The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

in game chatting

jjtjr

Instead of typing words for chatting it would be great to speak and have it typed in such using Dragon Speak and Spell or Google access while playing game. This would be a great feature and also very helpful for those of us who are either disabled or elderly.

please no

OP is not asking for built-in voice chat, but rather for the ability to do speech-to-text for chat. What I don't know is whether such programs can do that *into* a game, and whether they support suitable "push to talk" keys.

Failure to have a push-to-talk key is OK for dictation software for typing letters, but you *really* need one for in-game chat, otherwise you'll find yourself quickly on everyone's /ignore list when you start blurting out your thoughts on the ancestry and intelligence of your fellow players in a PuG flashpoint.

I often use speech-to-text when texting on my phone. It's very handy as my largish hands don't like the small keyboard.

Having such an ability for SWTOR would be very handy for various people with handicaps, crappy keyboards, slow typing skills, etc.

I can see one possible technicality though. PC based speech-to-text apps probably use the Windows based copy & paste function to insert the text via the clipboard. However only the underlying DOS based ctrl-c and ctrl-v work for SWTOR.

In any case, if you can find any speech-to-text app that can function properly, there should be no problem using it. You might not need BW to come up with something.

I can see one possible technicality though. PC based speech-to-text apps probably use the Windows based copy & paste function to insert the text via the clipboard. However only the underlying DOS based ctrl-c and ctrl-v work for SWTOR.

They probably *don't* use the clipboard, since that would mean that whenever the user uses speech-to-text, the software would destroy the contents of the clipboard, which is not a good thing. Instead, what they do is inject the necessary keypresses into the input stream of the active application, and I don't know whether that works with DirectInput.

And the Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V / Ctrl+X shortcuts have their origins in Apple's "Human Interface Guidelines" for the Mac. Historically, DOS programs used whatever on a per-program basis, and Windows originally preferred IBM's "CUA" (Common User Access) shortcuts, Ctrl+Insert for copy, Shift+Insert for paste, Shift+Delete for cut. (CUA also gave us things like tapping Alt to open menus, the ... on menu commands that pop dialogue boxes, F1 for help and F5 for refresh. Oh, and the infamous Alt+F4 to solve any noob problem in MMORPGs, er, sorry, close the active window. The full CUA specification is 328 pages, while the Apple HIG weighs in at a "mere" 139 pages.)

OP is not asking for built-in voice chat, but rather for the ability to do speech-to-text for chat. What I don't know is whether such programs can do that *into* a game, and whether they support suitable "push to talk" keys.

Failure to have a push-to-talk key is OK for dictation software for typing letters, but you *really* need one for in-game chat, otherwise you'll find yourself quickly on everyone's /ignore list when you start blurting out your thoughts on the ancestry and intelligence of your fellow players in a PuG flashpoint.

Not to mention flooding chat with everything your children/spouse/you say that has nothing to do with the game.