CM Item to Make Older, Bound Item Legacy-Bound Instead

arunav

This may or may not be complicated to implement.

But: I thought something that would be welcome by players for QoL and might sell well is a CM item that can be used at a modification station to make a regular, bound item into a bound-to-Legacy item.

The need for this has grown from item drops from the vanilla SWTOR game becoming incredibly rare or non-existent, as leveling has become so fast. In other cases, items have been removed from vendors or the loot table generally, even though they consisted of really basic SWTOR gear, i.e. nothing that would take away from your CM sales.

The convert-to-legacy bound item could be limited to whatever pool of drops or items you, BW, approved of. So, for example, if you didn't want a bound Centurion chest from 1.0 to work, or a rare Operation drop, it wouldn't qualify, similar to how only certain weapons have tuning slots currently. On the other hand, if a vanilla lightsaber hilt that is hard to find on the GTN nowadays is fine, players could convert their bound hilt to be available to their whole legacy for a CC cost.

This solves the problem of really basic, common items from SWTOR's original leveling game becoming next to or impossible to get as drops now or find on the GTN. It also allows players to convert certain leveling armor sets that were taken out of the game to legacy bound items for future characters or current alts.

In general, players will still want to purchase new CM items, because that's how we're wired, especially if CM armors or weapons or mounts or whatever continue to be well-designed. This just gives us the option to use classic SWTOR leveling gear on new characters or alts that didn't get a chance to pick them up.

The idea also fits the 6.0 model of all drops being bound to legacy for convenience.

Truthfully, I would think that this system could be implemented for credits instead of CCs. But we as players acknowledge something is much more likely to happen if it's tied to CC sales or micro-transactions generally.

Thanks for reading and considering the idea.

Edited by arunav

But: I thought something that would be welcome by players for QoL and might sell well is a CM item that can be used at a modification station to make a regular, bound item into a bound-to-Legacy item.

The need for this has grown from item drops from the vanilla SWTOR game becoming incredibly rare or non-existent, as leveling has become so fast. In other cases, items have been removed from vendors or the loot table generally, even though they consisted of really basic SWTOR gear, i.e. nothing that would take away from your CM sales.

The convert-to-legacy bound item could be limited to whatever pool of drops or items you, BW, approved of. So, for example, if you didn't want a bound Centurion chest from 1.0 to work, or a rare Operation drop, it wouldn't qualify, similar to how only certain weapons have tuning slots currently. On the other hand, if a vanilla lightsaber hilt that is hard to find on the GTN nowadays is fine, players could convert their bound hilt to be available to their whole legacy for a CC cost.

This solves the problem of really basic, common items from SWTOR's original leveling game becoming next to or impossible to get as drops now or find on the GTN. It also allows players to convert certain leveling armor sets that were taken out of the game to legacy bound items for future characters or current alts.

In general, players will still want to purchase new CM items, because that's how we're wired, especially if CM armors or weapons or mounts or whatever continue to be well-designed. This just gives us the option to use classic SWTOR leveling gear on new characters or alts that didn't get a chance to pick them up.

The idea also fits the 6.0 model of all drops being bound to legacy for convenience.

Truthfully, I would think that this system could be implemented for credits instead of CCs. But we as players acknowledge something is much more likely to happen if it's tied to CC sales or micro-transactions generally.

Thanks for reading and considering the idea.

^ +1 MEGA SIGNED AND MEGA SUPPORTED - 1st Mega, congrats, that's how much I'd use this. Mates & I would sooooooo spend whatever to buy this, especially for our old named weapons and armors in 1.0~ Older players should be compensated, considering all our old stuff came back in Legacy form and not BoP like older stuff, which isn't fair....

This works.

Edited by Willjb

• 2 weeks later...

That depends on how the item data is structured, and in particular whether the bind type (note: not the bind status, but the kind of binding the item does: Bind-on-Equip, Bind-on-Pickup, Bind-to-Legacy-on-Pickup, does-not-bind) is (a) part of the specific item in your inventory / your character sheet, (b) part of the item schema that your copy of the item references(1), or © something else entirely

If the item itself doesn't store the bind type, it will be harder to implement than if it does.

I have no opinion either way on the suggestion itself. EDIT except as noted in my other post - the suggestion doesn't allow people who never had one (and maybe weren't even playing back then) to get one.

(1) That is, in your character sheet or your inventory, you have an item - what it stores there is "You have an Item 427-BE-23, and it is bound and 3% damaged and it contains modifications 47-B, 6-55-E and 87-TX". The bind type might be stored in there as well, or it might be stored in the general description of 427-BE-23.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

+1 from me too. I was just thinking about this the other day when I found a chestpiece on one of my old characters that's impossible to get now.

Surely a better solution to that problem is to add new ways of getting the old items, which would also make it so that new people who never had one back in the day can get it as well...

Surely a better solution to that problem is to add new ways of getting the old items, which would also make it so that new people who never had one back in the day can get it as well...

That would work too. There is already that one vendor on the fleet that sells some of the really old armor shells, so they could just add more to that one.

That would work too. There is already that one vendor on the fleet that sells some of the really old armor shells, so they could just add more to that one.

This would definately be a better option, they get enough cc's from the CM, these items, are stuff we've had before, so they should come from a vendor, for credits, rather then CC's

This would definately be a better option, they get enough cc's from the CM, these items, are stuff we've had before, so they should come from a vendor, for credits, rather then CC's

For sure, in-game for credits, not CCs. I would never advocate making old in-game resources available for CCs.

I would be for this, but there's no way BW is adding back in all the items they've removed over the years. Some is just regular leveling gear and drops (much of what was removed with 4.0), and the rest is all manner of things only available in each era of the game, 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, etc.

While I would be all for vendors that added back items, in some cases, there's just no way for BW to predict what players would want to use as legacy bound.

So, both would be ideal. Add back items, and let players use a CM or in-game item to convert character bound items to legacy bound.

Edited by arunav

I'm just suggesting what is realistic. If BW is going to implement a new system, it's much more likely to happen if micro-transactions are involved.

Like outfit designer, however, an option can be given to use credits or CCs. This is already addressed in the OP.

For sure, in-game for credits, not CCs. I would never advocate making old in-game resources available for CCs.

Better they stay unobtainable/stuck on unwanted characters then? :S

I'm all for this idea. Being able to transfer my favourite sets over to the characters I'd like to use them on, rather than just my old raiding toon, would be fantastic.

New systems typically are either credits or CCs, with the latter not really being needed.

Also, for a very long time, CM armors were various re-skins of armor that was in the game at launch or shortly afterwards. Only in more recent years do we see completely original designs.