Ordan commando pvp video

Ordan-ordane

Hello everyone,

I realised my first ever video edit in pvp and i would like to share with you the result :

I play as a commando (Arsenal) on the french server "leviathan", but i plan to move soon on the server Darth malgus.

I recorded with Nvidia shadowplay and i did the "montage" with shotcut.

Feel free to give me any critics or advices and maybe see you soon !

Edited by Ordan-ordane

Not bad. @5:33 that 38.8k + 25k + 14k was juicy! Lucky crit procs.

A few things:

1) You didn't use Decoy at all. Looks like it's not even bound to a key. Major DCD that you are not utilizing. Absorbs 2 Tech/Force attacks completely. Had you been on the receiving end of that almost 40k Explosive Round and timed it correctly, it could be completely absorbed by Decoy. In IO/AS, it gives 35% Defense Chance for a few seconds which allows it to potentially resist cc as well as damage. I prefer the IO version. Sadly, nothing for heal spec

2) You don't have any Warzone Damage Reduction Stims (blue). It gives you 15% Damage Reduction for a few seconds. I always use mine when I Kolto Overload so it makes it harder for enemies to burst through it. If I remember correctly, it loses value if you use it with Energy Shield as the 2 percentages 25%/15% stack multiplicative and not additive. Meaning: .25 * .15 < .25 + .15. So never use them together to get full value.

3) If you have no Defensive Cooldowns left and no more healing, you can click off Energy Shield from your buff bar to trigger the healing early if you have stacks. This will allow you to squeeze in a few more GCDs to potentially get another DCD back or get the killing blow. If you are at 10 stacks and need the healing instead of the Damage Reduction, click it off. Very important to remember!

4) This tactic is my most favorite of all. If I am playing capping objectives such as Void Star or ACW, or Hypergate and I'm going to die to a single enemy or multiple, I always try to make my last GCD the Sticky Grenade. It has a few second delay on the AOE explosion. The explosion usually interrupts all the channels and buys 1-3 more seconds for teammates to get there. You'd be surprised by how many times this saves your objective.

5) This only applies to Commandos and is a bug but E-net works through Shroud.

I also just starting making videos of my Mercenary gameplay, sometimes PT.

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdYrALX70uf4_3czGZK-B0g

Hi tanks for the comment, way more helpfull than the previous one ;)

I must admit for decoy i had no idea (should have pay more attention to my "skills modifications".

For the other stim that reduce cd, i believed that the cd was shared with the 35%health and i thought that it would be better to use the heal. What a fool...

I play since 5 months and i never tried both of it^^.

I found two new bindings for them ;)

It will be a really great improvement in pvp.

I am starting to play also with the grenades (the craft ones which are used to stun in aoe).

Thanks for the tips.

Edited by Ordan-ordane

Pretty good foundation. Good knowledge of your own and other class's DCD's. You're already better than most mercs out there. Couple of pieces to take your game from good to great though...

snip

Most of what was said here is covers the class specifics. The only thing I would add is that you should use your root more. On the mando side there's a utility in the first tier called Concussive Force which roots the target when using explosive round. This ability helps a lot with kiting. Which leads me into my second point of critique....

Kiting and positioning is a extremely useful skill to have in PvP. Kiting and position is a universal PvP skill in the game, it just varies in difficulty depending on which class you're playing. Fortunately, kiting on merc is on the easier side then other classes. But because merc's have so many OP defensives, most bad mercs only know how to facetank.

The best way to learn how to position is to just become more aware of your surroundings. It'll take time to learn where and when to position and kite, but the best way is to start looking for places where you can LOS. During your video I realized that you fight a lot out in the open. Don't. Let your enemies fight out in the open while you hug the boxes. Dip in and out behind the pillars. You're a ranged class so you can give use your 30 meters of space to dictate where you want to fight. Throw your big hitting abilities out, and then hide behind a box, get 2 or 3 heals off, and then throw some more attacks out. You'll realize that the small quick little heals that you do behind a box will greatly help you stay alive. Merc DCDs are extremely strong, but if you learn to save them (by doing a tiny bit of kiting in the middle of fights) them you'll be even stronger. You won't be panicking, running, and hiding at the end of the fights.

So when your enemies realize they can't attack you easily, you have gotten so good at LOSing behind pillars, and dipping in and out of the fight, your enemies will start to chase you. This is where you start using your knockback, explosive round root, net, stun, rocket out, and mezz. You'll find these abilities just as strong as your big DCDs

Edited by septru

If I remember correctly, it loses value if you use it with Energy Shield as the 2 percentages 25%/15% stack multiplicative and not additive. Meaning: .25 * .15 < .25 + .15. So never use them together to get full value.

But that is with most DR in the game, right? I can't remember exactly, but I think the only DR in the game that is additive is a warrior's saber ward because it is 2 different types of DR. Most DR is multiplicative. But sometimes you need to pop both to survive. Like on operative when I get netted I pop stimboost and adrenal so that I don't have to use my breaker. I don't think I could survive it with just stimboost.

.25<.25*.15

5) This only applies to Commandos and is a bug but E-net works through Shroud.

Commando net is broken and goes through everything it shouldn't. Roll. Shroud, Rocket out. Mad dash. Everything.

The only thing I would add is that you should use your root more. On the mando side there's a utility in the first tier called Concussive Force which roots the target when using explosive round. This ability helps a lot with kiting. Which leads me into my second point of critique....

I already use it a lot already, but i didn't pointed out in the vidéo (except the one in the fire).

For examples, i used it in the first clip several times to kite (at the end of the first clip it helps me gaining some times for running becauses he is rooted, or in the last clip.

Recently, i've been using more LOS for healing and preserve my DCD (keep them for the 1v2 etc) so i can get some new clip soon ;)