Scared to roll Sith Marauder? Any Advice?

Sjkemp

Maybe before thinking about going Marauder I shouldn't of come onto the forums! :D:p!

Anyway,

I am an experienced MMO player (played many MMO's including WoW for 5 years)

I have always been the healer, however I have always been interested in the complex of warriors, DPS warriors that is.

I got my inquis to level 22, and now I thought before I go any further I will finally make the class I'm interested in! My friend (also very MMO experienced) is a jugg and is very good at the class (always been the warrior).

Now is there any advice I should take to make the class good, and not so "Broken" as I keep hearing!

What companion should I go with, healer?

Should I buy gear (I'm fine with making money as I have a level 22 with 50k I can send that)

What Spec should i level with? (I was thinking carnage for raw damage hits? I think its that anyway!)

General Advice just to not suck! :)

Thanks warriors!

Steve

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, so people QQing are THAT retarded they cant even understand when to use skills?

You'd be suprised.

I have zero issues with my Marauder and the Annihilation tree.

If anything I would say it's a little OP.

It's not a button smash class, the rotation is never the same, it's all situational.

If you have the ability to adapt to a situation and overcome it, then you will love this class.

inb4 Teldaris trolls this thread telling you it's broken.

Edited by Thundergulch

It's an interesting class to say the least. The only problem I have with it is now during the 40+ class quest missions I have to abuse game mechanics to make fights go my way.

To me, that takes away the immersion of the story line. You're supposed to be a fantastically powerful Sith Lord who is being beat by training sticks.

At least all your class fights aren't tuned for the caster and not at all for the melee...

I enjoy my marauder. I admit I am taking it slow and not terribly worried about doing badly or trying to rush content.

But it certainly isn't hard to the point where you will bash your head against an encounter for hours.

1-28 the Anni tree is a lot of fun solo and very effective. Things slow down in the 30s but the Quinn companion makes it tolerable even if a tad slow. I just switched to Rage in the mid 30s and it is more playable to me but not sure it would be as effective early on. I think the bleeds start getting hammered by armor and misses on the higher level mobs but Anni is still playable.

Gear is easily picked up as you go no need to buy anything. However finding a set of decent looking armor will likely be a challenge. Most marauders look like a dominatrix or Gimp.

The biggest challenge to the class IMO is dealing with all the clickies. The progressions of skills on mobs are crucial and at times unforgiving compared to some other classes. A lot of classes play in a press 1-2-3 style. I find this class starts its progressions the same way but I find myself switching them up quickly based on what is in front of me.

If you run with a friend and two companions the build can really shine as a boss dropper. The class is very well built for 2 man PvE as Quinn is a good healer and the Marauder is a good DPS'r. Virtually any other player/companion to the mix and you will roll virtually all the content including heroic areas.

Once you become proficient and using X skill and Y time the class plays like a musical instrument. More complex, a bit harder to master but very satisfying once it starts harmonizing.

Edited by Straegen

You should do what you want and not listen to people complaining on the forums. I have had no issues with my Marauder in fact i find it more fun than my bounty hunter. Force leap never gets old. I love using it to cross large gaps that would other wise take several minutes to fight my way to the other side. Of course juggernaut can do it aswell but they dont put out as much DPS. Play the class you want. if you dont like it re-roll the main story line changes per class so it will keep you entertained.

1-28 the Anni tree is a lot of fun solo and very effective. Things slow down in the 30s but the Quinn companion makes it tolerable even if a tad slow. I just switched to Rage in the mid 30s and it is more playable to me but not sure it would be as effective early on. I think the bleeds start getting hammered by armor and misses on the higher level mobs but Anni is still playable.

Gear is easily picked up as you go no need to buy anything. However finding a set of decent looking armor will likely be a challenge. Most marauders look like a dominatrix or Gimp.

The biggest challenge to the class IMO is dealing with all the clickies. The progressions of skills on mobs are crucial and at times unforgiving compared to some other classes. A lot of classes play in a press 1-2-3 style. I find this class starts its progressions the same way but I find myself switching them up quickly based on what is in front of me.

If you run with a friend and two companions the build can really shine as a boss dropper. The class is very well built for 2 man PvE as Quinn is a good healer and the Marauder is a good DPS'r. Virtually any other player/companion to the mix and you will roll virtually all the content including heroic areas.

Once you become proficient and using X skill and Y time the class plays like a musical instrument. More complex, a bit harder to master but very satisfying once it starts harmonizing.

Very well said.

This man speaks the troof!

At least you came up with a reasonable statement instead of saying everyone that doesnt agree with you is stupid. Im having difficulty with this class and am trying to straighten it out. I hit 30 lastnight and have trouble with a strong 28 and a couple of his minions if i dont do things just right. Im not certain if its spec, gear , or what Im doing. What stance are you using etc?

