The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why the absolute heck does Arn's Unshielded Dualsaber sheathe to the BACK!??

It looks terrible imo and I want the saber back where every other saber goes, had no idea to even check for that before I went and spent tens of millions on this saber, seems like a giant waste of credits now since I don't want to use it at all anymore... Is this a bug or intentional? Even if it's a bug I'm guessing it'll probably never get addressed :( Edited by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

You mean "where every other saber goes except the ones that don't", I think.

Nope. Don't mean that at all. Since I've played for years now and used countless sabers both single and double and never ONCE have I seen one that equips to the back in such a stupid looking way, I think I'm safe to assume this is the only one that does that. With absolutely no warning before you buy it, unless you happen to check in the preview screen, but as I've said, who is going to think to check the sheathe position before buying when every other saber in the game goes on the hip... That annoying fact should at the very least be made clear in the item window

Edited by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

And then there's the threads that say "Please put more lightsabers on the back, like Arn's." 😂

I can't imagine why literally anyone would want this. It looks terrible and clips into 90% of the chest pieces in the friggin game! Basically any armor piece with a cape or cloak is off limits if you want to look decent and even then it just looks silly to me. I've only ever seen one Jedi have a saber on his back in the entire lore personally, can't even remember his name atm. The guy from Force Unleashed, first Jedi boss you defeat who then mentors your character in the later story. And at least on him the placement wasn't so off putting. Not to mention there was a sheathe for it.. At least when a saber is on our belts we can pretty easily think that it's gonna be hooked onto the belt, what the heck is keeping it on the back? There's no outfit that has any kind of holding mechanism or sheathe in that spot. Just looks like you've glued the saber on. I literally can't list enough reasons why i hate this

Nope. Don't mean that at all. Since I've played for years now and used countless sabers both single and double and never ONCE have I seen one that equips to the back in such a stupid looking way,

Then you need to play more. There are several back-mounted dual sabers.

And I for one advocate for them being there.

So look a little harder in collections at the dual sabers.

You'll find half a dozen back-mounted dual sabers, at least.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I can't imagine why literally anyone would want this.

That just shows your lack of imagination.

It looks terrible

Merely a personal opinion.

There's no outfit that has any kind of holding mechanism or sheathe in that spot. Just looks like you've glued the saber on. I literally can't list enough reasons why i hate this

Again, a lack of imagination. You'd think in this era of cellphones and tablets, the word "magnet" would spring to mind. Not to mention the idea of advanced repulser/attractor technology displayed by the use of "floating" speeders, etc.

😍

That just shows your lack of imagination.

Merely a personal opinion.

Again, a lack of imagination. You'd think in this era of cellphones and tablets, the word "magnet" would spring to mind. Not to mention the idea of advanced repulser/attractor technology displayed by the use of "floating" speeders, etc.

😍

It's like you want to start an argument with every post you make you know that? Why do you feel the need for the condescension and insulting all of a sudden? Does it make you feel good to put random people down? I just wasted a ton of credits on this thing and your not gonna let me have an opinion about it? And yes, it was an opinion. No need to point that out.

I also find it hard to headcanon a "magnet" onto the back of the fabric of my characters clothes.... especially when the saber is clipping through half of them. Sure, that might work as headcanon on certain armor types, but not for a vast majority imo

Then you need to play more. There are several back-mounted dual sabers.

And I for one advocate for them being there.

So look a little harder in collections at the dual sabers.

You'll find half a dozen back-mounted dual sabers, at least.

I'm not saying no dual saber should be that way for those that want it, but I'd advocate for that being a MUCH clearer feature on sabers that have it. If I didn't think to look for such a thing in the preview window before wasting 30 million credits on a now useless saber since I just didn't ever imagine such a thing happening, so I can't imagine a majority of others would be expecting that either or know to check for it. It's not like I'm some newbie, if I've never seen it, quite a few others MUST not have.

I mean, to your point about looking "a little" harder in collections for the sabers like this... I'd have to look a LOT harder as the system is now. I'd have to get each item on screen, preview it, then unequip the weapon to see where it goes. Then go find the next item, preview it, which would again take the item into my characters hands requiring yet another unequip to see where the next weapon goes. It'd be quite a time consuming process tbh. It should definitely tell us which sabers do that somewhere slightly easier to see at a glance like on the tooltip etc imo.

Or simply add an option to change the sheathe location for every saber :)

yea, splurged on new sin I made. Spent like 30 mil on a new outfit, and another 40 mil on an unstable peacemaker doublesaber. And, then realized it sheathed on his back. Basically ruining the look of the outfit (big pipe sticking in and then back out of my cool new black robes...exterminator set). I was pretty disappointed as it was not the look I had spent so much of my hard-earned credits to get.

