The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Unofficial Appearance Customization Thread

magnuskn

Now if they will just create an appearance tab. I was running around searching armor venders and loved a few of the white items they were selling (vender trash).

Create an appearance tab or make all gear orange so we can use any model we want please.

It's already been stated that ALL green gear has an orange version. It's also known that ALL white gear is repeated in greens. Thus, by extension, if there's a look you like, find the orange version.

It's not that hard to grasp, really.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appearance customization is something that should have been done before the game was released. It is something many, many players want and sometimes even expect in a game, and to not see it in a new MMO is rather saddening. I fully support this thread in the hopes that it will open Bio-Ware's eyes and lead them to take it seriously as a chief objective. The game is already disappointing in the eyes of many who enjoy RP or RP friendly environments.

As another note: while I do appreciate the little they did for appearance in 1.2, it's simply not enough. To make an MMO better than others, it is smart to learn from the others and adopt what made those bright. I feel a system much like ones Turbine uses would do well to please a majority of people hunting for this.

As another note: while I do appreciate the little they did for appearance in 1.2, it's simply not enough. To make an MMO better than others, it is smart to learn from the others and adopt what made those bright. I feel a system much like ones Turbine uses would do well to please a majority of people hunting for this.

How is it not enough?! Any look you want in the entire game you can wear without taking ANY hits to stats. At all.

How the heck is that NOT enough??

And, as for your other post, do you realize that almost not a single AAA MMO has EVER released with ANY kind of appearance customization? Not even RIFT. However, TOR did launch with quite a bit of appearance customization, and it will be fully inclusive come 1.2.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

No. Set bonuses on existing gear will not be transferable to orange gear. They've said so. So no, customization is not done, they are screwing over people who have current sets and, if they want to customize, making them re-farm the new 1.2 version equivalent piece just so they can transfer the set bonus.

That's lazy and a fail.

How is it not enough?! Any look you want in the entire game you can wear without taking ANY hits to stats. At all.

How the heck is that NOT enough??

And, as for your other post, do you realize that almost not a single AAA MMO has EVER released with ANY kind of appearance customization? Not even RIFT. However, TOR did launch with quite a bit of appearance customization, and it will be fully inclusive come 1.2.

Oh, sorry, I was unaware that because something has not been done it the past it should not be done at all. The point is that in a new MMO it -SHOULD- be done. And by the way, it was done in LOTRO to an extent.

And what exactly are you talking about in the first place? I was referring to the color mashing, not the idea of an appearance tab. I fully support the idea of an appearance tab. So please do elaborate on why you're flipping like so.

Edit: What appearance customization did they come out with, exactly? The meager selection at the character screen? Is that supposed to impress?

Edited by Antares_Navaar

Orange gear should be the best in the game. I finally found consular gear I can stomach. I like it better than anything else I've seen. The orange I have seems to be difficult to find because I've never seen another player with it. The end game gear looks so bad I don't even want it. So now it won't have the augment??? I'm back to square one??? Jeesh, I think 40+ orange gear should be grandfathered with an the new augment slot. I don't even want end game gear unless it looks good and it's orange. Can anyone verify that the 1.2 patch will add the augment to all orange gear? Please tell me so....:mad: Edited by Innocences

Oh, sorry, I was unaware that because something has not been done it the past it should not be done at all. The point is that in a new MMO it -SHOULD- be done. And by the way, it was done in LOTRO to an extent.

And what exactly are you talking about in the first place? I was referring to the color mashing, not the idea of an appearance tab. I fully support the idea of an appearance tab. So please do elaborate on why you're flipping like so.

Edit: What appearance customization did they come out with, exactly? The meager selection at the character screen? Is that supposed to impress?

Nope, orange gear. TOR launched with EVERY SINGLE green item having an orange version. While you were leveling, if you got something you liked, there was an orange version of that piece you could use to adopt that look clear to endgame.

For 1.2, they're allowing set bonuses, raid gear, and purples to be fully moddable and transferable to orange gear. That means ANY look in game can be achieved with ZERO side effect.

Basically, an a-tab, but better.

Yes, it was done in LOTRO. But not at launch.

As for the color-matching, yeah, it was in during beta, but was removed, much to my chagrin... Glad it's coming back!

Finally, if it seems I'm "flipping out", I'm really not. ;)

No. Set bonuses on existing gear will not be transferable to orange gear. They've said so. So no, customization is not done, they are screwing over people who have current sets and, if they want to customize, making them re-farm the new 1.2 version equivalent piece just so they can transfer the set bonus.

That's lazy and a fail.

100% agree! At least 30+ gear should be grandfathered.

Nope, orange gear. TOR launched with EVERY SINGLE green item having an orange version. While you were leveling, if you got something you liked, there was an orange version of that piece you could use to adopt that look clear to endgame.

