crates that lost their interface. The gear boxes from the ossus weekly missions also cannot be opened, presumably because they used the same interface as command crates (and then renown).

So, best to open all that stuff now before the expansion.

No. Not best to open them now.

Officially we don't know yet what will happen with them.

That's why i'm asking for clarification. And thx for adding the other box :)

Sure it is. You need 6500 tech fragments per legendary implant, so you want to open them now while you can convert the stuff inside them into tech fragments, instead of having a useless box that can’t be opened and cannot be sold to a vendor. Same with the masterwork gear in the Ossus boxes.

Honestly, I’m shocked and grateful Tech Fragments aren’t going away such that we can actually stock up to have a head start going into the expansion. That never happens!

What I mean is.

We don't know what they will do with the crates when it hits live. If bioware keeps silent and decides not to tell us anything ... than yes. Opening them up is good idea.

Except for certain equipment crates. Some crates are giving quite a few techfrags on PTS currently.

Anyways. My point is.

Before we act we need to have definite details. Maybe we will be able to trade in caches for 500 tech frags each?

(probably not gonna happen. But my point is that we don't know what the plan is)

• 2 weeks later...
What I mean is.

We don't know what they will do with the crates when it hits live. If bioware keeps silent and decides not to tell us anything ... than yes. Opening them up is good idea.

Except for certain equipment crates. Some crates are giving quite a few techfrags on PTS currently.

Anyways. My point is.

Before we act we need to have definite details. Maybe we will be able to trade in caches for 500 tech frags each?

(probably not gonna happen. But my point is that we don't know what the plan is)

Looks like I was correct:

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9996014#edit9996014

Open the boxes NOW while you still can.

Looks like I was correct:

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9996014#edit9996014

Open the boxes NOW while you still can.

I would try what they said in the other thread and copy the character that has the crates on to the PTS and try opening them there and see if the copied ones actually open or are even copied over.

If they don't copy over then there is your answer.

I would try what they said in the other thread and copy the character that has the crates on to the PTS and try opening them there and see if the copied ones actually open or are even copied over.

If they don't copy over then there is your answer.

PTS isn't the final version though.

But the devs themselves said that they will disappear, so...

I'm just confused I guess about why people would keep their crates in the first place.

I'm just confused I guess about why people would keep their crates in the first place.

When Renown first launched, there was a minor incentive to keep them around for a while because they give gear based on your current Item Rating, so the stuff in them is better if you wait.

Once you get to 306, there's no point in keeping them unless you're maxed on Tech Frags.