Is 6.5 million credits about right to boost a companion to 50?

Finrok

For the record, there is a vendor on the fleet that sells the purple grade comp gifts. I never bother with the token. For around 5 million I can buy enough gifts to just get a companion to 50 that way. I think it's a little under 5, but I always buy plenty to be sure. So that is a slightly cheaper option, though you do have to sit there and give them all the gifts.

I'm not sure what exactly is available, but I did buy a 3-pack of Commanders Compendiums from the Cartel Market for CC without needing Dark Projects. I don't know if you can buy them singly on the CM though.

EDIT: 900CC each, 1890CC for 3-pack.

Edited by JediQuaker

Definitely worth it if you like doing stuff with your companion. Just know that companions have been nerfed from what they were pre 6.0. Back then you could open world pvp and your comp could heal you through multiple enemy players damage but now your companion is almost useless for pvp. Still, having a maxed companion helps a lot for pve content and the taskmaster set significantly improves their performance even further (granted you sacrifice your own dps to increase their effectiveness). Then there's crafting. The time it takes to complete crew skills becomes shorter the higher your comp is.

For the record, there is a vendor on the fleet that sells the purple grade comp gifts. I never bother with the token. For around 5 million I can buy enough gifts to just get a companion to 50 that way. I think it's a little under 5, but I always buy plenty to be sure. So that is a slightly cheaper option, though you do have to sit there and give them all the gifts.

If it was like 2 million to use gifts, this might make sense - but saying it costs 5 million to buy gifts to endlessly feed to a comp versus just spending 4.3 and some craftable Dark Projects for the click once and done item seems silly.

I had loads of gifts left over from back when that was the only way to rank up - and I've sold mine on the GTN (the golds from boxes go for a lot) and just bought the instant rank 50s whenever I need to level another comp.

Honestly, gifts could be free and I'd still buy the instant rank 50 things - spending an hour mindlessly clicking just isn't something I'm willing to do anymore.

I'm not sure what exactly is available, but I did buy a 3-pack of Commanders Compendiums from the Cartel Market for CC without needing Dark Projects. I don't know if you can buy them singly on the CM though.

Given the CC to credit conversion rate these days, this is a terrible idea (unless you buy them for CC, sell them for credits, then use the credits to buy far more instant rank 50 tokens from the vendor).

For the CC of the three pack of instant rank 50s you could buy CM items, sell on the GTN, and make enough credits to buy a dozen (or more) instant rank 50s from the Fleet vendor, even if you had to buy the Dark Projects

Edited by DawnAskham

If it was like 2 million to use gifts, this might make sense - but saying it costs 5 million to buy gifts to endlessly feed to a comp versus just spending 4.3 and some craftable Dark Projects for the click once and done item seems silly..

Unless you aren't a big crafter and don't have all the mats stored up. If you have to spend the time getting the mats, or buy them on the gtn the Dark Projects can end up being far more expensive and time consuming. So, I think it's dependent on how a player plays. Also, my teeny guild is working on opening up their ship, so Dark Projects are used for buying encryptions.

Unless you aren't a big crafter and don't have all the mats stored up. If you have to spend the time getting the mats, or buy them on the gtn the Dark Projects can end up being far more expensive and time consuming. So, I think it's dependent on how a player plays. Also, my teeny guild is working on opening up their ship, so Dark Projects are used for buying encryptions.

Fair enough - though last I checked, Dark Projects were less than a million, and I've seen them substantially less on weeks with a repeatable conquest objective to craft them.

According to the numbers from this calculator: https://torcommunity.com/guides/companions#calculatorthe cheapest approach to levelling up a companion from 1 - 50 would cost 3,466,600 credits. This consists of buying over 6500 gifts (Rank 1 Gifts for 1 - 40, then Rank 5 for 40 - 50). One would go comatose from the tedium of buying and giving of that many gifts, unless you can find a method of automating the process. Edited by Rooksx

So much better to just buy the compendium and the dark projects and be done with it. You can sometimes find the dark project components relatively cheap in the GTN and make the final Dark Projects yourself too.

I dont care that it costs another million or so. It's approximately infinitely less silly.

Instead of giving those 10k cred gifts to your comp, to make the difference you could also instead just walk 50 feet to the GTN and sell them to people for 14k each, the current going price on Star Forge. 40% profit, little work. Capitalize on people's laziness.

Edited by stoopicus

Given the CC to credit conversion rate these days, this is a terrible idea (unless you buy them for CC, sell them for credits, then use the credits to buy far more instant rank 50 tokens from the vendor).

For the CC of the three pack of instant rank 50s you could buy CM items, sell on the GTN, and make enough credits to buy a dozen (or more) instant rank 50s from the Fleet vendor, even if you had to buy the Dark Projects

Yes, you 'could' if you're concerned about saving or accumulating imaginary 'credits', but if you're a subscriber, you can just buy the Compendium(s) with your monthly CC grant (or two) and get on with playing the game. 🙂

EDIT: 900CC each, 1890CC for 3-pack.

Yeah you'd be better off buying something else for those CC and sell it on the GTN. 1500 CC will get you a black dye which tend to sell for 50M credits or more. Just a bit more for 2000 CC will get you a master's datacron which goes for 80-100M.

I'd say you can buy more than 3 of those compendiums in game than from the CM directly with those credits. Imaginary credits do buy compendiums and you can continue on with the game just the same...just with a lot more companions at 50

Edited by Tsillah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.