Security Key Dying

HekaHeh

The app has no account information. Stealing a phone for the purpose of gaining access to your SWTOR account is a bit of a stretch. Or, if someone steals a phone and sees the SWTOR app and says "if only we knew this person's SWTOR account name and password we could compromise their account muahahaha", is a bigger stretch. The first thing they do to stolen phones is wipe them. They don't care what's on them, only that they can quickly turn around and sell them.

I tend to agree with the final point (about wipe-then-sell), *but* many people *also* have their phones configured so they can read email, and that will leak information like ***crazy***, including e.g. SWTOR account information (notably the account email address), although quite frankly, it's all the other information that's more likely to be interesting for a phone thief.

The app has no account information. Stealing a phone for the purpose of gaining access to your SWTOR account is a bit of a stretch. Or, if someone steals a phone and sees the SWTOR app and says "if only we knew this person's SWTOR account name and password we could compromise their account muahahaha", is a bigger stretch. The first thing they do to stolen phones is wipe them. They don't care what's on them, only that they can quickly turn around and sell them.

It's not that long of a stretch. Steve was able to connect the dots. Phones contain everything. It would be very easy to find out someone's account name and crack the password, if one was determined to do so. Yeah, a SWTOR account doesn't hold a lot of value to someone who's unfamiliar to it, but there was that Diablo III virtual goods theft case in the US. There was also a Runescape virtual theft case in the Netherlands, and there was another one in China. Also, for those that have credit card information stored, someone could get ahold of that if their account were compromised. If something has value to you, you want to protect it.

The law has a long way to go to catch up, but precedents have begun to be set in nations around the world in regards to the legal status of virtual goods/money in games. It just a matter of time until virtual crimes are treated like real world crimes, at least for theft. There's bound to be cases in the future that involve crimes far worse than theft.

One time, someone was following someone around at Fleet, throwing snowballs at them (and this wasn't during the Life Day event). The target was clearly upset and told the guy to stop. Me and another guy also told him to stop, and tried to calm down the target. And then things got serious as the bullying continued.

The target threatened self-harm. We took him to the other guy's stronghold and stayed with the target for a while. Thankfully, he dealt with stuff like this for a living, and knew exactly what to do. The target seemed to have some kind of mental impairment. He collected enough information to make a report to the admins.

You never know what's real and what's fake on the internet, but when in doubt, you must treat it as real. I shudder to think what would've happened if no one stepped in. In the future, that bully may have been subject to legal punishment. Look at cyberbullying. People get punished for bullying people on social media. Unfortunately, some horrible events usually unfold before any action is taken against them.

Anyway, I digress. I still think a physical security key is better and an appropriate secondary form of account protection. People put a lot of time and money into these games. It's not the end of the world if something happens, but I'll bet you'd feel violated if someone stole items or credits or hijacked your account completely.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
It's not that long of a stretch. Steve was able to connect the dots. Phones contain everything. It would be very easy to find out someone's account name and crack the password, if one was determined to do so. Yeah, a SWTOR account doesn't hold a lot of value to someone who's unfamiliar to it, but there was that Diablo III virtual goods theft case in the US. There was also a Runescape virtual theft case in the Netherlands, and there was another one in China. Also, for those that have credit card information stored, someone could get ahold of that if their account were compromised. If something has value to you, you want to protect it.

The law has a long way to go to catch up, but precedents have begun to be set in nations around the world in regards to the legal status of virtual goods/money in games. It just a matter of time until virtual crimes are treated like real world crimes, at least for theft. There's bound to be cases in the future that involve crimes far worse than theft.

One time, someone was following someone around at Fleet, throwing snowballs at them (and this wasn't during the Life Day event). The target was clearly upset and told the guy to stop. Me and another guy also told him to stop, and tried to calm down the target. And then things got serious as the bullying continued.

The target threatened self-harm. We took him to the other guy's stronghold and stayed with the target for a while. Thankfully, he dealt with stuff like this for a living, and knew exactly what to do. The target seemed to have some kind of mental impairment. He collected enough information to make a report to the admins.

You never know what's real and what's fake on the internet, but when in doubt, you must treat it as real. I shudder to think what would've happened if no one stepped in. In the future, that bully may have been subject to legal punishment. Look at cyberbullying. People get punished for bullying people on social media. Unfortunately, some horrible events usually unfold before any action is taken against them.

Anyway, I digress. I still think a physical security key is better and an appropriate secondary form of account protection. People put a lot of time and money into these games. It's not the end of the world if something happens, but I'll bet you'd feel violated if someone stole items or credits or hijacked your account completely.

None of the stories you shared involved 2 factor authentication which is what a security key is... So yes, it is a huge stretch to think someone is going to steal your security key AND your SWTOR login info. They would need your actual phone or your backup keys. If they have access to your phone, it is reasonable to believe they could have physical access to your physical token meaning it is no more secure than the app...

I like my physical key because there's no hassle when I get a new phone. I'm going to have to transfer to the app though because my CE physical keyfob is going to die on me soon...