Heating problem.

Darth_Keno

I hear is well known issue that graphics card will heat up randomly during this game . It happens every few days to me. Someone know if they have a fix for this inc soon ?Or point me in the direction where it's been talked about. Edited by Darth_Keno

Lets see

Have a quadcore processor .

GTX 550 TI

4GB memory

Not all the great with PC lingo so if you need more then that ask.

It happens every few days my and for no reason I'll hear the fan speed up and get really loud

I'll hurry up and log out for a few mins and everything seems to be fine again.

I play Skyrim,Batman AC and Black ops on the side and never have this issue.

I was reading on another forum that it's a known issue.

Running on 2x4890 setup and having heat issues aswell, issues as in this game makes the core temps go up hihger than any other game I've played this year.

Does it happen like it does to me where it'll be fine for days then all of a sudden start doing it for no reason? Hope there's a fix for this inc.

Reason for overheat is because some hardware are taking more workload than others.

What you can do is either have a better cooling system for your PC. Or update the BIOS on your mainboard and update latest vga card drives and prey that the workload spreads equally througout GPU, CPU and rest of hardwares.

Edited by aerovihn

Reason for overheat is because some hardware are taking more workload than others.

What you can do is either have a better cooling system for your PC. Or update the BIOS on your mainboard and update latest vga card drives and prey that the workload spreads equally througout GPU, CPU and rest of hardwares.

Not entirely true. The coding can cause this if there is an issue ( i refer you to when Eve Online 's dock allowed runaway fps hit on the same spots on a cards memory causing the cards to literally burn up ) - Vanguard had this issue on launch on SOME cards as well, was a shader / shadow issue as I recall that they fixed in an update.

Keep reporting it as it happens , maybe they can run it down - I know my 9800GTX was hitting 94-98c in windowed mode - I had to hit triple buffering, full screen, drop shadows and bloom to get it to drop to an acceptable overall range, and yet - now I have lost FPS in game. Odd.

Btw - reason for the quote is I run an Antec 900 with 7 fans, and have adjusted it for both negative and positive pressure trying to drop the heat issue with hardware, and while positive pressure seems to work better on my configuration, its def not the fact I dont have enough cooling ...

Edited by Miyeko

• 2 months later...

I have this same exact issue.

Right now I am running a GTX570 SLI setup.

This game heats them up like no other game does.

The usual temperature while playing (even inside the character screen!) is about 70°C for one of my Graphics cards and 60°C for the other.

My cpu goes up as much as 60°C.

That itself is already way higher than usual but that's not all.

Sometimes, randomly, without any obvious reason, they all heat up a whooping 10°C more.

Peaking the graphics card at 80°C.

I keep beers in my computer case to keep the beers cold.

Then again, I designed and built the system to ensure it ran nice and chill.

If you're using a "namebrand" computer with bad airflow and garbage cooling, yah, you'll probably have a problem.

I keep beers in my computer case to keep the beers cold.

Then again, I designed and built the system to ensure it ran nice and chill.

If you're using a "namebrand" computer with bad airflow and garbage cooling, yah, you'll probably have a problem.

I am not running a namebrand computer with bad airflow and garbage cooling.

My system is running very cool outside of SWTOR.

As I said no other game has heated it up as much as this one.

They usually don't go above 40°C, 45° tops.

I am not running a namebrand computer with bad airflow and garbage cooling.

My system is running very cool outside of SWTOR.

As I said no other game has heated it up as much as this one.

They usually don't go above 40°C, 45° tops.

What's your CPU cooler?

I had a heat problem on the rig I used for game testing. I built it myself for gaming about 3 years before game test started. It had a good air-cooler on the CPU. I didn't do anything for cooling the video card. The case had good airflow. On a good day, it still heated my den up.

My current gaming rig uses a Corsair H60 closed-loop water cooler for the CPU. I don't have anything cooling the video card, which is a GTX 570. The airflow in the new rig is much improved, with 7 or 8 big fans running all the time. It runs so cool playing SWTOR that I'm frequently cold sitting next to it during the winter. When I put my hands over the exhaust fans, the air is not hot.

I have to believe the difference between the heat in the 2 rigs is a combination of the CPU cooler and airflow/fans.

*shrug* maybe that will give you a place to start?

I've read before that deleting certain .ini files after a patch fixed similar issues (the files will rewrite themselves after you start the game). I don't have a thread link, but I would suggest googling such a thing.

• 2 months later...

ok i did many test, my problem is a heating problem but only with SWTOR, Nvidia GTX 560 ti.

if i run on medium setting i get to much heat i crash

On lower setting i am at 40 C, at medium, over 60 C....... My pc run skyrim and othe game elike this at max or so setting w/o any problem.....

ok i did many test, my problem is a heating problem but only with SWTOR, Nvidia GTX 560 ti.

On lower setting i am at 40 C, at medium, over 60 C....... My pc run skyrim and othe game elike this at max or so setting w/o any problem.....

I run the same video card and I have zero issues. Everything on full. 24 celsius while standing on the fleet

hmm well that the only thing i can see, it probably linked with something else but at the end my gpu is heating

what's your motherboard and CPU? Also are you talking about CPU heat or GPU heat because 60 C is pretty good for your GPU

Edited by Skidrowbro

In fact gpu and the "core" follow it, it go to 60oC but i a keep playing it end i crash because it go higher and higher (if i alt tab it go down fast fast fast,

Mother board is the z68 GB.

LOL look at this answer....

"All of us here on the Star Wars: The Old Republic team would like to thank you for your support, and let you know that we really appreciate your feedback. We are glad your issue is now resolved by playing on low settings.

We are very lucky to have fans that share our enthusiasm for great games, and we hope that you will continue to enjoy yourself in Star Wars: The Old Republic!

Sincerely,

OMG it'snt even funny,

I understand why my subscription will not be renewed. Atleast he could had says : so far u can play we will look into this (i sended a lot of data to them..)

I know my english isnt very good

Id say make sure your drivers are up to date, and clean your computer, the latter is mainly because even if the fault lies with some code in SWTOR, its likely just pushing your gpu to 100% constantly and exposing a issue that is already there.

I have seen alot of these threads over time. Unfortuantely i have never once experience this issue. my cpu (intel 920 OC to 3.6 idles at 32-34c on warm days and runs up to 45 under load (swotor) this is the same with any other game i play. My gpu (470_ runs) about 450-50 idle 60-70 under load till the fan kicks up and sounds like a hair drier but never goes above 80 ( it is rated to run at 105 degree celcius).

Make sure you are getting an aircan and cleaning out dust. If you cpu/gpu is more than 6mo/year old, redo the thermal paste on it. Go away form stock coolers, the stock intel cooler lasts maybe a year when playing it hard the bearing just cant handle the higher speeds necessary for processor intensive game.

No game can make you card/cpu blow up. You have complete control of your cpu/gpu through tools provided.

Umm, lets see, SET VERTICAL SYNC TO ON!... I did have an issue with my card getting hot when running around doing nothing or on char select because there is no cap, Running at 130+ frames per second because the card could do that definately caused higher temperatures, but by setting vertical sync to ON it caps the maximum possible framerate to something more stable.

The problem with these types of issues is in the vast differences in hardware. My computer was designed with this very issue in mind. So my rig is over cooled and I never have temp issues. I suspect my evga bios bios does a lot to shift process management around too. I never see temps more than 42c on the vid and the cpu is even cooler than that.

Short of rebuilding your rig I don't know what more to offer. I hear you though in that this game demands more from the rig. I can definitely feel the room heat up when I play SW. You just need to get the air out of your case.