Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The Unofficial Appearance Customization Thread

magnuskn

It seems like spending your time generating usable loot or credits instead of another alt might be a better way to provide for your characters. By all means, play how you like but, your complaint seems to be that the things you want are too expensive so it would seem that focusing on earning more would be the better fix.

I wanted a full suit of the new orange gear on the Legacy vendor for my Trooper. The cost was 1.2 million. I had 30k to my name. So, I spent a few hours a day over four days to do the level 50 dailies on Ilum, Belsavis, and the Black Hole. In that time, I made the 1.2 million and then some.

It's not hard to make credits in this game.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They must have something against people dressing characters as they wish. I suppose they might take offense at a female BH dressed in slave girl wear. I would sooo wear that on my BH!

Not only should there be an appearace tab for characters, but for companions as well...with an option to hide the head slot, and match their chest too.

I wanted a full suit of the new orange gear on the Legacy vendor for my Trooper. The cost was 1.2 million. I had 30k to my name. So, I spent a few hours a day over four days to do the level 50 dailies on Ilum, Belsavis, and the Black Hole. In that time, I made the 1.2 million and then some.

It's not hard to make credits in this game.

It's not difficult. It's just really boring.

It's not difficult. It's just really boring.

That it is. My eyes and mind are bleeding... Although, I do have to say that the Black Hole dailies are at least more repeatable than any other daily in any other MMO I've played. If BioWare can do a more intense mini-game type of daily like "Eyes and Ears" in the Black Hole, they'd be set.

I'd love doing dailies at that point. Or a pazaak table daily! Ooooooh.... I'd never leave.....

They must have something against people dressing characters as they wish. I suppose they might take offense at a female BH dressed in slave girl wear. I would sooo wear that on my BH!

Not only should there be an appearace tab for characters, but for companions as well...with an option to hide the head slot, and match their chest too.

Not really. I have two 50s that have several wardrobes, all of which are dressing as they please.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting quote for those keeping saying mods > apperance tabs for crafters:

THIS IS COMPLETELY TRUE FOR ME!

Well, at least the first part :) I have bought a few outfits from crafters because I liked the look of the piece, so some crafters benefitted from me at least.

But I have never even used those outfits because the cost is too much to switch my mods.

All these MMO robots keep telling me how easy it is to make credits in this game but I'm just not one of them. I don't raid, I get bored of repeating the same daily missions again & again & again & again & on top of that I not very good at saving the credits that I do make cause I'm an impulsive shopper. I've got tons of really nice looking orange gear & when I can I buy brand new upgraded mods to replace the low level mods in them cause it's cheaper to do that once than to pay to switch around a couple of sets of mods between a few dozen outfits...man I really wish we just had an appearance tab so that I could spend my credits on other things that I'd like to buy, like some of those really cool Legacy perks.

It was a bit easier to make credits back in the day when most of my guild was still playing, but now pretty much everyone's taking a break just waiting to find out what's going to happen with server transfers, so I've got hardly anyone to run teams with on WarZones or do Heroics or whatever....I'm not even interested in that fantasy crap D3/GW2/Tera so I'm just not really doing much gaming at all lately. It's pretty sad.

30% lower cost to remove mods is a nice bone to throw my way, but I'm not all that happy with it. Like SpazCats said, we're basically playing dress-up with all this mod removal business, more so when social gear becomes adaptive, so what's the point in having this huge credit sink tied to it?

My favorite part of the game right now? Level 1-49 WarZones! I've got a level 48 Powertech that I refuse to level up any further just so I can play in the WarZones & I'm happier there than anywhere else in the game cause it's the only time in the game that I can pretty much wear whatever I want & still be competitive. I was so bloody happy when BioWare finally fixed colormatch all the way. :D

All these MMO robots keep telling me how easy it is to make credits in this game but I'm just not one of them. I don't raid, I get bored of repeating the same daily missions again & again & again & again & on top of that I not very good at saving the credits that I do make cause I'm an impulsive shopper. I've got tons of really nice looking orange gear & when I can I buy brand new upgraded mods to replace the low level mods in them cause it's cheaper to do that once than to pay to switch around a couple of sets of mods between a few dozen outfits...man I really wish we just had an appearance tab so that I could spend my credits on other things that I'd like to buy, like some of those really cool Legacy perks.

