Female Operative Concern

timeflies

I have been a member of the United States Armed Forces for 4 years. Not once in my career have I been directed to, seen, or personally referred to a female officer as "sir." That being said, I can not speak for all branches, only that in which I serve. Additionally, we're talking about Star Wars, not the United States.

At any rate, I have been unable to find anything that states that the United States military has ever sanctioned the usage of "sir" to address female officers. Maybe you're thinking of Star Trek?

Edited by Auilt

I have been a member of the United States Armed Forces for 4 years. Not once in my career have I been directed to, seen, or personally referred to a female officer as "sir." That being said, I can not speak for all branches, only that in which I serve. Additionally, we're talking about Star Wars, not the United States.

At any rate, I have been unable to find anything that states that the United States military has ever sanctioned the usage of "sir" to address female officers. Maybe you're thinking of Star Trek?

^ this

10chars

First off, the sir thing is intentional. Npcs refer to female npcs as sir. Example: in the Black Talon flashpoint, the guards call Lieutenant Sylas "sir". She's female.

Second, I've been in the US military for 10 years, navy and air force, and I can confirm that you address female officers as ma'am, never sir, at least IRL.

Yeah I think it was a Rodenberry / Heinlein thing and it seems to have stayed that way in modern science fiction. It seems appropriate with all the test tube babies and other things the Imperial Intelligence employs, lol.

Pretty much this. It's a futuristic, utopian equality thing. Just one of those things. Referring to your character as he, on the other hand, is not intentional I do not believe.

Its normal to be called sir in military hierachy even if youre a female. Maybe the US had a politically correctness phase (as usual) that caused a hichup for them, but most everywhere else youre a sir.

And besides thats how Steven Erikson does it, and he is god!

Yes, I also noticed that I was referred to with male pronouns in some of the loading screens. It's really annoying, and I hope (but doubt) it will be fixed.

I saw.... somewhere... about the females being referred to as "Sir", and it was stated by a dev that this was intentional. I wonder if I can find that again.... ah, here we go. It was in the Best Buy developer chat. Here's the quote from the transript:

Guest-2057: Regarding dialogue options, oftentimes, female characters are refered to as "Sir" or "Lord". Is this an unintentional oversight in the voice acting, or actually part of official Star Wars lore?

Gaming-BBY: >>James: Yes, this is intentional as it’s part of Star Wars lore.

Very early on in the Republic Trooper storyline you get a codex entry explaining that all officers are referred to as "sir" regardless of gender, or whether you're Republic or Sith military.

I don't remember getting a similar entry in the IA playthrough, but yes, it's definitely meant to be.

Also they've been so careful about using gender neutral terms in the story splash screens I'm surprised this one slipped through. Probably not high on the fix list, though

Edited by DoctorFeh