The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Questions for devs: How will the chat system in 7.0 work (faction issue)

JattaGin

I just stumbled on something I find irritating, and I confirmed in chat that I don't have a thinking error. It's about chat and the WHO window.

Situation:

I played a republic char on the PTS and read in WHO that there was an Assassin online.

1. Will this confuse new players? Even I thought "why do I see imps in WHO?"

So I asked in general chat, if imp players can read my message.

No imp replied. But the "assassin" replied. They were a republic char on an assassin spec (advanced class? or whatever this is called nowadays).

While we chat, I wondered about this scenario:

2. A new (or any) player is, for example, on the promenade on Nar Shaddaa and sees two "assassins" in front of him. He writes something in chat for both of them. For example "you two assassins look like twins. Nice outfits." One assassin (republic char, imp advanced class) sees his message. The other assassin (imp char, imp advanced class) doesn't. Edit: On top of that, one assassin shows up in WHO and one doesn't.

Isn't that confusing? How will this be sorted? Would it be time for "one general chat" for all? I mean, if I see an assassin in WHO as a republic char, then factions don't really matter anymore anyway.

Suggestion: Unless BW doesn't have a good solution for this, I would suggest that WHO (and elsewhere?) doesn't just say assassin, but also mentions the original class ("Sage/Assassin" or something). Or whatever the term for that is now.

I am highly confused by this system as a veteran player. How will this be for new players?

Edited by JattaGin

I just stumbled on something I find irritating, and I confirmed in chat that I don't have a thinking error. It's about chat and the WHO window.

Situation:

I played a republic char on the PTS and read in WHO that there was an Assassin online.

1. Will this confuse new players? Even I thought "why do I see imps in WHO?"

So I asked in general chat, if imp players can read my message.

No imp replied. But the "assassin" replied. They were a republic char on an assassin spec (advanced class? or whatever this is called nowadays).

While we chat, I wondered about this scenario:

2. A new (or any) player is, for example, on the promenade on Nar Shaddaa and sees two "assassins" in front of him. He writes something in chat for both of them. For example "you two assassins look like twins. Nice outfits." One assassin (republic char, imp advanced class) sees his message. The other assassin (imp char, imp advanced class) doesn't. Edit: On top of that, one assassin shows up in WHO and one doesn't.

Isn't that confusing? How will this be sorted? Would it be time for "one general chat" for all? I mean, if I see an assassin in WHO as a republic char, then factions don't really matter anymore anyway.

Suggestion: Unless BW doesn't have a good solution for this, I would suggest that WHO (and elsewhere?) doesn't just say assassin, but also mentions the original class ("Sage/Assassin" or something). Or whatever the term for that is now.

I am highly confused by this system as a veteran player. How will this be for new players?

Won't be that confusing. It'll be like real life! You'll never know, if the one looking at you, isn't just ready to kill you!

I think this is a case of being more difficult for seasoned players. In my opinion new players have more of the…oh ok I guess thats how it is, and move on. Its those of us with memories or how it used to be that have more issues accepting it and moving on.