It was a bit easier to make credits back in the day when most of my guild was still playing, but now pretty much everyone's taking a break just waiting to find out what's going to happen with server transfers, so I've got hardly anyone to run teams with on WarZones or do Heroics or whatever....I'm not even interested in that fantasy crap D3/GW2/Tera so I'm just not really doing much gaming at all lately. It's pretty sad.

30% lower cost to remove mods is a nice bone to throw my way, but I'm not all that happy with it. Like SpazCats said, we're basically playing dress-up with all this mod removal business, more so when social gear becomes adaptive, so what's the point in having this huge credit sink tied to it?

My favorite part of the game right now? Level 1-49 WarZones! I've got a level 48 Powertech that I refuse to level up any further just so I can play in the WarZones & I'm happier there than anywhere else in the game cause it's the only time in the game that I can pretty much wear whatever I want & still be competitive. I was so bloody happy when BioWare finally fixed colormatch all the way. :D

If you aren't taking part in the money making activities that require optimal stats, why are you bothering to upgrade the stats on your orange gear to optimal? From reading your post, it seems like you could wear pretty much anything you like stawise.

If you aren't taking part in the money making activities that require optimal stats, why are you bothering to upgrade the stats on your orange gear to optimal? From reading your post, it seems like you could wear pretty much anything you like stawise.

I do like level 50 War Zone PVP & would like to dress how I wanted to there & not wear a uniform like everyone else that's a Bounty Hunter, can't do that cause I'd lose the set bonuses on my battlemaster gear. Adaptive Social gear changes nothing at all for me here cause once again, battlemaster set bonuses...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So 3rd iteration and yet the system is still not as good nor convenient as appearance tabs.

What a waste of time and unwisely spend money.

I actually prefer this moddable-gear system BioWare has come up with, rather than a pure cosmetic-gear tab. It just makes better sense.

I'm still wondering how it will all ultimately play out, though. The core problem I see is the plug-ugly designs on some high-end armor sets (*cough* Consular Rakata gear *cough*) coupled with the not-much-better looks of much of the other stuff (*cough* Consular gear in general *cough*). Doesn't do much good being able to pull mods out of one awful-looking set if no other available shell looks better.

On the Republic side, I'd grade the general looks of the various classes as follows:

1. Trooper: A-minus. Generally, Trooper gear looks excellent, although it gets a slight downgrade for the Columi/Tionese headgear. Makes my Commando look like a Thum-Thum from the movie, "Spy Kids." After enjoying my crafted Electrum helmet for so many levels, it's a great disappointment that I can't transfer the set bonus from his new Columi helmet.

2. Jedi Knight: B-plus. Generally, the Knight's gear is pretty good, although my daughter complains that it all looks like it caters to male characters. She bitterly resented giving up the chest piece she'd earned from bartering Tython Commendations. She wants to go with an Aayla Sekura-style wardrobe for her Twi'lek Knight, but all she gets is Obi-Wan Kenobi robes. So, something in Guardian armor for girls, please.

3. Smuggler: C-minus. When I think "smuggler," I think "swashbuckler." Unfortunately, the vast bulk of this class' gear makes me think, "mad scientist." What is it with the huge thickly-padded lapels, anyway? Thank the Maker I came up with schematics for the Drelliad Jacket and Drelliad Pants. At least my green-skinned Twi'lek Scoundrel can look somewhat dashing. And I've seen other Smugglers with the PvP "Spider" set -- that one looks pretty good, too. And then, of course, there's the space-cowboy look of the high-end set. Those three sets save this class's grade from sliding to "F." But because EVERYONE is wearing that space-cowboy set, the lift only earns the designers a C-minus. More swashbuckler, less mad scientist, please.

4. Consular: F. I never thought I'd see a more gawdawful-looking armor set than the wretched "Giantstalker" set for Hunters from World of Warcraft. But by golly, SWTOR's design crew managed to pull it off with the Consular's Rakata gearset. Every time I look at this set in the in-game Dressing Room, it makes my Shadow look like a demented Christmas Tree angel. And almost all the other Consular pieces suffer this malaise to an only slightly-smaller extent. And Shadows are just plain screwed. Tthere's not a single moddable gear set in the ENTIRE GAME that I've seen that makes a Shadow look like a Shadow. Closest approximation is the House Thul social set from Alderaan, but that's an enemy House. But hey, at least it has pants, and the chestpiece doesn't have a dangling piece hanging down entangling itself with the pants.

In general, Consular gear suffers the reverse of the problem that affects Knight gear: it all looks like it's been designed for female characters, save for the ONE pair of Consular pants in the game: the Alderaan Commendation-vendor piece. In fact, all the Consular gear looks like it was stolen from Queen Amidala's wardrobe. Theoretically, Consulars should have the benefit of being able to use all the social armors in the game -- but seriously? Almost all of it, save the afore-mentioned House Thul set, looks like some variation on a space suit.

Shadows need to look like they're dressed to blend into the shadows -- NOT to stand out like a lawn ornament! And Sages need to look dignified and somewhat understated, as befits their Jedi philosophy -- NOT like they're playing dress-up with their sister's Queen Of Naboo set.

Here's how I would approach Consular gear:

1. Planetary Themes:

• Tython: Padawan robes. Traditional white color, with black lapels.
  • Coruscant: Something a bit more urbane-looking, perhaps in a solid tawny color, with a hooded cloak. Maybe available in a range of colors (including black) to add variety to the player base.
  • Taris: Medium-green/tan camo-patterned hooded cloak and jerkin and pants, with lightweight boots with lace-up waterproof leggings suitable for the toxin-laced watery environment.
  • Tatooine: A full-body, light-sand colored, loose-fitting billowing linen robe with hood designed to shield the character from the sun and protect from blowing sand, with traditional Jedi garments underneath.
  • Alderaan: A. Ceremonial Jedi Robes. This set could be awarded for services rendered to House Organa, and be wrought in a stylized color scheme reminiscent of the Organa color scheme, light blue on white/silver, with a complementing sash running diagonally across the chest. B: Field camouflage set, done in a pattern of forest green-and-white, to help the Shadow blend into the mixed subalpine terrain of this beautiful world.
  • Balmorra: A predominantly prairie-grass green/brown outfit with dark-brown hooded cloak. Outfit features strategically-designed light armor pieces to denote Balmorra's prowess as a source of top-quality military gear.
  • Quesh: Light HazMat protection: breath mask, rubberized gloves and boots, synthetic fabrics with sealed joints. Cloak replaced by an emergency air-supply system.
  • Hoth: Winter Camo/Thermal gear. All-white gear, thickly-insulated, with facial covering to protect from the bitterly-cold winds of Hoth.
  • Belsavis: Full-body jumpsuit with tall lace-up boots, form-fitting jacket, and bombardier-style cold-weather headgear, all done in a jungle-camo pattern.
  • Corellia: Honorary Green Jedi robes.
  • Ilum: White/blue camo pattern with white "motorcycle helmet" style headgear and thick mukluk-style wampa-hide boots to help spread the weight of the character over crusted snowfields and muffle the sound of crunching snow.

Biggest thing to remember: PANTS!

Second-biggest thing: ditch the wierdness with the headpieces. Large, flat surfaces = wind resistance and bulk and a high "Look At Me, I'm An Idiot" factor. NOT good for either blending into a crowd or for the acrobatic combat moves of a typical Shadow.

Edited by Spectus

I actually prefer this moddable-gear system BioWare has come up with, rather than a pure cosmetic-gear tab. It just makes better sense.

I'm still wondering how it will all ultimately play out, though. The core problem I see is the plug-ugly designs on some high-end armor sets (*cough* Consular Rakata gear *cough*) coupled with the not-much-better looks of much of the other stuff (*cough* Consular gear in general *cough*). Doesn't do much good being able to pull mods out of one awful-looking set if no other available shell looks better.

On the Republic side, I'd grade the general looks of the various classes as follows:

1. Trooper: A-minus. Generally, Trooper gear looks excellent, although it gets a slight downgrade for the Columi/Tionese headgear. Makes my Commando look like a Thum-Thum from the movie, "Spy Kids." After enjoying my crafted Electrum helmet for so many levels, it's a great disappointment that I can't transfer the set bonus from his new Columi helmet.

2. Jedi Knight: B-plus. Generally, the Knight's gear is pretty good, although my daughter complains that it all looks like it caters to male characters. She bitterly resented giving up the chest piece she'd earned from bartering Tython Commendations. She wants to go with an Aayla Sekura-style wardrobe for her Twi'lek Knight, but all she gets is Obi-Wan Kenobi robes. So, something in Guardian armor for girls, please.

3. Smuggler: C-minus. When I think "smuggler," I think "swashbuckler." Unfortunately, the vast bulk of this class' gear makes me think, "mad scientist." What is it with the huge thickly-padded lapels, anyway? Thank the Maker I came up with schematics for the Drelliad Jacket and Drelliad Pants. At least my green-skinned Twi'lek Scoundrel can look somewhat dashing. And I've seen other Smugglers with the PvP "Spider" set -- that one looks pretty good, too. And then, of course, there's the space-cowboy look of the high-end set. Those three sets save this class's grade from sliding to "F." But because EVERYONE is wearing that space-cowboy set, the lift only earns the designers a C-minus. More swashbuckler, less mad scientist, please.

4. Consular: F. I never thought I'd see a more gawdawful-looking armor set than the wretched "Giantstalker" set for Hunters from World of Warcraft. But by golly, SWTOR's design crew managed to pull it off with the Consular's Rakata gearset. Every time I look at this set in the in-game Dressing Room, it makes my Shadow look like a demented Christmas Tree angel. And almost all the other Consular pieces suffer this malaise to an only slightly-smaller extent. And Shadows are just plain screwed. Tthere's not a single moddable gear set in the ENTIRE GAME that I've seen that makes a Shadow look like a Shadow. Closest approximation is the House Thul social set from Alderaan, but that's an enemy House. But hey, at least it has pants, and the chestpiece doesn't have a dangling piece hanging down entangling itself with the pants.

In general, Consular gear suffers the reverse of the problem that affects Knight gear: it all looks like it's been designed for female characters, save for the ONE pair of Consular pants in the game: the Alderaan Commendation-vendor piece. In fact, all the Consular gear looks like it was stolen from Queen Amidala's wardrobe. Theoretically, Consulars should have the benefit of being able to use all the social armors in the game -- but seriously? Almost all of it, save the afore-mentioned House Thul set, looks like some variation on a space suit.

Shadows need to look like they're dressed to blend into the shadows -- NOT to stand out like a lawn ornament! And Sages need to look dignified and somewhat understated, as befits their Jedi philosophy -- NOT like they're playing dress-up with their sister's Queen Of Naboo set.

Here's how I would approach Consular gear:

1. Planetary Themes:

• Tython: Padawan robes. Traditional white color, with black lapels.
  • Coruscant: Something a bit more urbane-looking, perhaps in a solid tawny color, with a hooded cloak. Maybe available in a range of colors (including black) to add variety to the player base.
  • Taris: Medium-green/tan camo-patterned hooded cloak and jerkin and pants, with lightweight boots with lace-up waterproof leggings suitable for the toxin-laced watery environment.
  • Tatooine: A full-body, light-sand colored, loose-fitting billowing linen robe with hood designed to shield the character from the sun and protect from blowing sand, with traditional Jedi garments underneath.
  • Alderaan: A. Ceremonial Jedi Robes. This set could be awarded for services rendered to House Organa, and be wrought in a stylized color scheme reminiscent of the Organa color scheme, light blue on white/silver, with a complementing sash running diagonally across the chest. B: Field camouflage set, done in a pattern of forest green-and-white, to help the Shadow blend into the mixed subalpine terrain of this beautiful world.
  • Balmorra: A predominantly prairie-grass green/brown outfit with dark-brown hooded cloak. Outfit features strategically-designed light armor pieces to denote Balmorra's prowess as a source of top-quality military gear.
  • Quesh: Light HazMat protection: breath mask, rubberized gloves and boots, synthetic fabrics with sealed joints. Cloak replaced by an emergency air-supply system.
  • Hoth: Winter Camo/Thermal gear. All-white gear, thickly-insulated, with facial covering to protect from the bitterly-cold winds of Hoth.
  • Belsavis: Full-body jumpsuit with tall lace-up boots, form-fitting jacket, and bombardier-style cold-weather headgear, all done in a jungle-camo pattern.
  • Corellia: Honorary Green Jedi robes.
  • Ilum: White/blue camo pattern with white "motorcycle helmet" style headgear and thick mukluk-style wampa-hide boots to help spread the weight of the character over crusted snowfields and muffle the sound of crunching snow.

