Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Looking to build a machine?

Mponciu

i paid $3000 for my laptop so the i7 and 2gb gts 360 look after it :p it just gets scary playing for multiple hours. it gets so hot that my nvidia 3D sticker is sliding off :p. its not even close to being worth it buying a gaming computer. you can build one for half the price. you might not get a i7 processor or a blu ray drive but the money you save is worth it! just my 0.02

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

step 1 - go to store

step 2 - pay more than $500 for new computer

step 3 - enjoy

Alternatively.

Step one Buy Nortons,

Step two, back everyting up in the cloud.

Step three, stop worrying and dont put a hover inside the machine to get the dust out and all should be fine.

also there is next to no reason to run ssd's as raid. they are fast enough.

Edited by Shingara

i everyone, I am hoping to get some help.

So I am looking to upgrade my Graphics card as it is awful, It is a Hd 5450, So I am looking to upgrade it to either the Ati Radeon 6850 or 6870 are these good cards are they worth the price?

So My motherboard is a ASrock M3A UCC hope that helps.

I need to upgrade my psu as I need one that has 2 external power cables to plug into the graphics cards, so what is the most cost effective one?

also I have 4gb ram looking to upgrade it, is it worth it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

I just upgraded my video from a Radeon 4670 to 8670 and it plays the game great so either of those cards should be good. The xx70's tend to have the faster clock speeds so they may be worth the extra money.

As for the power supply. You shouldn't need to replace it. My Saphire card came with an adaptor cable for the power.

If you are still interested in a Power Supply. Always buy more power supply than your system uses. Reason being power supplies run close to their rate power will wear out quicker. And don't skimp on a Power Supply, you should be buying a plus 80 rated power supply from Antec or another known manufacturer. Avoid the cheap power supplies usually sold in cases.

Alternatively.

Step one Buy Nortons,

Step two, back everyting up in the cloud.

Step three, stop worrying and dont put a hover inside the machine to get the dust out and all should be fine.

also there is next to no reason to run ssd's as raid. they are fast enough.

Well SSDs in a Raid is a good idea but RAID 0 isn't a RAID. He would have been better off to buy 4 Raptors and RAID 10 them. Probably would have cost about the same and the reliability would go way up.

Well SSDs in a Raid is a good idea but RAID 0 isn't a RAID. He would have been better off to buy 4 Raptors and RAID 10 them. Probably would have cost about the same and the reliability would go way up.

No its not, whats good and alot cheaper is to get a storage drive togo with your ssd which is what normal people do, get a great ssd and a ok hdd like a western dig green and mirror the ssd onto the storage.

Ow ps, the term raid sorta is a hint that its a raid.

Edited by Shingara

This is the rig I personally built for gaming (with this game in mind mostly), and it makes me extremely happy without going insanely overboard, but still one hell of a beast:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T

Heatsink/Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

Mobo: ASUS M4A89TD PRO

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series 650TX

SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 120GB

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

GFX: nVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti

Case: Antec Nine Hundred

Mouse: RAZER Naga

Keyboard: Logitech 510

I love it.

Ees my baby.

Anyone here have the new AMD FX-8150 8-core? Or is the Intel i5/i7 a much better product? Also how will those processors perform in Windows 8?

Does it matter? Windows 8 is not ready for primetime even if they a going to release it in the Fall. They are saying windows 8 is going to go the way of Vista. No good reason to upgrade to it.

Does SWTOR even play in WIndows 8?

Does it matter? Windows 8 is not ready for primetime even if they a going to release it in the Fall. They are saying windows 8 is going to go the way of Vista. No good reason to upgrade to it.

Does SWTOR even play in WIndows 8?

Just in the market for a new PC and want to look at the purchase as an investment. If the AMD performs better than the Intel counterpart then I'll purchase it now even if it's W7 numbers are not great but it's W8 numbers are much better.

So I just came back from researching this and apparently the AMD will have a performance gain but still be left in the dust to the Intel core i5, the i7 just puts the hurtin on the AMD. I guess that answers my question.

Anyone here have the new AMD FX-8150 8-core? Or is the Intel i5/i7 a much better product? Also how will those processors perform in Windows 8?

For most games to date you only really need a quad core processor.

6-coreif you just want it to be better all around and if you do some hefty video/photo editing with higher end programs.

Honestly, if all you're going to do with it is game, there's no need to get the new 8-core processor, lone for bragging rights.

No its not, whats good and alot cheaper is to get a storage drive togo with your ssd which is what normal people do, get a great ssd and a ok hdd like a western dig green and mirror the ssd onto the storage.

Ow ps, the term raid sorta is a hint that its a raid.

RAID 0 by definition is not a Redundant Array of Individual Disks.

If you mirror your ssd onto your storage drive you will be lowering it's performance. Reads against the array will use either drive and writes will use both. Since one drive is slower than the other, the speed of the array will be slowed down. BTW I used to build and sell RAID arrays so you probably want stop talking now.

