Warzone leaving needs a time penalty

Joaina

• 3 weeks later...

I can understand the frustration. Some games do get plagued by premature leaving, and that can be frustrating if the match was still winnable. An example would be a Voidstar where the teams are relatively balanced but people start dropping the moment the first door gets capped, leaving the rest of the team to try and prevent caps at the next stages while short 2 or 3 players who haven't been replaced by backfills yet.

We've also been part of matches that got off to a poor start and turned around, or were turned around after you backfilled. People absolutely do often quit way too soon in this game.

That said I don't think there should be a penalty for dropping. There are too many legitimate reasons for leaving a warzone match and an automated system isn't going to be able to tell the difference. I can't fault people who leave when they're against a team with 2 or 3 healers and none of their own, Huttball matches where their team just running numbers at mid and letting the other team score (Vandin is particularly bad for that), match types they just don't want to play (there is no match select option, so quitting is their only option), or they're just grouped with idiots who are turning Ops Chat into an open sewer. Add to that RL things that come up, connection problems, people who accidentally queue without their full gear set and don't realize until the match starts, ect, ect.

Also...any sort of drop penalty would just create more problems than the one you seek to solve. All those people who would have dropped before will now just go AFK somewhere. That is worse. At least with drops you might get a few timely backfills who are better than the people they're replacing.

The only changes that need to be implemented in regards to drops is that in an all DPS arena drops shouldn't be replaced by a tank or healer, and backfills shouldn't be loaded in to matches that are in the final stretch. While the latter isn't bad if you're just looking to knock out your daily or weekly, it can screw over preferred players who aren't premading. Once while I was preferred I backfilled into four matches in a row that that were about 1:00 from finishing.

Maybe the best solution would be to not have backfilling count against the 5 warzones per character, per week that preferred players are allowed. Subs who wouldn't want to lose the quick daily completion would still get that.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco