Mesh the story lines....

Nightxeme

This game, I'm sure, relies heavily on its RP community. Who else is spending money for your outfits and dyes? And...YOU HAVE DUAL PATHS WITH 5.10. What is wrong with you? Do you realize how this implicates and impacts those of us who DO roleplay? Why would you put something out that places people in a situation that they can not PLAY according to YOUR LORE?

I would think that choices mattering would be important to RP'ers. If choices matter then we have to accept that for some Acina is Empress and others Vawrawn is Emperor (just to pick one example from many in this game). Otherwise, what would it matter if one sided with Acina if she's just going to be hand-waved to death?

This game, I'm sure, relies heavily on its RP community. Who else is spending money for your outfits and dyes? And...YOU HAVE DUAL PATHS WITH 5.10. What is wrong with you? Do you realize how this implicates and impacts those of us who DO roleplay? Why would you put something out that places people in a situation that they can not PLAY according to YOUR LORE?

That's a terrifyingly extravagant statement. And the fundamental thesis is wrong anyway.

The "division" of the "state of the galaxy" (i.e. the RP context) began with the player's actions at least as early as War on Iokath. RP *on* Zakuul is divided by the actions of the player in KotFE Chapter III, ffs, so yes, earlier. Heck, you can safely argue that the following (spoilerish) things "fractured" the galaxy by the end of the original class stories:

* General Rakton: murdered by the Trooper, survived and swapped in a prisoner exchange, survived and retained by the Republic.

* Khem Val's body: inhabited by Khem or inhabited by Zash

* The Voidwolf's fleet: fighting for the Republic, fighting for the Empire, employed by a crime lord for his personal ends.

* Leontyne Saresh's predecessor in the role of Chancellor: murdered by the Bounty Hunter or sent into hiding/exile.

These are just a few examples. Granted, in some cases, the difference isn't important, but the galaxy is, indeed, fractured by then.

And this division of the state of the galaxy (and its impact on RPers) has been discussed before.

My analysis remains the same now as it was then.

You can, indeed, play according to BioWare's lore(1), but you must agree among yourselves, either on an on-going or a per-session basis, which branch of BWlore you are using. Did the reactor blow or get shut down, and so on. Choose one and RP according to that being the case.

Or you agree to RP at a moment in time before the significant fractures happened. Maybe for your RP, the things I mentioned above don't matter, so you can place your "moment" somewhere before War on Iokath and avoid the most impactful items. But it *is* possible to RP in the current game. Choose carefully, and all will be well.

(1) No. Not "according to", but rather "in the context of". Almost by definition, the events that occur in your RP are outside of BioWare's lore. You might make reference to BioWare's lore (e.g. by mentioning the name of prominent citizens of the Republic or the Empire(2)), but BioWare's lore remains, as it should, unaffected by your RP.

(2) It's particularly important for the Empire, since the word you use to refer to the ruler depends on who it is: Emperor or Empress, since the two main candidates at the moment (before 5.10) aren't of the same sex, it matters which path the players took.

This game, I'm sure, relies heavily on its RP community. Who else is spending money for your outfits and dyes? <snip>

Apparently I'm an RPer and I didn't even know it. Thank goodness the OP came along to point out that only RPers spend money for outfits and dyes in this game or I'd never have realised.

Personally I felt the original story telling(Up to level 50) was great for RP in there were separate basic frameworks that let you interact with other players correctly without the need to relay everything about them.

Instead of cut scene choices matter like in KOTFE, the choices in the 1-50 content were focused on being about how your character handled situations. It felt much better.

I'm not sure what the original poster's idea is.

I would say that if you switch faction, it SHOULD switch your faction in game. That way you interact with those of your storyline's faction.

It only affects those that follow the game's storyline not the ones that don't. I know for our guilds we don't. We use bits and pieces for our guild but have created our own story so we are not doing the same thing every other guild does. We like to be different so the fact that is two story lines really doesn't bother us.

I would say that if you switch faction, it SHOULD switch your faction in game. That way you interact with those of your storyline's faction.

I haven't been able to be on the PTS, but I'm assuming this is not the case then. I agree it should be like that, and this is what I thought maybe the thread author was talking about. Too much of a change for a non-expansion patch though. (If they had been less experimental with the new gear however... ._. )

As others have pointed out, stories with different outcomes are nothing new. Even in vanilla class stories one had all the players of the same class becoming the same unique title, or lone apprentice to the same person etc. It can't really be avoided. When we RP we have to make own sub-lore. For story reasons having choices is good.

On a related note, vanilla-style class-specific stories offer more diversity in addition to being more fun. We do get different stories for Imps and Reps now, but I'm hoping any new story at least has cutscenes and story better tailored to the different classes, so that force users can use the force, tech users can use tech etc. So they can be what they actually are. The lack of that is something that irritates me and destroys my role immersion in the KotFEET stories. (For example my very powerful Sith Lord being pushed around by a comparatively medium level force user, or jumping across a gap like a normal pleb rather than using the force (while weaker NPCs use the force), or my agent being involved in and surviving powerful force-stuff etc.)

Edited by Neulwen