The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Color of my Armor looks different in the preview than when actually wearing it

OmgRoxxor

Hey,

i added two pictures of this "bug" i´m having since yesterday.

Both armor pieces look completly black in the "select character screen" and the ingame preview, but when im wearing them i get these weird color distortion that is visible to other players. So it cant be my graphic settings.

https://i.imgur.com/9vMSYdX.png

https://i.imgur.com/GEcRNrU.png

Anyone had something like this before?

Thanks for reading

The preview window uses a neutral lighting, while the rest of the game has colored ambience light, that adds a tint to everything. For most colors it looks natural: red clothing looks more vibrant in red light, but dull and dark in green light, for black that color-reflectivity needs to be deactivated, though, or it will look stained or washed out.

The dye module can't do that, so when an armor is set to have a part with a very vibrant color, that part will always behave like that color would, no matter what dye module you use. It's just not as noticable with other colors than black.

There are dye modules with a "blacker" black that conceals most specularity and color tints, but there is no dye module with super black / super black, and that color looks unnatural, IMO.

Edited by Mubrak

There are dye modules with a "blacker" black that conceals most specularity and color tints, but there is no dye module with super black / super black, and that color looks unnatural, IMO.

The key point is that the colour Mubrak calls "super black", what I usually call Ultrablack, is only found in modules with "theme" names rather than explicit colour names. So "Black/Dark Brown" has ordinary black, while "Underworld Boss" (I think), which describes itself as Black/Dark Brown, has Ultrablack.

There's a few armour sets that have no secondary slots at all, and they can be made to go 100% Ultrablack (outside of details which are dye-resistant). Example: Revealed Bodysuit: https://i.imgur.com/26S32ru.jpg in Underworld Boss (Ultrablack/Dark Brown). That's about the closest you'll get to PVC Dominatrix...

Not only what has been said above, but there is also a different render setting in some areas like the spaceport, where the reflective surfaces are bumped up. Sometimes, the colors will look a bit different there, as well, due to the increased reflection.

Thanks for the Reply´s.

The black of the Underworld Boss Dye is darker than other black dye´s, never knew that, so thanks^^

I found someone who had the Revan Reborn Set and gave him the same Dye Module im wearing and he doesnt have a brown stripe.

I have no idea whats going on but thank you for your time and efforts