Referral codes gone?

RagnorKar

So this seems the only place to post this.

Someone mentioned in chat the removal of referral codes, I wasn't sure it was real. Couldn't find any updates about it, but then looked on my account and sure enough there was no referral code. I've not been able to find any notes about it, and can still see some of the things set up for links about them, but not them themselves nor an explanation on what happened. I've actually never given out my own referral code before, which is probably why I hadn't noticed.

Does anyone know what's going on?

(Side note: My sub time is actually going to run out eventually, so if response stop coming, wouldn't be a surprise. I only sub semi-regularly cause...money)

Read the forum post by Keith Kanneg on the subject:

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9934508#edit9934508

Hey all,

On April 27th we will begin sunsetting our current Refer-a-Friend (RAF) program. Starting on that day, you will no longer be able to refer new players into the program via your RAF link--however any current referrals will remain in place.

What is the Refer-a-Friend program? The program is meant to incentivize sharing your link with friends, encouraging them to join you in our galaxy far, far away, and granting meaningful rewards to both of you. This helps you (and the community) by increasing the number of players to play with, and it also introduces people who’ve never played SWTOR to one of the biggest Star Wars experiences in an online game.

Why are we closing the program down? Those who have been playing our game for years and have used the program understand that right now, RAF is not quite meeting that goal.

Although this system is not perfect, we do understand that it has provided benefits which players have enjoyed. The first of those benefits was the ability to acquire Cartel Coins in-game without purchasing them. To account for the fact that this will no longer be possible through new referrals, we are bolstering the amount of Cartel Coins players can earn through Galactic Seasons in Game Update 6.3 from its current value of 2,000 this season to 4,000. This will give you a clear path to acquiring a few thousand Cartel Coins, just by playing SWTOR regularly!

Additionally, one of the benefits RAF gave brand-new players was free access to Character Titles and the “Unify Color” feature on armor sets. We are going to add both of those unlocks to all accounts going forward starting in Game Update 6.3. You no longer need to get referred status or pay to have those unlocks as a player, in any status, including free-to-play. Those two unlocks will be disabled for purchase and removed from the Cartel Market starting today since they will be coming for free to everyone soon.

We know this doesn’t account for everything that the RAF program had to offer, and we are considering how to replace those benefits going forward. We know players will still want methods to access those rewards, especially the unique mount and pets. Look for more details on that in the future.

Lastly, there are no immediate plans to replace the RAF program. We want to really take the time to assess what the old system did right, did wrong, and what will make the most sense to achieve the goals of a RAF program in today’s game.

Thank you all for your understanding.

--Keith--

(Side note: My sub time is actually going to run out eventually, so if response stop coming, wouldn't be a surprise. I only sub semi-regularly cause...money)

The RAF codes were very handy for this, a quick week when sub ran out, and hadn't been paid, or when new content came out, and you want to try, to see if it's worth subbing, etc.

Will be sorely missed.

They did say that they'd 'look' into options in the future, so hopefully it will be brought back, but without the cc's, as that is what seemed to cause most of the trouble. There's a thread in the main section , would do no harm to post your dislike there too, and hope for a speedy resolution to it

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=992143

If more people are vocal, it 'might' help . :D

Edited by DarkestMicheal

Thanks, yeah that's definitely something I've now looked at. If the referral system hadn't existed, I probably would never have subscribed at all and without it, it further makes me need to strongly consider subscribing again. My situations certainly different from some, but I'm sure there are others who went with similar ideas when going into the game.

The RAF codes were very handy for this, a quick week when sub ran out, and hadn't been paid, or when new content came out, and you want to try, to see if it's worth subbing, etc.

Will be sorely missed.

And THAT is the real reason they were abolished.

It allowed players to experience the "new content" for free, and many (if not most) players decided it wasn't worth subbing.

Because, let's be honest, apart from for die-hard SW fans-bois (of which I am one) when was last time this game had "new content" that was actually worth the cost of a Sub? The first half of KotET?

All The Best

Edited by DarthSpuds

And THAT is the real reason they were abolished.

It allowed players to experience the "new content" for free, and many (if not most) players decided it wasn't worth subbing.

...No. Yeah no, I'm pretty sure it was players raking in hundreds of thousands of CCs, advertising payment to new players and then not following through. i.e scamming them. The only difference that the free sub week would have, post-GS, is that if they timed it right, players could pay credits for lost weeks they had missed because they weren't subbing. But that would take the right timing and I doubt more than a handful would actually do that.

All The Best

And yet I feel this is insincere.:rolleyes: