Server lags DM server

Mora_new

Right so that looks like hop 10 is a problem and that's an issue for your internet provider then. I'm not a huge expert but I've had CS guide me through this sort of thing and the number should be either 0 or 100 depending on what type of node it is or something, so with this one at 90 there is definitely an issue in your connection. That's something that BioWare can't help as far as I understand it.

Problem is not with my ISP, but with Level3 Communications ISP who owns 9,10,11 nodes. I do not blame Bioware, but should they use more reliable network infrastructure.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I see the problem with one of Zayo node, and we can see these nodes of Zayo are last before servers

Same issue here. Reaching these Zayo servers in an average of 70 ms, when it leave their infrastructure it's over 200ms.

Edited by EmperorRus

Severe lag spikes continue on DM and SS. I sometimes get stuck in the loading screen because I get no response form the servers when I switch.

Ugh I just resubbed the other day and it’s been like this since I started. If I would have known the infrastructure was garbage right now I wouldn’t have resubbed.

And don’t tell me “it’s not BW, it’s you or something in between.” It shouldn’t be up to ME to get an IT degree and download a 3rd party program to find out what the problem is like I’m magically supposed to switch ISPs so I can play one game. I think as a business BioWare should be concerned about problems in between themselves and their customers, I’m sure the managers at your local grocery store would be concerned if road construction blocked off all but one entrance to the parking lot.

Then again I feel guilty asking anyone to do anything non-essential during a global pandemic, so... I hope whatever it is gets fixed soon, but no rush, don’t want to put anyone in danger.

And don’t tell me “it’s not BW, it’s you or something in between.” It shouldn’t be up to ME to get an IT degree and download a 3rd party program to find out what the problem is like I’m magically supposed to switch ISPs so I can play one game. I think as a business BioWare should be concerned about problems in between themselves and their customers, I’m sure the managers at your local grocery store would be concerned if road construction blocked off all but one entrance to the parking lot.

And what can the managers of your local grocery store do in the meantime when the road construction is caused by an accident that damaged the pavement? They cannot magically build another road to the parking lot out of thin air.

Do not listen to phazon freek as he is obviously clueless about the issue, this is anything to do with swtor or any of its servers, i play on the west coast and both satele shan and the starforge servers, all of which do not so much show lag as the server is having issues, overload from cheap servers is my guess.

Thank you for providing such a crappy service bioware and EA! Getting my money worth here!

Do not listen to phazon freek as he is obviously clueless about the issue, this is anything to do with swtor or any of its servers, i play on the west coast and both satele shan and the starforge servers, all of which do not so much show lag as the server is having issues, overload from cheap servers is my guess.

Thank you for providing such a crappy service bioware and EA! Getting my money worth here!

Sure, I am the one who is clueless, especially about the "overload from cheap servers" :rolleyes:

Time to leave this thread alone and play on any of the servers together with other players who have no lag and leave you stewing in your misdirected anger.

Edited by Phazonfreak

Hahahahaha, misdirected in your mind but i have been playing since the outset. The servers got worse after they moved them to the east coast, even on days with low traffic, oh and i have a 150 meg connection so you go with the belief it is my connection to the server, been building computers for almost 20 years now so i must be mistaken huh?

Have also witnessed what EA does when a game is on its last legs, been playing battlefield since bf-2 came out .

oh and i have a 150 meg connection so you go with the belief it is my connection to the server, been building computers for almost 20 years now so i must be mistaken huh?

This sentence alone shows that you are mistaken and don't really understand how the infrastructure behind your connection to the server works. The connection through your provider is simply a bottleneck of the potential speed with which you can upload and download data. Ever wondered why the commercials always say "up to" and not "guaranteed" when it comes to maximum speed? So if anything is happening along the several hops it takes to reach the servers, as for example Stephrebecca has kindly tested and pointed out:

Issue seems to be happening at Zayo.com (US Fibre provider) according to my Tracert
your potential internet speed has no bearing anymore. Even though the analogy to roads and highways is not really correct 100%, but it is still a good method to understand what is happening when the connection is slow or inconsistent and why you cannot simply assume the fault is at your start/end point or the server's start/end point without testing the entire road that the data has to travel. Your Porsche cannot simply fly over the accident on the highway unless it is a DeLorean and Doc Brown built it.

I get it that it is extremely frustrating and I would be frustrated as well if it happened to me, but it is neither helpful nor warranted to fault BioWare or EA and their "cheap" servers in this entire scenario when it is clearly not a server issue but a road issue. I'm not saying that they cannot do things like contacting the people responsible for the road or trying to figure out alternative routes to ensure less hickups, but the fact remains that the issue is not caused by them in the first place.

