The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

For people talking about Saber Throw

SirCaldric

I think it's just missing due to how the new system is supposed to work, as can be seen here (click to show the spoiler on that post). It would appear that Saber Throw is an option at level 15, but in the current two paths in the PTS (A and B respectively), Saber Throw doesn't make an appearance:

~Level 15 - Choose one ability or passive

Blade Burst - Blade Storm becomes AoE and slows.

Saber Throw - Gain the Saber Throw Ability.

[A] Energy Barrage - Adds Energy Damage to Blade Barrage and it now immobilizes the target.

It is worth noting that as it says, these are subject to change. So yeah, it does look like our ability lists are getting slimmed down in favor of making "impactful choices" as we progress.

On one side (especially for high level veterans and competitive players) it seems weird to snippet out the abilities currently in the game to instead limit you to take a handful of them, considering these abilities would go hand-in-hand on Live right now.

On the other side, I can actually get behind this a little bit. This would affect every player, not just me. It would also mean that my Guardian in this case could potentially be more different than another Guardian. Disciplines will further put them apart.

Anyways, I hope that clears up why we don't have Saber Throw right now, for better or worse.

For "distinction" we've already got combat proficiencies. The problem is most people pick the same ones because there's a right set to use and a wrong one for things like pvp. I doubt this is changing that. We're very likely going to have right|wrong combinations of ability choices. We can't test it whatever the case... Edited by Savej

Yes, we know saber throw isn't gone forever and we can "choose" to regain it, but you should not be forced to choose between an ability and a passive...ever.

The issue is that around double digits number of abilities are being locked behind fake choices that results in you losing core abilities if you take a passive.

If at level 15 you gained saber throw and were given 3 passives related to saber throw, say for example:

A: saber throw's focus generation is doubled

B: saber throw gives an armour debuff

C: saber throw immobilises targets

Then it would be fine.

But instead it's choose a passive, b passive or c ability.

Yes, we know saber throw isn't gone forever and we can "choose" to regain it, but you should not be forced to choose between an ability and a passive...ever.

The issue is that around double digits number of abilities are being locked behind fake choices that results in you losing core abilities if you take a passive.

If at level 15 you gained saber throw and were given 3 passives related to saber throw, say for example:

A: saber throw's focus generation is doubled

B: saber throw gives an armour debuff

C: saber throw immobilises targets

Then it would be fine.

But instead it's choose a passive, b passive or c ability.

Agreed, but some thought it was gone forever so I just wanted to clarify it!

Respectfully OP, it shouldn't be gone at all. Stealing multiple abilities from us, then offering to give some of them back to us via "choices" is not choice. It's nothing new, isn't original, and in my book IMO is just lazy development. If they take 5 abilities from you, and offer to give you 2 of them back via "choices" you're still out 3 abilities no matter what you pick. No matter how you describe it, that's a nerf for the sake of a nerf.

Being able to use whatever weapons we want is cool. Choosing between passives is one thing, and is something we've done since the game released. However I should NEVER have to choose between an active ability and a passive one, especially not ones that have been baseline for ages. WoW did this same thing and actually had to reverse course because they removed too much. As one example Arcane mages for awhile had all of 2 buttons for their rotation. That's hardly unique or has any depth. This is akin to someone stealing my wallet that has $100 and my social security card in it, then offering to give me back $10 or my social security card, and pretending they've done me a favor. Either I'm out $90, my wallet and social security card, or I'm out $100 and my wallet. That's not a choice.