But he still looks cool with the saber out, and I have gotten used to the sheathed look on the back (or maybe learned to block it out). what else can you do?

Edited by aristein

There are still far more dualsabers that are sheathed on your waist instead of your back, but it is nice that BioWare gave us some variation, because for some characters and armor sets it looks very good.

The best thing for you would be to learn your lesson and preview the weapons before you buy them instead of assuming everyone had the same aesthetic perception.

I mean, to your point about looking "a little" harder in collections for the sabers like this... I'd have to look a LOT harder as the system is now. I'd have to get each item on screen, preview it, then unequip the weapon to see where it goes. Then go find the next item, preview it, which would again take the item into my characters hands requiring yet another unequip to see where the next weapon goes. It'd be quite a time consuming process tbh.

Lucky for you I already carried out that search, *some*time*ago*(1)(2):

Except that it *isn't* the only one to back-carry. (Lightsabres aren't, classically, "holstered", or even "sheathed", because they just hang from wherever on a hook.)

The Tyth's and Senya's pikes obviously back-carry (and count as dualsabres, not electrostaffs.

Another one, off the top of my head, that back-carries, is the Eternal Commander MK-1/2/3/4 series from Command Crates, but it isn't the only other one.

Examples (complete list from the Collections interface that aren't the pikes and aren't the Unstable Peacemaker's either):

* Firestorm HZ-77 Dualsaber

* Imperial E-1 Enforcer Dualsaber

* Resolute Guerilla's Dualsaber

So there aren't many others, but there are *some*.

(1) That was before 6.0 came out, and I can tell you that they have added at least one other since then, the Onderonian Force-Lord's.

(2) The search is faster than you imply because:

* You can select "Dualsabers" in the Collections interface so that the "search for the next one" part is nil.

* You can leave the Preview window open as you preview each one and if you watch your character carefully as you press the preview button, you'll see how it draws.

* If it's a new one in the CM or one you find in the GTN, you only need to preview *it*.

A lot of the dualsabers released in the past few years sheathe on the back. You should always check dualsabers before you buy them. Many of the ones that don't sheathe on the back are so long they look ridiculous on the hip. Some are so long they almost reach your armpit and go past your knees!

i prefer the back myself. I wish all dual sabers had the option cause the idea of dragging along a 4 foot saber attached to your hip looking like the guy from the limu emu commercial with the key on his belt is kinda silly to me.

yea, splurged on new sin I made. Spent like 30 mil on a new outfit, and another 40 mil on an unstable peacemaker doublesaber. And, then realized it sheathed on his back. Basically ruining the look of the outfit (big pipe sticking in and then back out of my cool new black robes...exterminator set). I was pretty disappointed as it was not the look I had spent so much of my hard-earned credits to get.

But he still looks cool with the saber out, and I have gotten used to the sheathed look on the back (or maybe learned to block it out). what else can you do?

That's on you if you don't preview your gear before purchasing.

i prefer the back myself. I wish all dual sabers had the option cause the idea of dragging along a 4 foot saber attached to your hip looking like the guy from the limu emu commercial with the key on his belt is kinda silly to me.

Exactly. Strap a baseball bat to your hip, then sprint.

Unstable peacemaker does it too? Thanks for saving me another 30 million credits since I was gonna buy it soon enough too, although I'd definitely have checked this time anyways.

There are still far more dualsabers that are sheathed on your waist instead of your back, but it is nice that BioWare gave us some variation, because for some characters and armor sets it looks very good.

The best thing for you would be to learn your lesson and preview the weapons before you buy them instead of assuming everyone had the same aesthetic perception.

That's on you if you don't preview your gear before purchasing.

In hindsight, should I have checked the preview window? Sure. Of course. Obviously. But are you telling me it was an unreasonable expectation beforehand that the placement of the weapon was a given? I mean, it is in the case of pretty much every other weapon class, it's something I literally never have to check as weapons have always went to the same sheath location for each class in my experience on the game, and as I've said I had never encountered any saber that functioned that way in the past, or even any comparable sheath change between weapons in a different class. I don't think I was being unreasonable to expect this saber would behave as the rest I was aware of had. And yes, I'll learn the lesson for the future. But on the first time this has happened I think I have a right to go on the forums and give my opinion/complaints about it in hopes of affecting change.

If I did the same thing again and came here moaning about it, THEN it'd be fine to say it's my own fault. I'd know the issue then and still have made the same errors after all. But as it is I find the "you should have known to check" response a little unfair. As I've said before they should make it a little bit of a clearer thing on weapons that do that. How hard is it to tell us on the tooltip? Or have those sabers in the category of the other things that go on your back (Like the starting blades that Shadows or Assassins get for example). Better info is always good, I'm just saying.