Biggest thing to remember: PANTS!

Second-biggest thing: ditch the wierdness with the headpieces. Large, flat surfaces = wind resistance and bulk and a high "Look At Me, I'm An Idiot" factor. NOT good for either blending into a crowd or for the acrobatic combat moves of a typical Shadow.

Funny but even how much you say liking the mod system your post points at how this system doesn't answer your needs while the a-tab would ;)

Funny but even how much you say liking the mod system your post points at how this system doesn't answer your needs while the a-tab would ;)

You can have the current system AND appearance tab. They could completely work together.

It doesn't matter how many patch they'll do on orange gear, it will NEVER be enough for customization, and appearance tab will always be a better solution. The whole system is flawed from the beginning.

Less choices, money sink....

I think BW will listen to our suggestion in 1 year or so, and someone from their staff will present the whole patch as something completely new, while being excited just like it's something revolutionary.

I defintely empathize with the availability of consular pants but, have long accepted that what many see has limitations are also intended visual guides for each role. Just like the Sith tend toward blacks and reds, consulars are meant to be in robes not pants.

Certainly it chaffes some number of the players but, ultimately the A-tab argument is always going to boil down to bringing a "solution" to an intended "feature". Until more people are seeking to solve the "problem" of the game's visual style, judging A-tabs as a better method of attaining unagreed upon goals that the current system is not designed to address will be a sort of hollow criticism.

I defintely empathize with the availability of consular pants but, have long accepted that what many see has limitations are also intended visual guides for each role. Just like the Sith tend toward blacks and reds, consulars are meant to be in robes not pants.

Certainly it chaffes some number of the players but, ultimately the A-tab argument is always going to boil down to bringing a "solution" to an intended "feature". Until more people are seeking to solve the "problem" of the game's visual style, judging A-tabs as a better method of attaining unagreed upon goals that the current system is not designed to address will be a sort of hollow criticism.

This game need both. Compare SWTOR to LOTRO or EQ2, and you'll see the customization in SWTOR is a joke. There is around 10 different armor skin per class, and no A tab. And yet, I'm counting a minor change in color as a different skin.

This is beyond ridiculous.

/supported. I've been asking since beta for more male body options and visual options. Every race has the same faces, same hairs and so on. Armors are the same five per class with different colours. Appearance in this game is one of the major lack.

I can't agree more.

I'm fine without the appearance tab, but can we PLEASE get some consular gear that doesn't make us look like cross-dressers?

Even our 'Legacy 20' armor set looks like the Elegant Dress social set, i mean come on armor makers, give us some love!

I like the custom gear modding system that SWTOR currently uses. It is original and is one of the things that sets the game apart from others in its genre. It isn't perfect but it has improved with every patch. They need to do the following to make the system more viable though:

1. Reduce or eliminate the cost of removing mods

2. Add more variety orange gear to wear, especially modable belts and bracers

3. Add a dye system which would allow players specify a piece of gear's primary, secondary, and maybe tertiary colors( If there is a tertiary color in their color match system)

4. Add the ability to have hoods up or down

5. Add a zoom feature to the dressing room

6. Add the ability for color matching and dying to companion gear as well as showing head slots and hoods up or down

7. Add modable off hands for all classes, not just dual wielding classes

Hide specific gear slots other than head. Not difficult or new technology, in fact a F2P game has done this for years

Runes of Magic?

Only problem is the number of people that end up running around completely undressed... and at least at one point it became practically required to hide everything if you wanted to participate in raids, as people claimed it helped their frame rates. I'd be inclined to argue top/bottoms shouldn't be hideable. Fine by me if every other slot is.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.