For 1.2, they're allowing set bonuses, raid gear, and purples to be fully moddable and transferable to orange gear. That means ANY look in game can be achieved with ZERO side effect.

a) Just because an item exists in the database, does not mean it is obtainable in the live game. So no, there are NOT orange versions available of every green item. Simply wrong.

b) You're not reading. See my previous post, and use the dev tracker. Again, simply incorrect.

a) Just because an item exists in the database, does not mean it is obtainable in the live game. So no, there are NOT orange versions available of every green item. Simply wrong.

b) You're not reading. See my previous post, and use the dev tracker. Again, simply incorrect.

Oh, so you have to repeat a little work to achieve ANY look in game that you want, not to mention a bunch of new looks coming for orange gear. Find a crafter to crit an orange for you. Why? Because crafters have an orange version of ALL green items in the game (see below), and will soon be able to make fully moddable purple gear, complete with augment slots.

Also, there ARE orange versions of EVERY green item currently in the game:

Orange versions of ALL green armors was created and given to the crafters.

From here.

A little work? Really? That's just ignorance.

And as for your quote, you DO realize that you are sourcing a dev from BETA.

Some clarifications on item modifications

Community News

lol... the fanboyism is strong with this one.

Edited by Polebreaker

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/17/1-2-new-armor-models/

I have to agree the Republic looks so bad and the Empire's ok. Man what a disappointment. I guess my current orange gear is going to have to be it and without an augment.

Break down Empire

Sorcerer PVE drop the corny metal twists and drop the 'Robbin' looking eye mask. For the PVP drop the spider web stuff off the shoulders. Revamp the jaw area of the mask and make it smooth and contour the jaw/face. Both are too fem with the loin cloth and replace it with a long robe leggings. These characters need standard robes. See below for explanation.

Warrior PvE looks good, but the PvP drop the spike shoulder pads.

Bounty Hunter PvE drop the shoulder pads and the tail. PvP looks good.

Agent PvE the helmet needs revamped and the butt box has to go. PvP revamp the helmet.

Break down Republic.

Sage PvE and PvP need to go back to the drawing board. A male consular or stage cannot wear that gear. It's just plain too fem and don't fit their character.

My recommendations for the Knight and Consular. They need robes plain and simple. With about 20-30% blacks mixed in with browns is my preference. They need to be simple, sleek and functional. Best to only layer robes or accent colors not design patterns like circles. I think both need to have a ninja feeling to them. Perhaps think of the ninja clothing in 'The last Samurai' Leather armor accented with engraved nickle metal shoulder guards, wrist and gloves. Very sleek and simple.

Knight PvE and PvP need to go back to the drawing board. PvE shoulder and arm guards are ok. THey both are just too fem and not in character.

Trooper PvE and PvP looks good to me.

Smuggler PvE revamp the head gear and remove the skirt/tail. PvP remove the side head lights on the head gear. Smuggler needs a hanker chief over the nose and a rimmed hat of some sort.

Please BW let me critic your gear as a consultant. I'm serious. I'm gifted with predicting consumer's likes and dislikes. I'm experienced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord_Karsk

Some really good things with 1.2 apart from the changes to killing ranged classes in pvp but

As a STAR WARS fan i'm happy i unsubbed when we see that bioware know nothing about making the game actual STAR WARS

Look at this.Just like previous gear at lvl 50 it all looks like nothing but garbage.

We wanted star wars and got to look like a joke by artists who have never seen the movies. So again TY for pushing away us

star wars fans who wanted nothing else then to live in the star wars universe.

Edited by Innocences

100% agree! At least 30+ gear should be grandfathered.

"Grandfathering" would mean leaving existing items as they are. That is the exact case here. Existing orange gear doesn't have augments and existing set-bonuses can't be removed. Nothing changes those items in 1.2. If we are being accurate, all pre-1.2 gear is being "grandfathered".

What's happening is that gear is being introduced that can be combined into a new, higher level of BIS gear and those with the current BIS gear feel they should become optimized to the new standard for little or no work in collecting the new better gear.

If they just introduced more powerful gear that looked different bought with the same currency and effort as before(which is effectively what they are doing), no one would have blinked an eye and would start grinding for that next, new tier

Any sort of trade-in or update process would represent wasted development time on a one-time convenience to a fraction of the players that only serves to help them avoid playing the game in order to earn a new higher level of optimization they feel they are entitled to automatically. I think their development efforts can be better spent in other more broadly used areas still.

Edited by Matte_Black

Basically, an a-tab, but better.

Yes, it was done in LOTRO. But not at launch.

As for the color-matching, yeah, it was in during beta, but was removed, much to my chagrin... Glad it's coming back!

Finally, if it seems I'm "flipping out", I'm really not. ;)

I usually tend to interpret "WHYUSAYDIS?!?!" As 'flipping out'. Is response, the orange gear just seems a tad annoying, really. I really would rather just be able to slap a random green I could wear into an appearance tab and let it show up. There's really nothing wrong with that concept, it's a very good one and should be applied.

