Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Please make a turnoff of that glowing icon over every vendor

Seterade

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In nameplates please let us turn off the bright glowing icon over vendor and NPCs.

I completely support this. Please stop dumping new broke stuff over the old broke stuff, and add this to the list of things that just need to be in the game.

• 1 month later...

I don't understand your problem with this at all. I like them particularly the one letting me I know I actually have mail.

I do understand the complaints about the giant conquest popup. If you are trying to make a video of game play they ruin the scene.

I don't understand your problem with this at all. I like them particularly the one letting me I know I actually have mail.

I do understand the complaints about the giant conquest popup. If you are trying to make a video of game play they ruin the scene.

As I said previously, if you use vendors in your stronghold, they ruin the entire look and have stopped me making videos/screenshots of mine. Many of us spent ages grinding for the expensive rep vendors, tokens for med vendors and the jawa ones to decorate our strongholds only to have the icons ruin everything. Videos and screenshots of strongholds require removal of vendors which as we all know, ends up removing all decs so there's no point.

Out in the world, vendor icons can be useful and the "you have mail" icon has always been helpful but for the love of stronghold decorators allow them to be turned off.

it's a eyesore when you have them in strongholds, can ruin the effect of your hard work, also off putting for some when RP'ing, or trying to be immersive. They are grand out in the world, especially with newer players, who are learning to navigate, which is why, having the option to turn them off is great, it's pleases everyone :)

Edit: Sarova beat me too it...lol

Edited by DarkGruffalo

Here's my opinion on why I don't think they will change/remove those icons or the banner pop ups.

From their perspective, they feel that if they make changes to the game based on a dozen folk's complaints on the forums, they'd be spending all their time changing stuff. You know what I mean? You're always going to have a client or customer that is not happy with something. Like say you own a restaurant and you paint signs on your windows. 6 customers might hate the color, so you change the color. Six more hate the writing, so you change the writing. Pretty soon, customers are demanding changes all the time. So, they can't/won't change these icons.

Now, maybe down the road with a new update maybe they'll update the icons or change the pop up banners.

This last little patch removed the pop ups during combat because that affected you controlling your character. Which I'm glad that they at least did that.

Here's my opinion on why I don't think they will change/remove those icons or the banner pop ups.

From their perspective, they feel that if they make changes to the game based on a dozen folk's complaints on the forums, they'd be spending all their time changing stuff. You know what I mean? You're always going to have a client or customer that is not happy with something. Like say you own a restaurant and you paint signs on your windows. 6 customers might hate the color, so you change the color. Six more hate the writing, so you change the writing. Pretty soon, customers are demanding changes all the time. So, they can't/won't change these icons.

Now, maybe down the road with a new update maybe they'll update the icons or change the pop up banners.

This last little patch removed the pop ups during combat because that affected you controlling your character. Which I'm glad that they at least did that.

That was a thing actually affecting gameplay, combat. What is this? UI is a mess, they don't want to touch it. It's gonna stay

That was a thing actually affecting gameplay, combat. What is this? UI is a mess, they don't want to touch it. It's gonna stay

They shouldn't have touched the vendors to begin with. If they are going to add garish crap they should add a way to disable it at the same time.

They shouldn't have touched the vendors to begin with. If they are going to add garish crap they should add a way to disable it at the same time.

But again, in their mind, it's the way they're displaying the look of their game. This is how they are presenting it to the gamer.

If someone walked up to you on the street and said, "Change your shirt! It's ugly." I doubt you'll change your shirt. This is their "version" of a Star Wars game.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're ugly too. I hate the banners and the icons, but these are here to stay.

As I said previously, if you use vendors in your stronghold, they ruin the entire look and have stopped me making videos/screenshots of mine. Many of us spent ages grinding for the expensive rep vendors, tokens for med vendors and the jawa ones to decorate our strongholds only to have the icons ruin everything. Videos and screenshots of strongholds require removal of vendors which as we all know, ends up removing all decs so there's no point.

Out in the world, vendor icons can be useful and the "you have mail" icon has always been helpful but for the love of stronghold decorators allow them to be turned off.

It isn't just stronghold decorators. Anyone that likes to take screenshots of the game world is now stuck with those awful icons? Did people really have trouble finding vendors before? I think if players found them easily for 8 years prior, then there was no need to insert those icons, at least not without the option of them to be able to be hidden.

If someone walked up to you on the street and said, "Change your shirt! It's ugly." I doubt you'll change your shirt. This is their "version" of a Star Wars game.

there is a big difference, we are paying for this game, they are working because of our money, wether it's subs, or Cm stuff, that's what keeps them in employment. A random person commenting on our clothes means sweet FA.

But again, in their mind, it's the way they're displaying the look of their game. This is how they are presenting it to the gamer.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're ugly too. I hate the banners and the icons, but these are here to stay.

The whole point of having all of the preferences and the UI editor is to allow players to adjust the look of the game. Not allowing players any control over the UI is fairly recent and a huge step backwards. I expect you are right. I don't think they have any programmers left who are capable of working with preferences or the UI editor.

If the person asking me to change my shirt had hired me to model something aesthetically pleasing, I would change my shirt. This game is a product that they are trying to sell, and a big part of their income is based on aesthetics. If they want people to continue buying all of those pricey decoration packs, they darn well should avoid alienating their die hard decorators.

Did people really have trouble finding vendors before? I think if players found them easily for 8 years prior, then there was no need to insert those icons, at least not without the option of them to be able to be hidden.

This is what I can't understand - we had vendors for years without all of them having giant boxes over their heads, so why add them? What's worse is there was majority feedback that they were awful during the PTS when they were first added and not one dev acknowledged us so it's a "feature" the Devs want and stuff the rest of us :( I hope they have a rethink and add an off/on ability.

This is what I can't understand - we had vendors for years without all of them having giant boxes over their heads, so why add them? What's worse is there was majority feedback that they were awful during the PTS when they were first added and not one dev acknowledged us so it's a "feature" the Devs want and stuff the rest of us :( I hope they have a rethink and add an off/on ability.

unfortunately they don't take much notice of what's said on the pts, plenty of issues have been raised before, and it has still gone live. Despite them saying they look for out feedback, they seem to ignore most of it.

I'm starting to think a huge number of players will have to petition EA directly to allocate more resources and personnel to SWTOR, because it's obvious that they don't have the staff and money to fix longstanding, unacceptable bugs because of poor coding documentation (No one current staff member apparently currently knows how coding for certain features of the game work as well as the entire team being deathly afraid of breaking vanilla if they try to fix any longstanding bugs.) or carry out sound suggestions from the playerbase. They go unacknowledged or payed lip service, if not downright ignored. Even though the game turns a profit, a very large portion of that money does not seem to be being reinvested into the game and instead, allocated elsewhere in EA (Anthem and other projects). The evidence unfortunately continues to pile up in favor of this.

And we all know how successful internet petitions are.

And nothing short of an activist shareholder would change how EA is run as a whole.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.