Edited by vDarkHelmet

At least you came up with a reasonable statement instead of saying everyone that doesnt agree with you is stupid. Im having difficulty with this class and am trying to straighten it out. I hit 30 lastnight and have trouble with a strong 28 and a couple of his minions if i dont do things just right. Im not certain if its spec, gear , or what Im doing. What stance are you using etc?

Have you tried the Annihilation tree with Juyo form?

STR and Crit gear will make you a killing machine, and will laugh at Elites 2 levels above you.

I cannot believe the amount of hate posts on the class. It's a blast, the damage in Anni is awesome and the class quests are all challenging but doable.

Maras get hit hard, but that comes with the territory, expect to die a little bit, just Rez and give it another go. You have a ton of CDs that can help you survive, knowing how to rotate them is important, but I have not encountered any quest I absolutely couldn't do in the same level range (+\- 2).

Quinn is a decent healer if you have issues, but so far (lvl 40) I've stuck with vette and jaesa as the damage they put out is pretty awesome.

Don't be discouraged by the people on here whining. You need to use almost every skill you learn to be effective, but it's damn fun.

Good luck

STR and Crit gear will make you a killing machine, and will laugh at Elites 2 levels above you.

The only problem with marauder is it's squishines, you just gotta use your defensive cooldowns very often for everything and play smart with your comp if you don't like using Quinn (people who progressed far enough in a story actually have good reasons not to use Quinn as the guy responsible for keeping you alive...). You die easily when you slack off/don't pay attention and interrupt stuff/stun at the right moment etc. For people who want to play more casually a BH is way better suited than a Marauder. I like the class, it has problems but so does almost every class, but it surely is not suited for beginners who want to level easily.

In a grp is where the Marauder can truly shine, DPS is amazing, utility is great, but it relies heavily on grpplay in PVP (at least if your enemy doesn't ignore you or just stands around while you may dps on him as you like, you can be easy prey for ranged classes with knockbacks + slows and stuns... that for you are a living nightmare to any caster out there).

Ill give that a go as soon as i get back to town. Im afraid i listened to too many well meaning people tell me to go carnage. Thanks for the tip

Most the marauder QQ come down to PvP. In PvE we're more than fine.

In pvp we lack too many thing. the Class(specially rage) has all the damage you'll ever need but lack survivability. anni has the best defence out of all 3 spec but then you hope you can berserk -> put all bleed on your target before he stun you and blow ou up before you can even use deadly saber.

I think we're the only class without a stun/Cc that does not break on damage.

those who cry about PvE marauder are doing it wrong, those who claim the marauder is OP in pvp are most likely hacking so they can attack while stunned and rooted at range.

inb4 screenshot of 300k damage done in warzone as if it meant anything

Hmm, so people QQing are THAT retarded they cant even understand when to use skills?

Never, ever, ever, take what people say about class balance on the forums seriously. Ever!!

There are to many mentally handicapped people who think that it's the class and not them. There are still plenty of reasonable people that will tell you, SW, Juggernaut, or Marauder are fine, and the QQ is unwarranted. I can tell you, from having a lvl 48 in Beta, that they're fine. It just takes for you to understand the class, and set up a lot of your abilities to hot keys, so you can use them correctly when the time calls for it. Using your abilities correctly really is the key to playing the SW.

Never, ever, ever, take what people say about class balance on the forums seriously. Ever!!

There are to many mentally handicapped people who think that it's the class and not them. There are still plenty of reasonable people that will tell you, SW, Juggernaut, or Marauder are fine, and the QQ is unwarranted. I can tell you, from having a lvl 48 in Beta, that they're fine. It just takes for you to understand the class, and set up a lot of your abilities to hot keys, so you can use them correctly when the time calls for it. Using your abilities correctly really is the key to playing the SW.

ding ding ding ding we have a winner!

Give that man a cigar!!!!

The class has problems alot of problems, most of the people who say it is fine don't play as carnage.

There is alot of bugs, but the people on the forums have this huge ego problem that they think they are better than others.

This class is easy to play, but under power in carnage tree. The other trees I don't care or want to care about. Carnage fits more of my play style and sadly in pve it's broken because of the lack of defense.

Mara will get some buffs in the future, until that time stay away from carnage, while it can work the other two specs work better.

PVE Marauder basics:

#1. Keep your gear as up to date as possible, especially your saber hilts. You rely on killing things fast so neglecting your damage output is just making things harder on yourself.

#2. Use your defensive cooldowns and interrupts. Disruption is off the GCD so if you don't use it, you're taking more damage than you need to. Marauders can actually take a bit of punishment but you have to use the abilities available to you.

#3. Prioritize your attacks according to your talent tree. If you have a juiced up Smash or Force Scream about to come off cooldown, don't use Rupture unless you have rage to burn. Make certain your strongest attacks go off ASAP.

4. Lowest HP targets always die first.

5. Stay out of the fire, even if it means you stop doing damage. Dead Marauders always do zero DPS.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.