Do you think mega guilds are good for the game?

Baletraeger

I define mega guilds as any guild that expands past a single guild in size (accepting a 2nd guild on opposite faction). These guilds have players in the hundreds to thousands. The earliest example of this I can recall would be Blood Bath and Beyond on the Harbringer, spanning at least 5 guilds at one point

What purpose do mega guilds serve?

For Conquest? Is having one or two mega guilds who dominate the Leaderboards, with players joining to get their achievements? Is this even the spirit of what the Devs wanted Conquest to be? Should the devs take a serious look at what the goal of a Guild Conquest system is, and whether the current system creates the desired player behaviour?

A replacement for a server community? Instead of dealing with toxic general chat, you have a 'smaller' community of a couple hundred players to group with for activities? Does this kind of isolation help the server community? Is it solving a problem that the devs could address better with social systems, such as a more expansive LFG system?

Roleplaying guilds? Having multiple guilds set up to represent different divisions of a guild I see as a perfect use, but is maybe better termed as 'multi-guild'

New player guilds? These guilds will advertise on starter planets and get new and low level players onboard with the goal of benefitting from Conquest rewards, while on return providing some helpful guild bonuses to these new players. There isn't any social aspects to these guilds, so it caters to lone wolves and shy players alike. Is there anything wrong with this kind of guild/mega guild?

Can you think of any other reasons for mega guilds you know of or are on? Do you think they are good for the game?

it depends on what kind of guild these mega guilds are

if they are the kind of guilds that force players to do conquest and kicking them out if they dont meet the 50k yes they are bad for the game

however if they are the kind of guild that became a mega guild by accepting players who play certain content and support all in their way of playing without forcing them into doing something they dont enjoy then yes they are good for the game

I think the OP is making a grand assumption conflating size with toxicity. A guild of eight unholy hellions can kick up an awful lot of toxic dust.

I never wrote anything about mega guilds being toxic. The only place note toxicity is in genchat, and mega guilds being a way to avoid it.