A lot of the dualsabers released in the past few years sheathe on the back. You should always check dualsabers before you buy them. Many of the ones that don't sheathe on the back are so long they look ridiculous on the hip. Some are so long they almost reach your armpit and go past your knees!

I'm not saying no saber should go on the back. I would never try to ruin something for others just because I don't like it personally, each to their own. And yes, I'm sure some sabers look silly on the hip, I just don't think Arn's would be one of them, it's average length after all. They really should just let us pick where each saber goes why does it always have to be "satisfy one group or the other" when both could be easily catered to :rolleyes:

What I don't understand is why people who are going to spend so many credits on something don't preview it first. I mean the preview now has a holster/sheath animation button now. That way you could know before you break the bank on a fancy new saber or outfit.

I wish the preview included the sound as well, sound is important to me.

What I don't understand is why people who are going to spend so many credits on something don't preview it first. I mean the preview now has a holster/sheath animation button now. That way you could know before you break the bank on a fancy new saber or outfit.

I wish the preview included the sound as well, sound is important to me.

See above. I didn't check because it simply never occurred to me that this was even a thing. I had no idea I would need to check that in particular, as I havent on every other weapon I have ever bought

Agreed on the sound previewer though. That is indeed a MUST. And not just for weapons, it's nice to know what voice changer is on certain helmets before buying too.

I can see why some wouldn't like it, but I think it's pretty neat. The back storage looks great on some outfits, as does the unsheathing animation.

What really disappoints me tbh is that these back sabers seem to have the market almost cornered when it comes to sabers with an effect built into them like the Unstable Peacemaker or Arn's Dualsaber. It looks like the Unstable Arbiter goes to the hip though at least, guess it'll have to suffice. Really hope they let us start choosing where sabers go..

What really disappoints me tbh is that these back sabers seem to have the market almost cornered when it comes to sabers with an effect built into them like the Unstable Peacemaker or Arn's Dualsaber. It looks like the Unstable Arbiter goes to the hip though at least, guess it'll have to suffice. Really hope they let us start choosing where sabers go..

Not smashing your hopes, but I think it is basically impossible for them to do that. Changing where the sabers go is not as easy as flipping a switch. They would have to work over all the animations and interactions with the different body types plus armor. We already have a lot of object clipping in the game because the engine is a nightmare to work with and it is safe to say that they won't allocate resources and manpower to go through saber sheathing.

I don't like immersion breaking graphic glitches. There are some pretty bad ones on SWTOR, no doubt.

That being said, I think I am not so bothered by this though because overall I find enough appearances available without clipping issues that I can outfit my toons in.

Since you dislike this one, you surely understand there's probably some who actually do like the aesthetics of this being sheathed on the back. It's a matter of taste!

So, who are you to want this changed while some may actually like it? Instead, why not look at it like this: They made this dualsaber, you can't use it because it looks bad to you aesthetically.

Instead of expecting this item to be changed to something totally different (which they will never do btw!) why not just ask for a new dualsaber that doesn't sheathe on the back like this one! That way, you might get what you want, and you won't be poo-pooing on something someone else might like.

Anyway. Feel blessed! Here we are in the middle of a world-wide pandemic, and we are worrying on a SWTOR weapon being sheathed on the back or not. Good times.

FYI - there are "swords" that can be equipped by lightsaber users. These also can be either back-mounted or hip-mounted, so be sure to preview them. I discovered this the hard way so you don't have to. 🙂

And, suggestion for devs - in future (if not retroactively), rather than making one lightsaber mount on the back, and a different one hang from the hip, how about making two versions of the same lighsaber, one back-mount, one hip-mount. Maybe just call them the B and H versions.

Edited by JediQuaker

I don't like immersion breaking graphic glitches. There are some pretty bad ones on SWTOR, no doubt.

That being said, I think I am not so bothered by this though because overall I find enough appearances available without clipping issues that I can outfit my toons in.

Since you dislike this one, you surely understand there's probably some who actually do like the aesthetics of this being sheathed on the back. It's a matter of taste!

So, who are you to want this changed while some may actually like it? Instead, why not look at it like this: They made this dualsaber, you can't use it because it looks bad to you aesthetically.

Instead of expecting this item to be changed to something totally different (which they will never do btw!) why not just ask for a new dualsaber that doesn't sheathe on the back like this one! That way, you might get what you want, and you won't be poo-pooing on something someone else might like.

Anyway. Feel blessed! Here we are in the middle of a world-wide pandemic, and we are worrying on a SWTOR weapon being sheathed on the back or not. Good times.

Why are you acting like I'm trying to ruin something for other people? I literally said a few posts above that isn't my intention here. If some people like the back saber, fine, good for them. I already have given my suggestions on the matter and they do not involve making every saber the way I want it and only the way I want it. I said there should be an toggle option, or at the very least clearer information that this is a feature on the sabers that have it.