The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Unofficial Appearance Customization Thread

magnuskn

I don't know if there's going to be much more orange gear introduced in 1.2, but there is one thing that made me cautiously more excited: the fact that orange gear will have their armour type (light, medium, heavy) removed, allowing all orange gear to be worn by anyone."

That might be overstating it. I recall that referring to social gear (which is orange) being available to the different classes. That may just mean they offer it in different weights as opposed to removing the requirements and I did not hear of it applying to all orange gear. Maybe but, I didn't want hopes to get inflated erroneously.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That might be overstating it. I recall that referring to social gear (which is orange) being available to the different classes. That may just mean they offer it in different weights as opposed to removing the requirements and I did not hear of it applying to all orange gear. Maybe but, I didn't want hopes to get inflated erroneously.

One of Bioware's worst moves I thinks, & really they're just following MMO design convention to the letter, is having heavy armor wearers allowed to wear all armors & light armor wearers can only wear light, medium armor wearers can only equip medium & light armors. Forced armor restrictions are annoying in every MMO I've played.

They mentioned they might remove this requirement in beta, am I correct since you were there? I wonder why they never did?

It was Erikson during the Roleplaying session who mentioned it, and he said nothing about it only being social gear. He said "orange gear," and he specifically said that the orange gear was getting the armour type removed so that anyone can wear it.

He also mentioned that the orange gear that can be sellable and tradable will only be available through crafters, which means that if you are looking for a specific look, you'll have to go looking for someone who can craft that item.

EDIT: It's entirely possible Erikson got "orange gear" and "social gear" mixed up, but I don't think so in this case. He specifically mentioned that the orange gear was having the armour type removed, and then went on to talk about how players will have to go to crafters to get the orange gear they want.

Edited by Kharnis

One of Bioware's worst moves I thinks, & really they're just following MMO design convention to the letter, is having heavy armor wearers allowed to wear all armors & light armor wearers can only wear light, medium armor wearers can only equip medium & light armors. Forced armor restrictions are annoying in every MMO I've played.

They mentioned they might remove this requirement in beta, am I correct since you were there? I wonder why they never did?

The whole time I was in Beta, there were light, medium and heavy armor req's.

It was Erikson during the Roleplaying session who mentioned it, and he said nothing about it only being social gear. He said "orange gear," and he specifically said that the orange gear was getting the armour type removed so that anyone can wear it.

He also mentioned that the orange gear that can be sellable and tradable will only be available through crafters, which means that if you are looking for a specific look, you'll have to go looking for someone who can craft that item.

EDIT: It's entirely possible Erikson got "orange gear" and "social gear" mixed up, but I don't think so in this case. He specifically mentioned that the orange gear was having the armour type removed, and then went on to talk about how players will have to go to crafters to get the orange gear they want.

I was going off my recollection too, maybe yours is more accurate. I'd still be hesitant in expecting removed requirements until we see more in black and white (yellow and blue?).

That's very cool if true. That guy Erickson, he's not a straight talker, he's too tricky in keeping secrets, even during this summit he kept on hinting on future content that won't be in 1.2, without giving much detail as usual.

So that makes it official then? Probably need youtube video to be sure so everyone can watch it. I tried looking already but can't find recorded sections of Guild Summit vids.

If it's true that orange gear has no armor restriction & any class can wear any piece of faction specific light/medium/heavy armor, it'll be good news.

Edited by Tricky-Ha

I was going off my recollection too, maybe yours is more accurate. I'd still be hesitant in expecting removed requirements until we see more in black and white (yellow and blue?).

That's very cool if true. That guy Erickson, he's not a straight talker, he's too tricky in keeping secrets, even during this summit he kept on hinting on future content that won't be in 1.2, without giving much detail as usual.

So that makes it official then? Probably need youtube video to be sure so everyone can watch it. I tried looking already but can't find recorded sections of Guild Summit vids.

If it's true that orange gear has no armor restriction & any class can wear any piece of faction specific light/medium/heavy armor, it'll be good news.

Yeah, I was going strictly on recollection, too, and I remember Daniel Erickson mentioning a few things in the past that didn't quite turn out like he mentioned, so I went searching for it again. No one has the stream edited and posted yet (though several sites, including this one, are working on it), but I did find this from the Darth Hater Twitter page:

Erickson: All cosmetic gear should work for all armor types/requirements & there will be more of it

https://twitter.com/#!/realdarthhater

So I'm not the only one who came away with that impression. My biggest fear is that Erickson meant all future orange gear will be usable by everyone, but I'm not too afraid of that possibility. The devs specifically stated before the Guild Summit that social gear will be usable by everyone, and not just the light armour wearers.

Edited by Kharnis

In general, I think Erickson tends to be a little less precise in his wording when he is talking and answering questions live. I don't think he is being deceptive or anything, it's just that he views those details from a little further back and picking apart his statements word for word tends to put too much weight on statements meant to be relied upon much less. Edited by Matte_Black

I would be support entirely an option to change my character's physical appearance after investing a large amount of time into their story, not their equipment like I'm seeing in the 1.2 trailer but I would actually like to give my main character more color to his skin but unfortunately, getting all my armor off in the middle of Tatooine's deserts doesn't work :rolleyes:

/signed

Edited by Oakaru

To me personally this is by far the coolest looking chest-piece for the Marauder (don't really like the 'armor' look) problem is there is no way to create customizable versions....or is there? I can't find anything even close to similar looking at ANY of the trade trainers in DK (and yes this means I un-learned and then learned every crafting skill then went through all the chest pieces they had schematics for that I could possibly purchase at a later date) if there is a way to be able to create a customizable version please tell me I was very upset when I became over-leveled to wear this piece.

