Trooper Melee Weapons

TEHDARKNEZZ

Why cant troopers use melee weapons? Or anyone other than companions or force users?

Shouldn't a vanguard be able to use a vibrosword or something? I know you can use your gun as an effective melee weapon, but what if I want to cut someone down with a sword?

Should this be added into the game?

Feedback?

Also, didn't it show a Bounty hunter using a melee weapon in one of the preview videos about combat?

What Gives!?

Vanguards get attacks that utilize their 'hidden' Vibroblades Assassin's Creed style as far as I've seen, but outside of that, Troopers were meant to be a ranged class. There are quite a few articles from BioWare about their intentions of ranged tanking.

Besides, a Trooper's best friend is his trusty rifle. If you want to play a melee class, roll a Jedi =/

Edited by Grimoir

Well, for 1, classes are supposed to be how you want to play them, if I want my ballsy vanguard to go rushing into combat with a vibrosword shouldn't I have that capability? I'm not 'supposed' to use any sort of weapon, just the one I want to use with the class I want to use.

The main thing point is, I want to tank range, but I also want the ability to pull out a melee weapon if I feel like it.

This is more an argument of Role Playing vs Balance, really.

Well, for 1, classes are supposed to be how you want to play them, if I want my ballsy vanguard to go rushing into combat with a vibrosword shouldn't I have that capability? I'm not 'supposed' to use any sort of weapon, just the one I want to use with the class I want to use.

The main thing point is, I want to tank range, but I also want the ability to pull out a melee weapon if I feel like it.

This is more an argument of Role Playing vs Balance, really.

Wrong, this is an MMORPG, not a single palyer RPG.

In an MMORPG a class is how they are meant to be played (read: designed/balanced) not how you want to play them.

Wrong, this is an MMORPG, not a single palyer RPG.

In an MMORPG a class is how they are meant to be played (read: designed/balanced) not how you want to play them.

Then why have all the fancy skill tree and customization options?

Also, its still an RPG, MMO on means massive multiplayer online, it has nothing to do with gameplay (other than the multiplayer part)

If what your saying is right is should be called MMOtalkingfestwherenothingyoudoactuallyeffectsanythingaboutyourcharacter

And honestly, right now, thats the way it is.

Its the disappointing truth I suppose.

Then why have all the fancy skill tree and customization options?

Also, its still an RPG, MMO on means massive multiplayer online, it has nothing to do with gameplay (other than the multiplayer part)

If what your saying is right is should be called MMOtalkingfestwherenothingyoudoactuallyeffectsanythingaboutyourcharacter

And honestly, right now, thats the way it is.

Its the disappointing truth I suppose.

You honestly are not getting the point of the class system. Yes there are "fancy skill tree and customization options" but no matter how you spec those trees the point of the class stays the same, troopers are a ranged class. Like an above poster said, if you want to play a melee tank then stop with the vanguard and pick up a glowstick because the vanguard will never be both powerful ranged and powerful melee. Once again, try a scoundrel you might love it.

You honestly are not getting the point of the class system. Yes there are "fancy skill tree and customization options" but no matter how you spec those trees the point of the class stays the same, troopers are a ranged class. Like an above poster said, if you want to play a melee tank then stop with the vanguard and pick up a glowstick because the vanguard will never be both powerful ranged and powerful melee. Once again, try a scoundrel you might love it.

Well there is no problem with how the class is setup, in fact theres no problem at all. At least not with the game balance. It just feels like you 'should' be able to use a melee weapon because its an RPG. If thats what you want to do, thats what you want to do.

In fact, theres no other RPG other than WoW or this, (or other MMO's) that don't give you either way options.

On a grande scale, MMO's are extremely unique in how they work. And this one itself is also very unique in the lack of options they have pertaining to weapons. WoW, if I recall, gave you a weapon in the start but did not restrict you to using just that weapon or type of weapon. I think.

And a big thing is: I WANT to tank range, I just want the melee weapon there as a close range safety net.

Meh, I knew I shouldn't have went with consular instead of jedi knight. Now I've gone through tython already and I dont want to go back through, so now my hitting things with a stick urge is not fully satisfied.