Just in the market for a new PC and want to look at the purchase as an investment. If the AMD performs better than the Intel counterpart then I'll purchase it now even if it's W7 numbers are not great but it's W8 numbers are much better.

So I just came back from researching this and apparently the AMD will have a performance gain but still be left in the dust to the Intel core i5, the i7 just puts the hurtin on the AMD. I guess that answers my question.

Not really, u see it totaly depends what there doing and the intels spring forward when it comes to overclocking. The bulldozers are fine and do there jobs well. if you interested in the idea of them then hold off for a bit because the ones out now are the 1st phase to be released and there are suppossed to be more powerful ones coming this year.

AMD won't give you the best performance but it should give you the best bang for your buck.

Edited by JerokTalram

RAID 0 by definition is not a Redundant Array of Individual Disks.

If you mirror your ssd onto your storage drive you will be lowering it's performance. Reads against the array will use either drive and writes will use both. Since one drive is slower than the other, the speed of the array will be slowed down. BTW I used to build and sell RAID arrays so you probably want stop talking now.

You have no idea what a mirror is do you. its a image of the ssd stored in compression on the storage drive. also its about time you get off your horse because raid 0 still has to be setup via bios to run as a raid setting which tada is a freaking raid.

and raid zero is basically wasting cash, for what it costs to back up a drive compared to buying a drive to never use and only have as backup is pointless and not worth it for a gaming machine.

Edited by Shingara

You have no idea what a mirror is do you. its a image of the ssd stored in compression on the storage drive. also its about time you get off your horse because raid 0 still has to be setup via bios to run as a raid setting which tada is a freaking raid.

Oh I thought you were talking about mirroring the drive with a partition on the storage. Imaging or Ghosting the drive is another matter.

AMD won't give you the best performance but it should give you the best bang for your buck.

AMD tends to run cooler than an equal Intel from what I've seen.

Otherwise processor choice is merely a matter of preference.

I don't care for Intels myself, and lean towards AMD much much much more.

AMD tends to run cooler than an equal Intel from what I've seen.

Otherwise processor choice is merely a matter of preference.

I don't care for Intels myself, and lean towards AMD much much much more.

I also find that £-£ that amd is more powerful not to mention more forgiving not only when you oc but also when you buy other comp parts when building the machine yet again £-£

and raid zero is basically wasting cash, for what it costs to back up a drive compared to buying a drive to never use and only have as backup is pointless and not worth it for a gaming machine.

That would be raid 1 and it isn't wasting time. It's called rundancy. Now in the case of a gamers box with an SSD that just has games installed on it. Backing it up or Imaging the drive is an adequate solution. Now if you were storing personal data on that SSD, redundancy protects you in between your backups. Keeps working on a Sunday when one drive fails and the store is closed.

As for this being a game machine. All I did was say that RAID 0 is risky and that if you want extra performance go with RAID 10 as it has Redundancy and Fault tolerance to go with extra speed.

I also find that £-£ that amd is more powerful not to mention more forgiving not only when you oc but also when you buy other comp parts when building the machine yet again £-£

Basically yeah.

My AMD is a beast of a processor for 6-cores and runs so frosty it's sinful.

I paid less than I would have for it's Intel counterpart and get some amazing performance out of it!

That would be raid 1 and it isn't wasting time. It's called rundancy. Now in the case of a gamers box with an SSD that just has games installed on it. Backing it up or Imaging the drive is an adequate solution. Now if you were storing personal data on that SSD, redundancy protects you in between your backups. Keeps working on a Sunday when one drive fails and the store is closed.

As for this being a game machine. All I did was say that RAID 0 is risky and that if you want extra performance go with RAID 10 as it has Redundancy and Fault tolerance to go with extra speed.

And at the end of the day its still pointless running a set of ssd's in any raid for the performance and protection you shall get, not to mention that in any raids then you semi lock your pc to those drives and any extra drives you wish to put in the machine are then tried tobe added to the already existing raid.

The best option for a drive setup is to run it with a SSD as the boot up drive and then have a western dig green or black 2tb HDD as your storage drive. To place your main programs on SSD and all music and extras onto the storage. Then have your computer store everything to the cloud once a week and to mirror the ssd onto the hdd when ever you make a big change to the ssd.

This option then lets you add any more drives you wish to add at a later date and also allows for hdd docks.

Edited by Shingara

Basically yeah.

My AMD is a beast of a processor for 6-cores and runs so frosty it's sinful.

I paid less than I would have for it's Intel counterpart and get some amazing performance out of it!

Forgot this on the last bit :p you will also find with amd that they are alot easier to upgrade old cpus whilst still using your old mb, for example am2 can run really old cpus right upto i think its 1090t blacks and the AM3's can run all phen 2 i think and is set for all fx bulldozer chips and the torrence to ram speed is alot better. I could be wrong here but i think AM2+ mbs can run bulldozers too.

Im pretty sure that intel makes you buy a new board for every new cpu.

Edited by Shingara

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.