I would be support entirely an option to change my character's physical appearance after investing a large amount of time into their story, not their equipment like I'm seeing in the 1.2 trailer but I would actually like to give my main character more color to his skin but unfortunately, getting all my armor off in the middle of Tatooine's deserts doesn't work :rolleyes:

/signed

I think it would be interesting if you could pick an avatar change and upon selecting it, a corresponding quest would be offered to take you through an adventure to explain the change in game. Wouldn't need to be complex or combat heavy, just go hear talk to so and so sort of stuff. Maybe you go to some special training camp to bulk up, end up in some sort crash landing that explain your new scars or your companiuons get you drunk and you wake up with piercing. Once you complete the quest, your change is complete.

Not everyone will dig the time and effort to do it so, maybe offer a flat credit or legacy price for a questless quick change as well.

Have you seen the new 1.2 armor looks yet?

Now that you have, do you want an appearance tab even more than you did want it before? Yeah, me too. :p

Oh, for some good news. Color match is working just fine on the public test server. Last night I was applying color matching to some of my BH gear.

I got screenshots for success if you wanna see.

Here's my red gloves turning white & these cool pants in their original coloring.

And here's the opposite of that.

Edited by Tricky-Ha

Have I ever not supported the appearance tab for SWTOR? Well I'm asking for it again as a replacement for the orange item mod system in light of the fact that in patch 1.2, set bonus from new gear will not transfer to our current gear.

C'mon BioWare, you have got to stop sucking. It's 2012, get your stuff together already...

Have you seen the new 1.2 armor looks yet?

Now that you have, do you want an appearance tab even more than you did want it before? Yeah, me too. :p

Oh, for some good news. Color match is working just fine on the public test server. Last night I was applying color matching to some of my BH gear.

I got screenshots for success if you wanna see.

Here's my red gloves turning white & these cool pants in their original coloring.

And here's the opposite of that.

I'm extremely excited for color-matching's return. It was one of my favorite features during general testing, and I was one of the angry ones when they took it out. Seeing your screencaps has me thrilled!

Edited by Dezzi

Have I ever not supported the appearance tab for SWTOR? Well I'm asking for it again as a replacement for the orange item mod system in light of the fact that in patch 1.2, set bonus from new gear will not transfer to our current gear.

C'mon BioWare, you have got to stop sucking. It's 2012, get your stuff together already...

I would have to agree, but for a different reason. The orange-mod system seems terribly over-engineered compared to a simple A-tab function that would accomplish the same damn thing.

Someone didn't follow the KISS approach to systems design.

I was aware that you could not pull the set bonus mods from old gear and that the new set bonuses could only transfer between items of the same body slot but, this is the first I have heard that the new mods can't be placed in the old gear. Anywhere you can direct me for more confirmation on this?

Edited by Matte_Black

I was aware that you could not pull the set bonus mods from old gear and that the new set bonuses could only transfer between items of the same body slot but, this is the first I have heard that the new mods can't be placed in the old gear. Anywhere you can direct me for more confirmation on this?

I'm glad you asked Matte, this is some annoying news & I think it needs to be known. Here's a link to a discussion on it.

I have tons of Orange gear sitting in 2 cargo bays on my ship & there is not going to be any way to get some specific augment item put on them. I'll have to deal with RNG & failures & losing probably like 75% of my oranges in the process thru reverse engineerining. That's not cool, I like those orange items & I don't want to lose them & I don't want to go looking for them again, y'know? Like I said, it's annoying that BioWare is being so secretive as usual.

Edited by Tricky-Ha

I'm extremely excited for color-matching's return. It was one of my favorite features during general testing, and I was one of the angry ones when they took it out. Seeing your screencaps has me thrilled!

Happy that you like, I'm so happy to see the return of color matching too.

Now if they will just create an appearance tab. I was running around searching armor venders and loved a few of the white items they were selling (vender trash).

Create an appearance tab or make all gear orange so we can use any model we want please.

Edited by illgot

I'm glad you asked Matte, this is some annoying news & I think it needs to be known. Here's a link to a discussion on it.

I have tons of Orange gear sitting in 2 cargo bays on my ship & there is not going to be any way to get some specific augment item put on them. I'll have to deal with RNG & failures & losing probably like 75% of my oranges in the process thru reverse engineerining. That's not cool, I like those orange items & I don't want to lose them & I don't want to go looking for them again, y'know? Like I said, it's annoying that BioWare is being so secretive as usual.

You are seriously stretching the bounds of:

...in light of the fact that in patch 1.2, set bonus from new gear will not transfer to our current gear.

This infers that the mods can't be placed in the gear while they actually will be able to. Your quibbling about choosing not to because your existing gear has no augment slot. Something you knew the gear did not have all along by simple investigation in your inventory.

I can understand the frustration that upcoming gear could be better than what you have collected but, you have badly misrepresented the point and how the mods can transfer.

Edited by Matte_Black

You are seriously stretching the bounds of:

This infers that the mods can't be placed in the gear while they actually will be able to. Your quibbling about choosing not to because your existing gear has no augment slot. Something you knew the gear did not have all along by simple investigation in your inventory.

I can understand the frustration that upcoming gear could be better than what you have collected but, you have badly misrepresented the point and how the mods can transfer.

I know. I just didn't make myself clear enough in the first place. Follow my post history Matte & it's obviously clear that I'm not quite all here, all the time.... :o

More mad about having all that semi-useless orange gear in cargo holds than anything else, really.

Wait a sec... set bonuses WILL transfer to your current gear... :confused:

I would have to agree, but for a different reason. The orange-mod system seems terribly over-engineered compared to a simple A-tab function that would accomplish the same damn thing.

Someone didn't follow the KISS approach to systems design.

Sometimes "KISS" means watered-down and generic. Tired. Old. Time for something better.

Yeah, that pretty much all applies here.