Understanding augements

Necrosia

Artifice Offhands, with Critical Successes, will open an augment slot.

So far, not had any critical successes on off-hands that I've been trying to make to keep for myself.

I've had a couple when I've been aiming to RE them to get upgraded schematics, but as of yet - diddly squat on the Artifact pieces.

So they're used to upgrade armor but i've made several pieces from synthweaving and can't find a slot, what slot do I put augements in and what kind of gear?

crit crafting with armor piece and weapons will give you a 'exceptional gear' with augment slot.

I find augments to be worthless in value. They come from multiple profession and are slicings only other option besides chance credit gains. Is there a reason why BW made Augments so abundant but made sockets for them sooooooooo limited. I have so many augments that I am about to start vendoring them since each person might need 2 for a lifetime. I can't figure out why there are so many and so little to do with them. They either need to increase augments or make the get augments missions yield mods or something else randomly to make them at all worthwhile.

Yeah I have craft critted before, and gotten an (Exceptional) Item. Does anyone know where the crit rate is derived from? Thanks

A few factors influence the critical crafting. The most obvious and confirmed ones are companion bonuses (Corso Riggs gets +5 Crit to Armstech, for example) and companion affection (higher affection = higher crit chance)

I believe straight out crew skill also does it (say the object requires 80 skill to make, you'll crit more with 300 than with 100) but I can't say 100% sure.

I sometimes get Augment slots on Exceptional (green) and Advanced (blue) Ear-pieces when I craft them. Not sure what the rate is, but it looks to be lower than 20%. That's based on recollection, though, and a relatively small sample size. I got 5 Advanced pieces out of around 30 pieces I crafted for RE purposes. Oddly, the rate on green gear has been lower for me, which probably indicates it will take a large sample size to nail down.