It is just simply not in the design. Games like this are not designed to allow you to have everything at once. You have stock strike and gut, both pretty strong melee range and a ton of armor, you have a few DPS skills as a vanguard that are pretty much melee range but must use a gun.

Last time i will say, Scoundrel can do both and gets the nifty stealth generator and delicious scattergun backstabs while still retaining it's mid range options.

It is just simply not in the design. Games like this are not designed to allow you to have everything at once. You have stock strike and gut, both pretty strong melee range and a ton of armor, you have a few DPS skills as a vanguard that are pretty much melee range but must use a gun.

Last time i will say, Scoundrel can do both and gets the nifty stealth generator and delicious scattergun backstabs while still retaining it's mid range options.

and I'm still just saying that I understand that and the only reason I care is because i want a good ROLEPLAYING experience with ROLE PLAYING style customization. But balance is too important, and my opinions dont matter anyway because im just one lowly man.

Its not like Im going to ragequit tor forever because the Vanguard cant hold a sword, I still want to shoot people.

I'm just ************ for the sake of ************ at this point. that is a good way to put it.

Also: I suck at stealth, so scoundrel is not a viable option anyway.

Final thing: If it were up to me, I would have made it so that there were 4 or more core classes that had completely separate prologues that allowed you to choose between going empire or republic. That would have made it so that they didn't have to create two classes that were basically copy paste on either side so that it they didnt have to do major balancing.

Still ************ for the sake of ************.

That is all. Goodnight.

• 9 months later...

I don't agree that the current trooper ACs should get melee powers as well, that would just over flow your power trays.

I would like to see a non-force melee class. They are all throughout the game. You see melee troopers, one of the companions is one. And melee bounty hunters as NPCs.

I think maybe they should add a 3rd AC for troopers and Bounty Hunters, one melee based.

As a vanguard you are in melee range a lot of the time, you have a pull to melee, a jump to melee, and some 10m range powers. In this game 10m is pretty fricken close XD

Anyway, I'd liek to see that! Someone who can actually use an electro staff!

I do agree that the vanguard should have the option to go to a melee weapon. This is another problem i've been having with the game. Flow of abilities. Having the same issue with the Operative i am running.

I mean they say the Vanguard is a ranged tank, but how many times does a vanguard get forced into close combat, A LOT more than you think because usually a vanguard has no choice but to go up close cause a lot because some of their best attacks are 10m or less range.

Makes Zero sense to say "Ranged tank" when most of your attacks put you up close and personal.

Either give us a melee weapon, or give us abilities to stay at range not this quasi in between crap.

It's a case of gameplay trumping any other considerations. In this case, having as few people as possible argue over who gets melee weapons when they drop off of bosses.

I like the way ranged tanking works now, personally. I don't mind being close to the boss for most of the fight, and the ability to hold threat once I have it with Hammer Shots and Ion Cylinder gives me the freedom to move that melee tanks wish they had in fights that require a lot of movement to avoid damage.

Edited by Otembe

It's a case of gameplay trumping any other considerations. In this case, having as few people as possible argue over who gets melee weapons when they drop off of bosses.

I like the way ranged tanking works now, personally. I don't mind being close to the boss for most of the fight, and the ability to hold threat once I have it with Hammer Shots and Ion Cylinder gives me the freedom to move that melee tanks wish they had in fights that require a lot of movement to avoid damage.

yeah? well try that in PVP matches, you can't do the whole ranged tank thing. You are almost always engaged up close and personal with other PVPS. Just doesn't work.

I have an idea long this thread. For Tactics. Replace gutshot with a skill for say for the Tech staff. Hammer shot can do both blaster shots or if you use the tech staff hammering with the staff. I'd also replace firepulse with a technique i see used against me by npcs with tech staff: Spinning blades.

Along with this i'd get rid of power generators for vanguards and replace them with an offhand blaster of somekind, that allows us to do the skills: HiB, Mortar Volley, Explosive round, rapid fire, etc. This way we can still use or rangd attacks like that but now we have a melee weapon and i think it could fit. But least it would give us a melee weapon we could use and it would make us more fluid and open up the Vanguard class some.