Lethality: What am I missing?

Econometrix

I am returning to TOR after being away for 5+ years. I boosted a character to 70 so that I could try out some of the classes I'd not played before on a training dummy, including the operative. Does lethality perform poorly relative to other disciplines at level 70 with starter gear? I have read multiple guides and have tried multiple openers and rotations but cannot get it to perform as well as hatred, deception, concealment, arsenal, etc. on a target dummy. I think I have a relatively good understating of the basics (build and spend TAs on corrosive assault, maximize uptime on the two dots and toxic blast), but my parses for lethality (over ~1.5 min) are probably 7-15% worse than what I get with the other disciplines (dot or burst). My basic rotation is: Cloak-Holo-Stim boost and then a priority of lethal strike, the two dots and toxic blast, and shiv using corrosive blast whenever it is available and being careful to not exceeding the TA cap. However, I probably average 2600-2800 dps compared with 3000-3600 for deception, hatred, and concealment (with highest numbers for the last two disciplines). Again, these numbers are based on starter gear that comes with the boost.

I recognize that the operative is a bit tougher by design, with two resources to manage, and make no pretenses at being an exceptional player. However, I am getting pretty consistent dps numbers across the classes/disciplines, so I am left to think there is something I am missing.

I interpret the lack of response as indicating that my question is not germane to others' experiences. However, would it be fair to say that lethality is more gear dependent (or scales better with gear, or has better BiS gear) than other disciplines?

My stats at level 70 are nowhere near the desired (level 75) quantities presented in the guides. However, the rotation for lethality is not as hard as those for some other disciplines, while its performance seems to be quite consistently lower.

You aren't missing anything. Lethality is the aoe spec. I use it mainly for heroic starforge weeklies since you are forced to fight a lot of trash. Concealment is not that hot for multi target. it's also fun to put up big numbers in pvp if the enemy is dumb enough to clump a lot

otherwise concealment is both higher burst, higher sustained if you are properly managing acid lash and not just spamming lacerate like a monkey, and higher survivability

I am returning to TOR after being away for 5+ years. I boosted a character to 70 so that I could try out some of the classes I'd not played before on a training dummy, including the operative. Does lethality perform poorly relative to other disciplines at level 70 with starter gear? I have read multiple guides and have tried multiple openers and rotations but cannot get it to perform as well as hatred, deception, concealment, arsenal, etc. on a target dummy. I think I have a relatively good understating of the basics (build and spend TAs on corrosive assault, maximize uptime on the two dots and toxic blast), but my parses for lethality (over ~1.5 min) are probably 7-15% worse than what I get with the other disciplines (dot or burst). My basic rotation is: Cloak-Holo-Stim boost and then a priority of lethal strike, the two dots and toxic blast, and shiv using corrosive blast whenever it is available and being careful to not exceeding the TA cap. However, I probably average 2600-2800 dps compared with 3000-3600 for deception, hatred, and concealment (with highest numbers for the last two disciplines). Again, these numbers are based on starter gear that comes with the boost.

I recognize that the operative is a bit tougher by design, with two resources to manage, and make no pretenses at being an exceptional player. However, I am getting pretty consistent dps numbers across the classes/disciplines, so I am left to think there is something I am missing.

None of the classes are built to properly function before level 75. Thats just the nature of the game unfortunately. Lethality is a strong spec at max level and is worth learning. Your sustained is nearly as good as concealments and any amount of aoe available pushes lethality over the top in terms or dps compared to concealment.

Corran and LordZiost, thanks for the replies and validating my experience. I started leveling both an operative (24, conc) and an assassin (23, dec) and agree with the comment that the quality of the leveling experience varies widely between specs. At this level, the concealment operative feels much better given the availability of evasion and healing as well as the shorter CD of backstab as compared to reaping strike. The assassin has stronger CC but relies more heavily on it. I also feel that the tank abilities the assassin gains at lower levels (guard and the single-target taunt) have little value in solo (or duo with my son) PVE.

makes no sense at all to compare classes before lvl 75 and full gear, they are balanced around that. so classes can be complete dog**** at 70 and op at 75. but all classes are good enough to cealr every 70 content with no problems at all. just don't compare them makes no sense