Edited by Phazonfreak

This sentence alone shows that you are mistaken and don't really understand how the infrastructure behind your connection to the server works. The connection through your provider is simply a bottleneck of the potential speed with which you can upload and download data. Ever wondered why the commercials always say "up to" and not "guaranteed" when it comes to maximum speed? So if anything is happening along the several hops it takes to reach the servers, as for example Stephrebecca has kindly tested and pointed out:your potential internet speed has no bearing anymore. Even though the analogy to roads and highways is not really correct 100%, but it is still a good method to understand what is happening when the connection is slow or inconsistent and why you cannot simply assume the fault is at your start/end point or the server's start/end point without testing the entire road that the data has to travel. Your Porsche cannot simply fly over the accident on the highway unless it is a DeLorean and Doc Brown built it.

I get it that it is extremely frustrating and I would be frustrated as well if it happened to me, but it is neither helpful nor warranted to fault BioWare or EA and their "cheap" servers in this entire scenario when it is clearly not a server issue but a road issue. I'm not saying that they cannot do things like contacting the people responsible for the road or trying to figure out alternative routes to ensure less hickups, but the fact remains that the issue is not caused by them in the first place.

All good points, it's not their issue, but it does effect their services. Hopefully they will take a step in helping to get it resolved. I just resubbed yesterday.

All good points, it's not their issue, but it does effect their services. Hopefully they will take a step in helping to get it resolved. I just resubbed yesterday.

Now that I can fully agree with. Yes, they should investigate and follow up on it because there seems to be entire clusters being affected and not just singular lanes and if it continues to do so it will damage them and their profits in the long run.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I showed my connection speed so you would know it wasn't on a crappy connection, am well aware of just how the connection is made between my computer and the server, lost packets tend to cause issues but this problem has existed since they moved the server to the east coast.

You go with your belief in what the issue might be but I bet with enough complaints they might improve the bandwidth all by themselves.

You ever hear of wireshark????? You seem to be white knighting it for bioware so I might even think you are on the payroll.

Like I previously stated, this is not our problem but the more we squeak the more likely the wheel will get greased.

I showed my connection speed so you would know it wasn't on a crappy connection, am well aware of just how the connection is made between my computer and the server, lost packets tend to cause issues but this problem has existed since they moved the server to the east coast.

You go with your belief in what the issue might be but I bet with enough complaints they might improve the bandwidth all by themselves.

You ever hear of wireshark????? You seem to be white knighting it for bioware so I might even think you are on the payroll.

Like I previously stated, this is not our problem but the more we squeak the more likely the wheel will get greased.

That's the thing though, I'm not going after what I believe but what I can factually summize using pingplotter, or tracert or wireshark and judging by the results me and others have and my very own gaming experience playing SWTOR. I never said that there is no problem with the connection, only that attributing that problem to the servers is not confirmed by the results and trying to entirely shift the blame to BioWare is not helping the people who have connection issues, because BioWare has no control over the entire infrastructure between the players and their servers.

We actually had a big server issue last year when they changed conquest so that it became directly tied to XP gain and you got conquest points for every enemy kill. That change broke the servers and everyone in the game experienced serious ability lag regardless of their connection to the servers. That one was all on BioWare and it took them several attempts to fix it. This one is not the same.

I already said what they can and should do for their own sake if this keeps happening for a big chunk of their players, namely contacting the companies responsible for the infrastructure and figuring out alternative routes. If that is white knighting to you, so be it. Would be nice to get payed by EA though...

Edited by Phazonfreak

Been getting the same, normally I have 18-23ms (Virgin Media top bundle) at the current moment I’m at 38+ms.

I used Pingplotter and it seems to be from Dublin to the server as the problem.

From hop 8 to server.

Additional notes I’m from London, and all the trace route here is what I’d normally get in ms lag, but from this Dublin spot there is a lot of spikes which happen.

• 5 months later...

Why are we forced into this Dublin area anyway? I'm in Texas, servers on this continent, routing around the planet to get there seems foolish.

Blaming "your isp" is the height of ignorance, please stop saying it, you just look really really bad. ISP Problems effect everything you touch. Once they send off your info to the next servers, it leaves their control and it bounces all around.

From looking at these pingplots the server that routes to Dublin to get anything done is just at fault as any other.

Why we cant just directly dial into to swtor is my question. But I'm from a time of the internet where things made sense. The more this internet beast grows, the more unruly and unreasonable it becomes.

i live in Europe and play on US and EU ( English ) Server.

on US Server: 80-100ms

on EU Server ( since 2-3 Days ) 10.000-50.000ms

Your route to the NA servers is obviously not the same as your route to the Euro servers.

For example, for me, connecting to the NA servers involves many connections within NA, but to connect to the Euro servers, I have to go through Halifax and then the undersea cable to Ireland (?). If there's a problem with the routing to the NA servers, I can still play on the Euro servers just fine.

i live in Europe and play on US and EU ( English ) Server.

on US Server: 80-100ms

on EU Server ( since 2-3 Days ) 10.000-50.000ms :eek:

*** is wrong with the EU Server? :mad:

same happened to me yesterday - the EU-Servers (tried DM & TH) had horrible lag and disconnects while the US-Servers (SS & SF) were totally fine with very little ping. (I live in Germany)