SWTOR collectors edition missing steelbook.

iliketoplayWoW

I recently purchased an unopened SWTOR collectors edition off eBay. I got it today, and it was as described unopened. To my surprise, the CD steelbook, which includes the collector's edition code, was missing! I did some research, and there are multiple posts on the forums of this **** happening. Very disappointing, but it is what it is. I am just warning people out there who are trying to get the digital upgrade code.

I know for sure that I was not scammed by the seller it all of the dirty *** tape from 2011 was still on the box and uncut. Darth Malgus, the artbook, and the soundtrack were still sealed as well.

Here are reports of the issue

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=389215

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=37229

The collector's edition came from Best Buy in 2011 if that makes any difference.

Edited by iliketoplayWoW

I recently purchased an unopened SWTOR collectors edition off eBay. I got it today, and it was as described unopened. To my surprise, the CD steelbook, which includes the collector's edition code, was missing! I did some research, and there are multiple posts on the forums of this **** happening. Very disappointing, but it is what it is. I am just warning people out there who are trying to get the digital upgrade code.

I know for sure that I was not scammed by the seller it all of the dirty *** tape from 2011 was still on the box and uncut. Darth Malgus and the art book were still sealed as well.

The collector's edition came from Best Buy in 2011 if that makes any difference.

Is it possible that they some how steamed the tape off, took out the key, then just glued it back?

Is it possible that they some how steamed the tape off, took out the key, then just glued it back?

I doubt it the person was extremely helpful and shipped it very quickly. I don't think someone would go to those lengths to scam someone. The guy wasn't even a gamer he was an older man who just collected star wars items. Even then if someone was just trying to get the code wouldn't they just use the code and leave the steelbook in? And as I said before there are reports of this happening when the collector's edition launched back in 2011.

He also included 20 dollars in the package for me because the listing was an auction on eBay. I asked him 130 for it before someone bid 150 on the listing. I bought it for 152 so he ended up giving me the 20 in the package.

Edited by iliketoplayWoW

I doubt it the person was extremely helpful and shipped it very quickly. I don't think someone would go to those lengths to scam someone. The guy wasn't even a gamer he was an older man who just collected star wars items. Even then if someone was just trying to get the code wouldn't they just use the code and leave the steelbook in? And as I said before there are reports of this happening when the collector's edition launched back in 2011.

He also included 20 dollars in the package for me because the listing was an auction on eBay. I asked him 130 for it before someone bid 150 on the listing. I bought it for 152 so he ended up giving me the 20 in the package.

Scammers do go to all sorts of lengths actually and even if this person is not a scammer he may be the victim of one himself. In any case you bought in on Ebay so I don't expect BioWare to take any responsibility for it.

Sounds like maybe he got shafted the way the people in the threads were, unfortunately at this stage there is probably very little anyone can do.

I know for sure that I was not scammed by the seller it all of the dirty *** tape from 2011 was still on the box and uncut. Darth Malgus, the artbook, and the soundtrack were still sealed as well.

I got mine from ebay, thankfully intact. If I'd had seen these threads before it might have made mee think twice.

There was a thread here a while back, about making a online CE edition, basically all the online stuff, without the physicals stuff. This here is another good reason for it. It would help peoplelike this out.

I got mine from ebay, thankfully intact. If I'd had seen these threads before it might have made mee think twice.

There was a thread here a while back, about making a online CE edition, basically all the online stuff, without the physicals stuff. This here is another good reason for it. It would help peoplelike this out.

Im now looking for steelbooks on eBay but I doubt any of them have unused codes. There is the digital upgrade pack which gives you all the same items as the collectors edition except access to the vendor.

Edited by iliketoplayWoW

Im now looking for steelbooks on eBay but I doubt any of them have unused codes. There is the digital upgrade pack which gives you all the same items as the collectors edition except access to the vendor.

you don't get the mini mech either, which, is part of one of the achievments :(

I've bought code only 2-3 years ago from ebay. Asked guy that owned collectors edition. Month ago i decided to buy Collectors Edition with good condition with used codes (no more needed ye?). Two weeks ago arrived my CE with used codes and everything else never opened (Malgus, soundtrack, Journal).

I think You can easily find steelbook to Your collection but with no codes. Codes You will need to buy separately like I did long time ago. You can try to mail few sellers about unused codes (ask ppl with new swtor ce). I asked 3 guys, and second one reply he can sell code to me.

I feel so sorry for You, but SWTOR team probably won't help You. Especially it's not bought via swtor, and 9 years passed already.:(

The stuff from the vendor, although somewhat neglected, is one of the high points of the full CE, and would be one of the high points of a full digital-only CE upgrade.

True story:

For a while I used to buy and sell used video games at the local Sunday market. I typically sold most of the cheap ones for, if I recall, $5.00

One day, a person came along and told me there was another vendor who was selling 'brand new' shrink-wrapped games for only $4.99

He was carrying a couple of games he had just bought, so, after some discussion about the games being used I challenged him to open one up. The photo-copied instructions proved they were used.

Another thing: A friend that worked at a hi-fi retailer pointed out to me that the business would open a 'floor demo' from the bottom. Then after using it for a while, they could put it back in the box a seal up the bottom, and the box looked brand new to most customers.

They also used to keep the boxes from TV and stereos they had delivered/installed so they could use the empty boxes in piles of full boxes to make it look like they had more stock and were a 'bigger' store.

TL;DR Bottom line - just because something looks "unopened" doesn't mean it was.

P.S. As a result of the Sunday market thing, I bought a roll of shrink-wrap and a 'freezer bag' sealer, and wrapped my games as well. (I had a sign that said USED games.)

I also gave in and changed my price to $4.99 because it does actually work that it simply feels like so much less than $5.00

(It was quite long ago now, so I'm not sure on the exact prices, except that it was .99 vs .00)

Edited by JediQuaker