The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Needing some help with powertech gameplay (mainly survivability)

Lappaaja

Hello,

At the moment, I'm 29 advanced prototype and I'm having major survivability problems. I've been reading about how people barely have any downtime with the class but my hp is at approx. 50% after I've fought with just one strong and a few weak mobs. I have mako with me as a companion, but she does not seem to be that focused on healing me, even though she's on med watch and I've tried to disable all her skill exept the healing ones but that does not seem to help either. Any help? I have 5.6k hp and 22%reduce on damage and I hit about 500 or so dmg with rocket punch for example, so are those stat too low for a 29lvl, so all I would need is some better gear? am I missing something vital with my companion to make her a efficient healer (I have tried to gear her up), or do I just lack the skill to play the game?

Take off electrostasis for sure (and then continue to take it off everytime you zone, dismount, or summon her by any other means. Pretty obnoxious) but I've never had to take her attacks off. Most of her heals are on cooldowns anyway and she seems to settle into a decent rotation.

If his survivability is that big of an issue the two of them killing things slower is really not going to help things.

Plus it saves heat, that is one less target you have to Ret Blade before you can Rail Shot it.

This is not bragging but if you want a comparison I am a 30 PT specced in shield fully. I have about 6600 hp. My rocket punches crit for over 700 max - rail shots are over 600 max. This is on level 28-29 mobs on Alderan. With Mako healing me I can take on huge groups. I can handle a strong with 2 normals without losing much health and I can solo a single elite and sometimes 2. I can definitely handle 2 strongs with some normals without too much trouble.

Now I think the factors making the difference here is that I am taking on mobs a couple levels below me and that I am an armormech. All of my gear is right around my level and that includes Mako so she can actually heal for a decent amount (I make sure her gear has the highest cunning stat I can make). So my question is are you taking on mobs your level or higher? Also I know your gear is not as updated as it could be because you are bit under where you should be HP wise IMO.

Hope that helps...

Oh and I just read your post again... your at 22% damage reduction? You mean the reduction from armor or your shield%? Both of those are too low. I am over 40% from armor and I think 26% from sheild (not sure cause I am at work...). Your gear might be right on par but you are too squishy from the damage spec? Also as a side note I do not turn off any of Mako's skills. She prioritizes heals AND she uses her CC which helps a ton.

I would try using Ion gas cylinder even tho you are Adv Pro just to see if the added defense helps... I did that for some tougher fights when I was AP spec around level 20.

Edited by Primordal

Leveling as AP, on some of the elite fights I would replace Mako with Gault, switch to ion canister and play tank. I'd make Gault pull and dps just enough not to pull aggro. Once Gault was at 50% health, pull aggro, focus on my interrupts and use my cd's to survive while Gault handled a lot of the dps. Make sure to use rail shot when the crit buff is up, rocket punch and immolate on cd, ft when heat allows you to buff it with a few fb's first, and manage your defensive cd's.

Some of the melee elites are easily kited while Gault picks them to pieces.

Edited by Dirtybomb

22% dmg reduction... that is your problem right there..

I am level 27 and i have 6500 hp and 45% damage reduction.

If you upgrade your gear you won't have a problem, make sure you are always getting gear with highest possible armor rating/ defense rating when available

Hello,

At the moment, I'm 29 advanced prototype and I'm having major survivability problems. I've been reading about how people barely have any downtime with the class but my hp is at approx. 50% after I've fought with just one strong and a few weak mobs. I have mako with me as a companion, but she does not seem to be that focused on healing me, even though she's on med watch and I've tried to disable all her skill exept the healing ones but that does not seem to help either. Any help? I have 5.6k hp and 22%reduce on damage and I hit about 500 or so dmg with rocket punch for example, so are those stat too low for a 29lvl, so all I would need is some better gear? am I missing something vital with my companion to make her a efficient healer (I have tried to gear her up), or do I just lack the skill to play the game?

Use your cooldowns efficiently. E.g. If it's a tough or long fight, plan to use your stun and kolto overload early.

Use ion cylinder, seriously you won't lose much (if any) damage at your level.

Learn to use Mako's static electro stasis efficiently, which means take it off autocast. For example in your example of one strong and a few weaks, death from above if it's up, when it's about to finish, stasis the strong while you finish up the weak mobs.

Also remember you have ranged attacks, so you can kite if need be.

Or you can respec shield tech and face roll your way to level 50.

Edited by anwg

Thanks a lot for the info! Very useful tips and info from all or you, cheers to you! I'll try to enchance my (and makos ofc) gear when I get enough credits (damn riding skill took all of my money : P) and hopefully the problem will solve itself with some upgrading.

Once again, thank you all!

Oh and I just read your post again... your at 22% damage reduction? You mean the reduction from armor or your shield%? Both of those are too low. I am over 40% from armor and I think 26% from sheild (not sure cause I am at work...). Your gear might be right on par but you are too squishy from the damage spec? Also as a side note I do not turn off any of Mako's skills. She prioritizes heals AND she uses her CC which helps a ton.

I would try using Ion gas cylinder even tho you are Adv Pro just to see if the added defense helps... I did that for some tougher fights when I was AP spec around level 20.

could you post your build?

As a DPS spec you will be around 25% dmg reduction. With the Ion cylinder (Tanking) you will have over 40%.

When fighting Elites put your Ion cylinder on for an easier time.

With strongs on packs make sure to Stun the strong and take out all the normal/weak mobs first.