The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Jedi Knight Revan Set - Leave It Dyeing As Is, Make a Darth Revan KOTOR Set Instead

arunav

There is another thread asking the new Jedi Knight Revan armor to be changed from PTS such that when dyed it colors the brown, leather parts black or whatever other color some players wish it did.

This ends up making it look tacky for what it is, Revan's LS KOTOR ending set, and limits dyes intended for the LS version of Revan's robes, something the game never included for players before now.

Instead, to satisfy players that want authentic Darth Revan robes from KOTOR, please consider making another set (which will sell really well) as the DS KOTOR ending set.

After all, they were 2 different looks (though with similarities) in KOTOR, and using dyes on the LS version to make it artificially similar to Darth Revan's isn't authentic to the character. It does a disservice to those who want a version that keeps true to the LS version, with the leather brown, and dyes, generally speaking, with LS colors well, in addition to not actually representing Darth Revan himself properly if changed.

The best solution isn't dying over Revan's LS robes - it's adding Darth Revan's KOTOR set, which again is distinct from the one being added. For example, it appears to have metal armor on it instead of leather, and includes a cape.

Many players have a poor sense of aesthetics (just look around fleet, including folks with expensive CM sets and dyes used on them), and catering to their design sensibilities isn't the best way to run the CM.

This is obviously my personal feedback, but not all players welcome what's in the other thread on this topic. Frankly, there are a number of Jedi sets in the game from the CM that also leave leather areas brown, and they are better for it.

Edited by arunav

Possibly stupid question...

Why not both?

Well, if changed so the new set dyes as suggested, the brown leather areas will become colored with many dye combinations currently available. It's an either/or situation, more or less.

As stated in my OP, I believe it's better to let LS KOTOR Revan robes, ones true to the KOTOR ending, make their way into the game, and later include a DS KOTOR Revan set for those that want that look. The sets are different enough you can't just dye the LS version and have it be authentic to Darth Revan.

Frankly, if you'd like a darker look on it, it already looks great as black with brown leather areas. It's just not Darth Revan's colors, which it shouldn't be. They aren't Darth Revan's robes.

Edited by arunav

This is the third revan set, I can't see them making a fourth, making it properly dyable might be the only possible solution for the moment.

If they're putting in LS Revan's KOTOR ending robes, why would you think the DS version, which is generally more popular, wouldn't be made?

Revan gear always sells well, and this game isn't going anywhere.

Edited by arunav

If they're putting in LS Revan's KOTOR ending robes, why would you think the DS version, which is generally more popular, wouldn't be made?

Revan gear always sells well, and this game isn't going anywhere.

Because they have three sets already, and the new one can be dyed to look like the other.

They might in the future, but can't see them doing it now. Going by their history, extra/different sets of already released sets, usually takes a while to be released. Malak, Malgus, revan, are three that pop to mind, but i'm sure there are others

You are completely missing the point, for most people this has nothing to do with wanting to artificially look like dark side Revan from Kotor 1, it's all about having a standout undyeable bit on what is an amazing looking CM armor set , with amazing parts, which in turn affects it's use as part of custom sets.

Making it fully dyeable is not a "disservice" to those who want a version that keeps true to the LS version, as that version is the base undyed version. The moment you apply any dye to the set at all it will no longer be "true" or "authentic" to the LS version anyways, so by your argument the set might as well be completely undyeable. If they released a Dark Side Revan armor set true to it's appearance in Kotor 1 and made the metal parts undyeable I would still complain about that.

Many players have a poor sense of aesthetics (just look around fleet, including folks with expensive CM sets and dyes used on them), and catering to their design sensibilities isn't the best way to run the CM.

First off, great way to insult a large chunk of the player base, I would love to see and judge these amazing outfits you apparently have on your characters. Also, not listening to the many people who buy the armor sets from the CM is totally a great way to run the CM.

This is obviously my personal feedback, but not all players welcome what's in the other thread on this topic.

This is nonsense, the discussion in the other thread was civil, people just did not agree with you.

Frankly, there are a number of Jedi sets in the game from the CM that also leave leather areas brown, and they are better for it.

Thats your opinion, and I disagree with you, I think they are worse off for it. Bastila Shan chestpiece has an ugly patch of reddish/brown leather at the center that does not dye, even though the other leathery parts do dye, meaning that with many dyes the game offers the chestpiece looks horrible. Similarly the Rohlan Dyre set, which I actually think is a pretty nice Mandalorian set, has that blue jumpsuit under the armor which does not dye at all, again making any customization of that set almost impossible (except for a few dyes that look good with that blue color). Leather gets dyed in the real world all the time, I don't see why the art of dyeing leather shouldn't exist in the Star Wars universe.

Edited by Darthjantom

This is the third revan set, I can't see them making a fourth, making it properly dyable might be the only possible solution for the moment.

Yeah. I wonder how many revan sets they wanna keep giving us. Its almost starting to get boring. There are so many good suggestions in the cartel market armor thread, or in the suggestion forum itself that looks like "traditional fashioned jedi & sith armors" but they keep giving us Revan's armor for the third time.

Yeah. I wonder how many revan sets they wanna keep giving us. Its almost starting to get boring. There are so many good suggestions in the cartel market armor thread, or in the suggestion forum itself that looks like "traditional fashioned jedi & sith armors" but they keep giving us Revan's armor for the third time.

Because he's iconic, and people keep asking for it /shrug

Also a lot of people gave out because the first one wasn't right. Not a lore expert so I neither agree nor disagree...lol

Hopefully this will put an end to it, and we can have some of the other really good ideas now.

You are completely missing the point, for most people this has nothing to do with wanting to artificially look like dark side Revan from Kotor 1, it's all about having a standout undyeable bit on what is an amazing looking CM armor set , with amazing parts, which in turn affects it's use as part of custom sets.

This to me is the important bit, because it's happened to a few sets, they've made parts undyeable, and it can ruin the effect you are trying to create. This is of course my opinion, but one I know is shared by many. It doesn't take anything away from rp'rs, it just gives everyone, or most people a chance to have what they want. Just like toggles, options, etc, the more choice people have, the better for most.

The needs of the many out weight the needs of the one ;)

Blasphemous I know, but could resist ;)

Edited by DarkTergon

More than likely they are going to charge us $50 for the set. If I'm going pay that much, it needs to be 100% dyeable. Look, there are many people like myself that take time to customize and create unique looks for our chars. Most of my characters have fully maxed out outfit slots. Sometimes I use full pure sets with maybe a dye added. Other times I mix set pieces to make something that fits my style and is more unique. Customization is a good thing. If someone decides to make a hideous looking outfit, that's their choice. To limit customization just because you don't want to see it, is a poor reason.