The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Headpiece that disables hoods

Not this again.

There are three main problems with this approach to hiding hoods:

* If something hides your "hides hood" helmet, it no longer hides your hood, so in helmet-hiding cut-scenes, the hood would reappear.

* I can't use some other helmet that *doesn't* hide hoods with a hidden hood.

* I can't *show* a hood with ===> that helmet (the usual one that people mention is Kallig's Countenance).

What you're seeking, really, it seems to me, is a way to hide your hood without having to wear one of ===> that list of helmets. The best way to approach that (in part because it solves all of the above problems) is a toggle alongside "Hide Head Slot" that would say something like "Hide Hood". Check it, and the hood disappears, even if the helmet says otherwise or is hidden. That is, move the hood hiding control from the helmet to the Outfit Designer slot.

• 2 weeks later...
Not this again.

There are three main problems with this approach to hiding hoods:

* If something hides your "hides hood" helmet, it no longer hides your hood, so in helmet-hiding cut-scenes, the hood would reappear.

* I can't use some other helmet that *doesn't* hide hoods with a hidden hood.

* I can't *show* a hood with ===> that helmet (the usual one that people mention is Kallig's Countenance).

What you're seeking, really, it seems to me, is a way to hide your hood without having to wear one of ===> that list of helmets. The best way to approach that (in part because it solves all of the above problems) is a toggle alongside "Hide Head Slot" that would say something like "Hide Hood". Check it, and the hood disappears, even if the helmet says otherwise or is hidden. That is, move the hood hiding control from the helmet to the Outfit Designer slot.

Cut scenes I personally don't care about. I'm probably the outlier here but I skip the story in SWTOR and considering I'm spending 99% of my game outside of cut scenes, even if I watched the cutscenes it wouldn't destroy the game more than seeing a hood while actively playing the game outside of cutscenes.

None of the Covert Armor pieces allows you to use another armor in it's place. If you use the Covert Gloves, you can't show another pair of gloves. Same for feet, chest, wrist, belt. It would work the same for a Covert Head option that hides hoods.

Having an option to hide hoods like a checkbox would be awesome but I doubt it's possible. The only real option which seems to currently be available without changing code would be creating an invisible head piece like the Zak Circlet, giving it a new icon and calling it a Covert Head Piece.

Cut scenes I personally don't care about. I'm probably the outlier here but I skip the story in SWTOR and considering I'm spending 99% of my game outside of cut scenes, even if I watched the cutscenes it wouldn't destroy the game more than seeing a hood while actively playing the game outside of cutscenes.

You might not care, but other people *do* care.

None of the Covert Armor pieces allows you to use another armor in it's place. If you use the Covert Gloves, you can't show another pair of gloves. Same for feet, chest, wrist, belt. It would work the same for a Covert Head option that hides hoods.

Duh. The point is that you wear Covert Energy gloves *so* your character has bare hands.

Using an invisible helmet to hide hoods is only useful if you want to *also* have no helmet. There are some helmets, e.g. the Eradicator's one whose proper name I forget, that leave hoods visible and people have commented that they'd like to hide the hood while wearing them. A Covert Energy helmet doesn't allow that.

Having an option to hide hoods like a checkbox would be awesome but I doubt it's possible.

Of course it's possible. Hood-hiding is already possible (these helmets do it, even if people sometimes don't want them to, and Togruta and Twi'leks *also* do it), and changing the condition from "the character is wearing a visible hides-hood helmet *or* is a Togruta *or* is a Twi'lek" to "the checkbox is turned on *or* the character is a Togruta *or* is a Twi'lek" isn't exactly difficult. Yes, they'd have to add the checkbox and save the setting, but that isn't hard either.

Aside: don't lecture me about how hard it is or is not to modify software. Doing exactly that (although not for games) has been my day job for over thirty years.

The only real option which seems to currently be available without changing code would be creating an invisible head piece like the Zak Circlet, giving it a new icon and calling it a Covert Head Piece.

Except that for the reasons noted, it wouldn't be the right solution. Not even close.

Depends on the actual hood and headpieces. Some headpieces really should have the ability to have hoods up with them especially if it looks like there should be no reason why the headpieces dont go under hoods examples being Mandalore Indomitable/Ultimate, Spectre/Phantom and variants (especially since the old picture of the phantom did have the headpiece under the hood which was cool but never had that feature to it), Fearsome Harbinger (its small and skinny enough for it not be able to go under hoods if you desired), gifted shadow's, ghostly magus, maybe the most kylo ren helm in the game (security soldier's) not that i like kylo ren but they pretty much added a look like helm in the game and not made it able to have a hood up is weird, Lord Kallig's (even got a NPC that had a hood up in Lord Kallig himself and yet we are not allowed to have hoods up on it). Those are just some of the 1s that would/may look better with actual hoods up than not having hoods. While there is still a lot of headpieces that would not be possible to have they should allow those that there is no reason for them not to be to. So like I said depends on the piece.

Depends on the actual hood and headpieces. Some headpieces really should have the ability to have hoods up with them especially if it looks like there should be no reason why the headpieces dont go under hoods examples being Mandalore Indomitable/Ultimate, Spectre/Phantom and variants (especially since the old picture of the phantom did have the headpiece under the hood which was cool but never had that feature to it), Fearsome Harbinger (its small and skinny enough for it not be able to go under hoods if you desired), gifted shadow's, ghostly magus, maybe the most kylo ren helm in the game (security soldier's) not that i like kylo ren but they pretty much added a look like helm in the game and not made it able to have a hood up is weird, Lord Kallig's (even got a NPC that had a hood up in Lord Kallig himself and yet we are not allowed to have hoods up on it). Those are just some of the 1s that would/may look better with actual hoods up than not having hoods. While there is still a lot of headpieces that would not be possible to have they should allow those that there is no reason for them not to be to. So like I said depends on the piece.

Look more closely at Kallig. He *doesn't* use a hood.

A major problem would be how you would 'hide the hood', and what the modified cheastpiece would look like.

If the 'hide hood' simply chops off the hood, that could look very crappy on most chestpieces. The rear of the chestpiece would simply be cut off at the neck?

If the 'hide hood' is meant to make the piece look 'hood down', that would require lots of reworking of all the chestpieces with hoods to make them look 'proper' when the hood is down.

A major problem would be how you would 'hide the hood', and what the modified cheastpiece would look like.

If the 'hide hood' simply chops off the hood, that could look very crappy on most chestpieces. The rear of the chestpiece would simply be cut off at the neck?

It would look exactly like it looks now with a Twi'lek or Togruta, or if you show a helmet marked "Hides Hood". (Some of those, mostly on Pubside, are just circlets, and the effect on your character's neck is clearly visible.)

If the 'hide hood' is meant to make the piece look 'hood down', that would require lots of reworking of all the chestpieces with hoods to make them look 'proper' when the hood is down.

Which is a thing I've been pointing out for some time on "hood up/down" threads.