The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Nautolans feedback

DarthCasus

Wanted to give some feedback on Nautolans in general and the progress made since their first iteration on the PTS. Great work! I love how they've come together and have a broad variety of options as compared to my sad Cat brethren and squid overlords (Twileks).

Concerns:

1. More than half of the faces look ripped off of an Advozse or have super big lips for no reason on males. Don't get me wrong, they look well polished and the number of customization options are great (though still in line with what I jokingly stated not long ago :D) but these same things made variety between Twileks for example, feel very limited.

2. The females look great in creation but look like they have smaller heads in cutscenes though I'd expect that to be more of a thing I have to get used to at the moment. Most likely the latter. But this also shows in the character sheet as well. Proportions may be just a tad off or the new UI makes everything look a bit more slender and stretched.

3. The wild amount of clipping. I know we all expected and accept it as part of the game at this point but for Nauloans and Twileks to another degree, it's not.. good. I think it should be said that any work done to work around this would be immensely appreciated and any word of potential attempts would be GREATLY appreciated, even if they don't work out.

4. They have permanent smiles. Like, all of them.

5. In character customization menu (using the terminal), certain highlights stick out like purple eye sockets, the lips and parts around their lekku. May just be a PTS thing but I figured I'd point it out. This was consistent among 3 different Nautolan toons.

At some point, someone from Bioware mentioned changes for Twileks or more customization. This was taken as a possible hint toward fixing up, changing or adding lekku customizations to deal with clipping in some instances. It'd be great to know if that assumption was correct or anywhere near that. Being that Nautolans are to be a key role in Onslaught, I hope that this small amount of feedback is taken into account going forward or at least is the continuation of dialogue concerning alien species customization. Thanks!

1. More than half of the faces look ripped off of an Advozse

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

5. In character customization menu (using the terminal), certain highlights stick out like purple eye sockets, the lips and parts around their lekku.

Is "lekku" the right word? In-game, Nik the Whiner on Coruscant calls them (referring to Ria's, not his own) "tresses".

(It's a serious question, not needless nitpicking. If they are correctly called "lekku", then OK, but that would make me wonder why Nik calls them "tresses".)

So far I'm impressed with what they did with the Nautolans. SO much better then the Togruta. But I agree they need more face options, markings, and eye colors. I also like how their head tails (I don't know what they're called on the Nautolans) aren't stiff like their npc counterparts. But yeah I wish they'd fix the clipping issue on them. And yeah fix their head size, because that's a bit disconcerting as well as distracting. I really like the options for the head tail arrangements, it proves they can do the same for the long ignored Twi'lek. I like that so far they don't look like copy pasted humans with a fancy weird headdress (Togruta.) I also hope they will implement dialogue to match. For example when you create a Cathar the npcs don't recognize you as such. It takes the immersion away which is odd for such a story driven game.

I also hope they will implement dialogue to match. For example when you create a Cathar the npcs don't recognize you as such. It takes the immersion away which is odd for such a story driven game.

The only one that's really weird if they don't fix it is what Koth or Senya say in KotFE Chapter VII when Thea interrupts the Exalted.

Koth (thoughtful): I think I've seen one like that before, back in your part of the galaxy.

Senya: I've never seen a species like that before.

Koth's line could conceivably be interpreted as him yanking your chain if you're a Nautolan, but Senya's line is just complete nonsense (she's supposed to be Ruthless Enforcer Senya at this point).

It's much worse than the Stolen Medicines mission on Ord Mantell, which is not a main-line story, and is only accessible by two classes, or the various things that Aric Jorgan says to a flirty female Cathar Trooper, as if she isn't Cathar. KotFE-VII is main-line story for *everyone*.

Disclaimer: I haven't forgotten about Nik the Whiner on Coruscant, but he already has different lines for humans/cyborgs versus other species, and his "for aliens" line is adequate if the player is a Nautolan.

The only one that's really weird if they don't fix it is what Koth or Senya say in KotFE Chapter VII when Thea interrupts the Exalted.

Koth (thoughtful): I think I've seen one like that before, back in your part of the galaxy.

Senya: I've never seen a species like that before.

Koth's line could conceivably be interpreted as him yanking your chain if you're a Nautolan, but Senya's line is just complete nonsense (she's supposed to be Ruthless Enforcer Senya at this point).

It's much worse than the Stolen Medicines mission on Ord Mantell, which is not a main-line story, and is only accessible by two classes, or the various things that Aric Jorgan says to a flirty female Cathar Trooper, as if she isn't Cathar. KotFE-VII is main-line story for *everyone*.

Disclaimer: I haven't forgotten about Nik the Whiner on Coruscant, but he already has different lines for humans/cyborgs versus other species, and his "for aliens" line is adequate if the player is a Nautolan.

That's true. But yeah Senya's response would be out of place for a Nauolan player. Koth on the other hand, most people don't really pay too much attention to him and take what he says with a grain of salt. His is pretty true to form as he says unintelligent things most of the time. Still would be neat to see the dialogue change for other classes but not as big of a deal.

I really like the Nautolan npcs models there are ingame, so i was quite happy when it was announced they were the next player race (still hoping for the Voss someday). However the design we have at the moment, in the character creation just seems off, face too big, huge lips on some, some eyes seem like someone glued lenses on the face, it just seems weird all in all. I like the varied leku (not sure if it's the right term tho) options, even if the ponytail seems strange.

Since they're only on one class so far, hopefully they'll be improved. I would like my character to be similar to the npcs, but i don't think i can do it with the current options.

Is "lekku" the right word? In-game, Nik the Whiner on Coruscant calls them (referring to Ria's, not his own) "tresses".

(It's a serious question, not needless nitpicking. If they are correctly called "lekku", then OK, but that would make me wonder why Nik calls them "tresses".)

You're right, I've just become accustomed to calling any 'headtails' lekku in recent years tbh.

I was going to make a jedi sage nautolan but all I got was a togruta. Is this happening to anyone else?

Nautolans are only fully-implemented during character creation for some of the basic classes.

It looks as though the only one where the customizations really are available and Nautolan heads show up when you care about them (at least from what I've seen so far) is Bounty Hunter.

We might see something different in a future patch....but for now BH. And yes, that means your tresses/headtails need to be in some sort of a wrap and still might clip with bulkier heavy armor.

With all the new scarring and the different tails/lekku/tresses I can see that a lot of work has been put into them, but there are still some issues:

The head/body ratio is still a little off with the females, especially with BT3 and 4; they kinda remind me of Eatthworm Jim.

Some of them look like they've had a severe reaction to a bee sting.

Will the skyline reflected in the eyes carry over to live? It's harking back to EyeGate that we had a few years back.

The "Pony tail" style of tresses needs some kind of banding around it.

• 5 weeks later...

The Female Nautolan's heads are too small, really out of proportion with the body sizes. Looks very weird, but surely that's an easy fix.

I was hoping they would look more like the NPC's. But, if they can fix the glaring size problem, I still think they look pretty good.