Also, who says I want it at endgame? I'd mainly like my character to look as I want him to as I level up, why should I need to wait until I hit 50 and all that good stuff? The color coding I do not give enough credit. It will be a great thing, and I'm glad they put it in! However, I do feel like an appearance tab plus this would be in order, for that unfortunately ugly piece of equipment you pass by with stats too good to give up.

And also, I was in the mind that LOTRO /did/ have appearance options upon launch. I could be wrong, and will for the sake of this assume I am. However, why does that limit BioWare automatically?

Edited by Antares_Navaar

A little work? Really? That's just ignorance.

And as for your quote, you DO realize that you are sourcing a dev from BETA.

Some clarifications on item modifications

Community News

lol... the fanboyism is strong with this one.

Actually, that's the launch build, not beta. I take it you weren't there...

Orange gear should be the best in the game. I finally found consular gear I can stomach. I like it better than anything else I've seen. The orange I have seems to be difficult to find because I've never seen another player with it. The end game gear looks so bad I don't even want it. So now it won't have the augment??? I'm back to square one??? Jeesh, I think 40+ orange gear should be grandfathered with an the new augment slot. I don't even want end game gear unless it looks good and it's orange. Can anyone verify that the 1.2 patch will add the augment to all orange gear? Please tell me so....:mad:

It won't, it would've been one of the best decisions BioWare had ever made if they did just go ahead & retroactively put in the augment slot into all of our present orange gear. From then on, then we can work on the economy & work with the crafters & the rest of the community. First we should have to take care of ourselves, dammit!

/edit

Now instead I'm turning into an armormech this coming 1.2 patch & will probably end up destroying 2/3's of my orange items trying to RE them so I can get the schems that I'll have to keep on RE'ing again like another 20 times until I eventually get a crit that finally will grant me one of the pieces of orange gear I originally had except this time it now has an augment slot on it. It's a worse case scenario that I'm not looking forward to at all & y'know what, this is not appearance customization.

Not yet anyways, it's PREPARATION to appearance customization & the PREPARATION part is going to be very expensive, very failure dependent & very time consuming.

Once again I'm giving BioWare a chance, but I already know that I do not like where this is going. It's heading to a bad place.

Edited by Tricky-Ha

It won't, it would've been one of the best decisions BioWare had ever made if they did just go ahead & retroactively put in the augment slot into all of our present orange gear. From then on, then we can work on the economy & work with the crafters & the rest of the community. First we should have to take care of ourselves, dammit!

Of course, you can't say this definitively, since 1.2 isn't done yet. But it's likely the case. But it could still change. But it's likely the case.

:p

This isn't one of those "just" things. Finding and updating all the old items (modified or not) or setting up a transfer system represents a bunch more development in a different direction than what they were doing.

Ultimately, that development only serves a minority of the player base for a short period of time as a convenience that boils down to avoiding the running of the content to acquire superior gear to what they have.

Of course, you can't say this definitively, since 1.2 isn't done yet. But it's likely the case. But it could still change. But it's likely the case.

:p

I know. Of course Matte provided a valid & totally bullcrap reason for why BioWare would not add augments to current orange gear, still doesn't make it right. :o

Edited by Tricky-Ha

I know. Of course Matte provided a valid & totally bullcrap reason for why BioWare would not add augments to current orange gear, still doesn't make it right. :o

Yes, it was a very good point. Every time new, more powerful gear is added to an MMO, no one expects to be given it for free. If that's "totally bullcrap", then MMOs have lots of total bullcrap.

It's already been stated that ALL green gear has an orange version. It's also known that ALL white gear is repeated in greens. Thus, by extension, if there's a look you like, find the orange version.

It's not that hard to grasp, really.

Yeah, they lied. Thus, by extension, their orange mod system being a substitute for an appearance tab is crap.

Most of the changes they made in 1.2 for appearances is just a reversal of what they already had in beta.

Features in beta:

Colour matching system - taken out at the end of beta

All items modable - taken out at the end of beta

Specific armor mods (Feet, Chest, etc) - taken out at the end of beta

The only "new" feature is the ability to have an augment slot on orange crit gear. But this is only an issue orange gear appeared at the very end of beta as a replacement for having all gear modable.

Bioware wasted a huge amount of time flopping back and forth on how their armor system worked. Which could have easily been solved by adding in an appearance tab which offers more flexibility for the players and less work for the devs.

Edited by illgot

Yes, it was a very good point. Every time new, more powerful gear is added to an MMO, no one expects to be given it for free. If that's "totally bullcrap", then MMOs have lots of total bullcrap.

I know, but do I want "new powerful gear" or do I JUST want an "blank augment slot" put on the subpar gear that I already have, how about that? We're not asking for much are we?

Edited by Tricky-Ha

I know, but do I want "new powerful gear" or do I JUST want an "augment slot" put on the subpar gear that I already have, how about that? We're not asking for much are we?

Crit-crafted gear is intended to be rare and something you chase. They won't be handing it out it's bonus on every piece of existing orange. Yes, it will be the hypothetical best but, I would not expect to see alot of people with full sets of it for some time.