ranked on SS?

Belpheghor

Hey guys, currently have my main toons on Star Forge but probably because of the large RP pop stuff like ranked isn't that popular, wonder if ranked pops on SS during the daytime?

Thinking about doing a transfer but figured I'd pick your brains, p.s. I mostly play early afternoon hours because of work PDT.

Hey guys, currently have my main toons on Star Forge but probably because of the large RP pop stuff like ranked isn't that popular, wonder if ranked pops on SS during the daytime?

Thinking about doing a transfer but figured I'd pick your brains, p.s. I mostly play early afternoon hours because of work PDT.

First, you're unlikely to get steady ranked pops in the early afternoon on either server.

Second, I've never played on SS, but my impression is that Star Forge has the larger ranked population. There was a time a few months ago when people flocked from SS to SF to play ranked. More recently, I think there has been some migration back to SS. I don't think there are many people that play ranked regularly on both servers, so you're unlikely to get a comprehensive answer.

But here are some numbers from the leaderboards:

Total solo ranked characters on SF: 5365

Total solo ranked characters on SS: 4768

Edited by JediMasterAlex

SS solos pop regularly starting around 12am EST (as you might expect).

SS tends to have more trinity pops, and my tank friend says they don't TT over there out of a sort of gentleman's agreement (as opposed to SF where most of his toons are). thus, my impression is that SS is better for tanks (and therefore healers).

the games I watched last night (1am-2am EST) on shek's stream were the same 10-ish players mixed together, sometime with healers (not particularly good one), and I don't recall seeing tanks.

some SS players have migrated toons to SF, and a few that I recognize regularly complain about the lower caliber of SF. I don't watch enough of SS to verify that, but I can say DM matches do appear to be of higher average quality (overall skill/competence of everyone on each team).

if you really want to play in the early afternoon EST, and not win-trade, you might be better served on DM. also keep in mind that the xpack and season are nearly at an end, and the solo population (at least on SF) has shrunk or at least changed so that maybe half the regular players I saw there a month ago are still regular now. there are more fresh faces, but that's also more 230 geared healers and mandos running in with a guard and popping reflect.

SS solos pop regularly starting around 12am EST (as you might expect).

SS tends to have more trinity pops, and my tank friend says they don't TT over there out of a sort of gentleman's agreement (as opposed to SF where most of his toons are). thus, my impression is that SS is better for tanks (and therefore healers).

the games I watched last night (1am-2am EST) on shek's stream were the same 10-ish players mixed together, sometime with healers (not particularly good one), and I don't recall seeing tanks.

some SS players have migrated toons to SF, and a few that I recognize regularly complain about the lower caliber of SF. I don't watch enough of SS to verify that, but I can say DM matches do appear to be of higher average quality (overall skill/competence of everyone on each team).

if you really want to play in the early afternoon EST, and not win-trade, you might be better served on DM. also keep in mind that the xpack and season are nearly at an end, and the solo population (at least on SF) has shrunk or at least changed so that maybe half the regular players I saw there a month ago are still regular now. there are more fresh faces, but that's also more 230 geared healers and mandos running in with a guard and popping reflect.

DM is a good idea, since EU is 8ish hours ahead, but can we transfer toons to the EU servers?

my tank friend says they don't TT over there out of a sort of gentleman's agreement (as opposed to SF where most of his toons are). thus, my impression is that SS is better for tanks (and therefore healers).

Not to derail the thread but...if it's true that players on SS don't ever TT, that's an indictment of them, not a good thing. Most often, tunneling the tank is not the best strategy, but sometimes it can be quite effective depending on comps/specs.

Moreover, anyone who complains about TT, especially tanks, are stupid cry babies, plain and simple. People that like to pretend tunneling the tank is "lame" and that switching targets when you see guard put on is some highly skilled move are laughable.

some do. and they get flamed and flagged for it. I have definitely seen a more united front against those who TT on SS. I have also seen more VG/PT on SS, prolly for this reason. although I think there are more dps VG/PT as well. I haven't ranked over there. this just watching streams and talking a lot with a guildy who tanked over there for his comms grind.

anyway, I'm just relaying my experience not judging either way.