Who loves the repetitive side quests?

DarthWoad

OP...one-post wonder. Never to be seen again. What we like to call an instigator.

There are a lot of side quests that are quite entertaining. "The Thing that Czerka Found" to name one. I've done it several times now, and it's quite fun each time.

I'd argue that the way BW does these sidequests actually makes them MORE fun than the very same sorts of quests you find in every other MMO.

In short, the OP is fail.

You could extend this criticism to practially any RPG. Practicall all RPG quests can be deconstructed in this manner (kill stuff, fetch stuff, solve puzzle). If this is not what you enjoy and you also choose to skip the story, it is no wonder you are bored.

How about going out to restaurants, do you enjoy that? It's always the same: Find a table, order food, wait for food, eat food, wait to get the check, pay, leave. Rather repetitive no?

But you don't have to always sit at the same table or order the same food. From playing Bethesda's games, which are usually UPS style quests, the story is the thing that makes it involving. With the side quests on SWTOR, they have no consequences for your character or the World you are on. They do not advance your story in any way.

How would you change the quests?

id get rid of the "bonus" quests and just focus on the main quests for the area (along with the story quests for the class) and increase the XP from them.

yes mmos in general are repetitive, but doing (generally) the SAME thing -- with these bonus quests -- every time you enter a new questing area is just boooooooring.

Edited by Anathar

From playing Bethesda's games, which are usually UPS style quests, the story is the thing that makes it involving. With the side quests on SWTOR, they have no consequences for your character or the World you are on. They do not advance your story in any way.

The side quests also have a story, altough they are much lighter and usually don't have the continuity that the class quests do. But since the OP stated that he skips the conversation, obviously he is not benefitting from the story.

Also, the side quests are optional. You can progress without them if you find them too repetitive. I'm a completist: I do every quest ones.

I actually have the opposite complaint: I wish the side quests were repeatable so that there were non-heroic repeatable quests, just for grins and giggles.

Edited by Kthx

Dont you just love how almost every side quest is the same? Kill x amount of these, bonus kill y amount of these, or go to Q and activate the P whilst having to kill enemies in order to get to the actual place as the guys are standing right in front of your objective.

I never listen to side quest dialogue, it has no impact on my character whatsoever apart from xp.

In order to progress in my class quest, I need to level up, and that means grinding side quests or doing warzone which is pretty unbalanced.

Flamesuit is on

I like'em. Profitable, and no different then any other MMO out there.

I do listen to them too. Mostly. See there's this thing called a story. I enjoy it.

by the way...

i dont think the OP was referring to the "side quests" but instead the "BONUS" quests you get while doing the side quests.

sometimes the "bonus" quests even tell you to kill more of what the original quest that brought you there told you to kill..just more of them... and for no reason other than to keep you in a certain area longer.

like the bonus that wants you to kill more rakghouls on taris...there are rakghouls everywhere on taris but you can only kill certain rakghouls in a certain area for it to count, before killing the named rakghoul to put its tooth in the mission box. its just dumb.

Edited by Anathar

id get rid of the "bonus" quests and just focus on the main quests for the area (along with the story quests for the class) and increase the XP from them.

One of the upcoming Legacy releases is increased XP from various things. So if you enjoy warzones, you can get boosted WZ experience. If you like doing your class quest, you can get boosted quest experience. I don't know the intention of the developers, but if I were to assume, I'd guess it's to address the feelings presented by the OP: Repetitive quests aren't so much fun, so if you can stay at-level just from doing what you enjoy, all the better!

You can see these on the "Legacy" window in-game, and click on the "Coming Soon" section to see some of the things that are coming.

Dont you just love how almost every side quest is the same? Kill x amount of these, bonus kill y amount of these, or go to Q and activate the P whilst having to kill enemies in order to get to the actual place as the guys are standing right in front of your objective.

I never listen to side quest dialogue, it has no impact on my character whatsoever apart from xp.

In order to progress in my class quest, I need to level up, and that means grinding side quests or doing warzone which is pretty unbalanced.

Flamesuit is on

Personally, I love the side quests. I never spacebar and have 4 level 50's already. Questing is my favorite part of the game, so yeah I love them.

SWTOR is exactly the kind of game I was looking for. Thanks BioWare! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.